Default Gold Coast sports curse

Hi guys. I came across this just before and wondering your opinion on it http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_sports_curse

I'm sure I don't have to detail rugby league's failures to some of you on here but I'm a sucker for superstitions.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorsfan1 View Post
    Hi guys. I came across this just before and wondering your opinion on it http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_sports_curse

I'm sure I don't have to detail rugby league's failures to some of you on here but I'm a sucker for superstitions.
    No real opinion on it mate - nothing new in it. In regard to League failures it should be noted that the only reason the Chargers stopped was because it was a trade off following the getting together of the ARL and Super League sides. The Chargers had over $1million in the bank when they had the rug pulled.
    More relevant is that due to TV deals now the AFL and NRL are flush with funds and they can prop sides up to stop them going under. For example the Suns have received $33 million in AFL funding in the last two years and obviously the Titans have been bailed out for about $7 million recently. Therefore it's unlikely that the Suns or Titans will be going anywhere this time around.

South Qld Crushers, Brisbane Bears, Brisbane Bullets, Brisbane Bandits...
    Brisbane is such a sporting graveyard, they should stop trying.

Australian Sporting Codes on a whole struggle for various reasons. Just the throw up a few, the size of our country is quite vast with a relatively small population in comparison with a lot of other countries. And the costs are probably more as well, and sponsorship dollars don't come close to keeping clubs afloat. It's why rapid or ill thought out plans to expand a code like the Super League did was doomed to fail. Because the fan base isn't there 'n the costs to move clubs resources (players, coaches, etc) around to away games each time can be a huge financial burden on any club.

So yeah, it's more of a demographics thing to me, moreso than just the Gold Coast is a graveyard of failed Sporting Fanchises.
    Last edited by Toads; 04-04-15 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    South Qld Crushers, Brisbane Bears, Brisbane Bullets, Brisbane Bandits...
    Brisbane is such a sporting graveyard, they should stop trying.
    You forgot the Brisbane Turd Burglars.

In fact, the Gold Coast is a sports incubator, if you can survive on the Coast then you are truly meritorious.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Brisbane Bandits are back and soon the Brisbane Bullets will be back.

But I take your point. You can also add Brisbane Strikers at NSL level and Brisbane Bluetongues ice hockey.

Crushers were murdered in the first degree by the Broncos. :/ So were the Chargers with the Broncos and their SEQLD exclusivity clause.

We really need a NEVER FORGET SUPER LEAGUE banner at derbies.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Geezus, I thought we had it bad over our short existence. That was until I wondered why all this talk recently of the Brisbane Roar was in financial strife, so with that I did a little bit of googling, here's what surfaced..

Currently, the club is owned by:

The Bakrie Group – 100%

Brisbane Roar was established by Queensland Lions SC in March 2005 as the team that would represent Brisbane in the newly formed A-League. Queensland Lions held a majority share in the club through to 2008. It is understood that in 2008 the 25% share owned by Queensland Lions was bought by the Roar board at a discount. This led to financial instability in the club and rumours of the club handing back its A-League licence to Football Federation Australia (FFA). On 16 April 2009 reports surfaced that the FFA were willing to purchase up to a 55% share in the Roar to ensure its financial stability. This 55% encompassed CEO Lawrence Oudendyk's 15% per cent interest, the 25% previously owned by Queensland Lions and the 15% share owned by Rob Jones and Rob Jansen. FFA advised that any takeover by the FFA would see Oudendyk replaced as CEO.[36] Ultimately a new Brisbane-based ownership structure was formed with investors Emmanuel Drivas, Emmanuel Kokoris, Claude Baradel and Serge Baradel taking over 100% ownership of the club.

On 30 April 2009 the FFA confirmed their offer to take a controlling share in the Roar.[37] The new ownership group declined the FFA's assistance on 22 May 2009.[38] The owners' commitment to the club was reinforced in a statement released by Emmanuel Drivas on behalf of the owners on 12 April 2010 after further speculation that the Roar would require financial assistance from the FFA after a poor 2009–10 season.[39]

In March 2011, just a week after the club won its first Grand Final, the FFA would take back the club's licence, agreeing to fund the club until new owners were found. Football Federation Australia CEO Ben Buckley thanked the previous owners for pouring money into the Roar, who could not keep up with the future costs for the club.[40]

On 4 October 2011, The World Game reported that Indonesian mining magnate, The Bakrie Group, would takeover ownership of the club from the FFA under a 10-year term. Under the terms of the deal, The Bakrie Group paid A$8 million for a 70% share of the club, with the FFA retaining the remaining 30% share. Under the terms of this deal, the Bakrie Group had the option to purchase a further 20% stake in the club with the FFA holding the remaining 10% share. The Bakrie Group also own Indonesia Super League club Arema Cronus and Belgian Second Division club C.S. Visé. Following this change of ownership, the new chairman of the Roar was announced as Dali Tahir.[41]

After becoming the first majority-share foreign owner of an A-League team, on 6 February 2012, the FFA announced that Bakrie had acquired 100 percent ownership of the Brisbane club.[42]

On the 30 of June, it was reported that the Roar's owners, The Bakrie Group, were 9 billion dollars in debt, after having promising to inject 3.5 million dollars into the club. It was later revealed that players and staff =who were due to paid on 15 June – have yet to be remunerated for this month amid growing concerns over the ongoing viability of the three-time champion under the control of the Bakries.[43]

It was announced on 10 July 2015, Brisbane Roar owner The Bakrie Group will sell the A-League club and a new owner will own the club later this month.[44] On the 25th July the QRU threatened to wind up the Brisbane Roar due to unpaid debts
    Source: Brisbane Roar FC Ownership and finances

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    We really need a NEVER FORGET SUPER LEAGUE banner at derbies.
    Why this isn't the focal point of all our Brisbane hate is just beyond me ... the one thing we will always have over the Donkeys is that they were the instigators of one of the greatest sporting scams ever and we should be forever reminding them.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

With 9billion debt, Im sure the Roar are the least of their problems!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Why this isn't the focal point of all our Brisbane hate is just beyond me ... the one thing we will always have over the Donkeys is that they were the instigators of one of the greatest sporting scams ever and we should be forever reminding them.
    You are dead right.

A nice banner with NEVER FORGET SUPER LEAGUE with their rip off superman S logo would be a good start.

Of course this wont come from the club, but needs to come from the fans. And it's fair enough because the Broncos destroyed the Chargers and Crushers.