Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

I think they had a good go tonight, apart from a few inexperienced decisions they were right in that game.

James, Sezer, Mosley (in attack) and Pettyborne were great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Yup.. Keep LG, drop Zillman, slide Hoffman to FB for the full 80 minutes 'n throw Crampton into the left Centre (just for the hell of it).
    Put Taylor at Centre.....but I agree.....must keep Hoffman at fullback.

LG has had two games, I'm liking what I'm seeing. He's not shy in having a go.

The basic errors just smash us to pieces.

In what was an ordinary game to watch, i thought we did well to finish as close as we did. Never fun losing to the Broncos but after getting nothing from attacking their line for what seemed like 10 minutes, and then they jag 2 tries (Thaiday lost it, then Jack Reed just threw it over his head and happened to find Milford) i thought score could have been anything.

Moseley in defence was real solid. He's a superstar in the making.
    Ryan James was probably our best but his discipline is awful. Needs to be fixed.
    James Roberts is obviously our strike weapon, but his fitness level always seems poor. He appears gassed after 10 minutes.
    Despite 1 error, i thought Simpkins looked ok at dummy-half. I could live with that.
    Not ready to annoint Elgey yet. See flashes and definitely dont want Morts back, but unlike most i am not ready to let Sezer go just yet. Think we will have a tough decision on our hands who we keep. Would obviously like to keep both, but doubtful and am sure Manly will swoop.
    Priority #1 is a strike centre for next year. Gagai is top of the wishlist, but i think we could do a lot worse than Dale Copley. Always impressed with him every time i see him play. Has good pace for a big unit and defence is real solid as we saw tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    I am probably going to get crucified for this but Henry is not the coach we need for the future. He is not up to making the hard choices.

What a load of crap he hasn't even been here a full season....

The Good:

Kierran Moseley! Flashes of potential future greatness tonight. He was dynamic, especially in those first 15 minutes when we were at our best. The quicker he becomes a consistent 80min player for us, the better.

David Mead is just such a gun player. He runs harder than our forwards, chases harder than both our fullbacks, is busier than our halves, and is just a tough, tough footy player. He is so wasted out on that wing, as good as he is out there. I can't believe more of you don't see it.

Nate Myles running with some venom two weeks in a row! Is it Henry, or does he play better when chasing a contract? Either way, great to see.

Pettybourne and Paasi are great additions to our pack. Can build a team with them in it.

We are definitely playing with better structure in attack than we have in seasons gone by, and at times when Sezer or Elgey have floated across the line with decoy runners, we are stretching the defense and creating gaps, but we just aren't capitalising. A real fullback will help.

Although I really wanted to see Elgey throw a bit more at them tonight, especially with his short kicking game, as the broncos we're rushing up on us all night, and their make-shift full back was almost dodgier than ours, he still looks the goods to me. He was solid in defense and when running left to right across the field, linking up with sezer, looked threatening but he just didn't bring the confidence tonight. The young kid is obviously still finding his feet and is just a few game of a big performance i reckon. He should be told the #7 is his to loose over the next 5 rounds.

The Bad:

Throwing it to Roberts and hoping he does something is so frustrating to watch, because everyone in the stadium, including the opposition knows what's coming, and it just looks like we're bereft of ideas. The coach and our halves had all off-season to work on plays, and all i've seen so far over four rounds is short ball to James at the line, and throw it to Roberts in space, regardless of what the defense is doing.

Ryan James had his best game in the second row tonight. Physical, busy and saved LG's a** a few times. But he isn't a second rower. The one time he broke through the line was up the middle through tired ruck defenders. I don't think we're a team that can afford to play guys out of position, and while he hasn't been bad for us (penalties withstanding) he would be better up front.

I don't like the way Greg Bird is being used as wide running second rower in attack. He stiffles the play, and DT obviously doesn't know how to get involved. Bird needs to stay in the middle, and let Dave run the fringes. His playing for penalties is just sh*tty to watch also. The coach should tell him to get it out of his game.

Josh Hoffman - so far, all hype. Has delivered 0.

The Ugly:

William motherf*ing Zillman. Yuuuuuck. You know that sick feeling when you cop one in the beans and part of you wants to laugh while the other part needs to vomit? That's what it's like watching him mess-up the tap back, miss-time runs, go for one-on-one strips and miss the tackle all together, have just the fullback to beat and make himself look the fool, let his wingers take the bombs and run the 1 tackle runs week after week, year after year. GET RID OF HIM!!

People expecting Burr and Simpkins to be world beaters already. How many first grade games between them? Silly mistakes, yes. But experienced guys like Myles, James and Zillman are making just as many. Simpkins has been huge for us, and should NEVER have been used as a hooker. Stupid coaching. Burr has been unimpressive (confidence imo), but will be a very good player, and I'd rather we persevere than give the spot to Robinson or Ingram. Once Ioane and Hala are fit though, who knows

The thought of Mortimer being rushed back in after tonight makes me ill. I want to like Henry, I really do ...

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    I am probably going to get crucified for this but Henry is not the coach we need for the future. He is not up to making the hard choices.
    Lol, mate. You gotta look at the big picture. Henry as our Head Coach is probably one of the better things going for us.

Considering we don't have proper training facilities, our day to day management is operating out of the Council Chambers and at times out of Rebecca Frizelle office (no offence to Rebecca) 'n so on.. To be honest, I think we're very fortunate to even be fielding a team in the national comp, let alone all the juniour/younger squads.

But with that said, I do understand your point 'n share your anguish at times. But hey, we could be doing a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Lol, mate. You gotta look at the big picture. Henry as our Head Coach is probably one of the better things going for us.

Considering we don't have proper training facilities, our day to day management is operating out of the Council Chambers and at times out of Rebecca Frizelle office (no offence to Rebecca) 'n so on.. To be honest, I think we're very fortunate to even be fielding a team in the national comp, let alone all the juniour/younger squads.

But with that said, I do understand your point 'n share your anguish at times. But hey, we could be doing a lot worse.
    Thanks for putting things in perspective Toads. Good post mate.

I thought our first twenty or so minutes was the best we have looked all season. Need to get the penalties out of game (James), the young guns can make all the errors they want this season as long as they learn and improve, I don't care.

If Dave Taylor is going to be an impact player then maybe he should come on and make an impact into tired defence, but unfortunately he isn't breaking the tackles or getting the offloads away like we need.

One of the main problems I'm seeing is that we aren't controlling the ruck. Broncos were always elbows and knees and straight back up. We very rarely rolled them onto their back. With the quick play means we can't come off our line to defend so the opposition is getting easy metres.

I think everyone in section 22 now knows my feelings on Zillman. The minute he went to fullback we fell apart. Then when he had support in every direction and in every shape and form when he was one on one with Maranata (lachlan bloody useless maranta?!?!?!?!) he still can't make the right decision and almost cost us a try.

Anyway, a team that's $1.5 million under the cap vs a team that is conservatively $300000 over the cap with third party deals, I'd say we can hold our head up after that display.

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    The Good:

Kierran Moseley! Flashes of potential future greatness tonight. He was dynamic, especially in those first 15 minutes when we were at our best. The quicker he becomes a consistent 80min player for us, the better.

David Mead is just such a gun player. He runs harder than our forwards, chases harder than both our fullbacks, is busier than our halves, and is just a tough, tough footy player. He is so wasted out on that wing, as good as he is out there. I can't believe more of you don't see it.

Nate Myles running with some venom two weeks in a row! Is it Henry, or does he play better when chasing a contract? Either way, great to see.

Pettybourne and Paasi are great additions to our pack. Can build a team with them in it.

We are definitely playing with better structure in attack than we have in seasons gone by, and at times when Sezer or Elgey have floated across the line with decoy runners, we are stretching the defense and creating gaps, but we just aren't capitalising. A real fullback will help.

Although I really wanted to see Elgey throw a bit more at them tonight, especially with his short kicking game, as the broncos we're rushing up on us all night, and their make-shift full back was almost dodgier than ours, he still looks the goods to me. He was solid in defense and when running left to right across the field, linking up with sezer, looked threatening but he just didn't bring the confidence tonight. The young kid is obviously still finding his feet and is just a few game of a big performance i reckon. He should be told the #7 is his to loose over the next 5 rounds.

The Bad:

Throwing it to Roberts and hoping he does something is so frustrating to watch, because everyone in the stadium, including the opposition knows what's coming, and it just looks like we're bereft of ideas. The coach and our halves had all off-season to work on plays, and all i've seen so far over four rounds is short ball to James at the line, and throw it to Roberts in space, regardless of what the defense is doing.

Ryan James had his best game in the second row tonight. Physical, busy and saved LG's a** a few times. But he isn't a second rower. The one time he broke through the line was up the middle through tired ruck defenders. I don't think we're a team that can afford to play guys out of position, and while he hasn't been bad for us (penalties withstanding) he would be better up front.

I don't like the way Greg Bird is being used as wide running second rower in attack. He stiffles the play, and DT obviously doesn't know how to get involved. Bird needs to stay in the middle, and let Dave run the fringes. His playing for penalties is just sh*tty to watch also. The coach should tell him to get it out of his game.

Josh Hoffman - so far, all hype. Has delivered 0.

The Ugly:

William motherf*ing Zillman. Yuuuuuck. You know that sick feeling when you cop one in the beans and part of you wants to laugh while the other part needs to vomit? That's what it's like watching him mess-up the tap back, miss-time runs, go for one-on-one strips and miss the tackle all together, have just the fullback to beat and make himself look the fool, let his wingers take the bombs and run the 1 tackle runs week after week, year after year. GET RID OF HIM!!

People expecting Burr and Simpkins to be world beaters already. How many first grade games between them? Silly mistakes, yes. But experienced guys like Myles, James and Zillman are making just as many. Simpkins has been huge for us, and should NEVER have been used as a hooker. Stupid coaching. Burr has been unimpressive (confidence imo), but will be a very good player, and I'd rather we persevere than give the spot to Robinson or Ingram. Once Ioane and Hala are fit though, who knows

The thought of Mortimer being rushed back in after tonight makes me ill. I want to like Henry, I really do ...
    pretty good post.

only thing id add is that we DO see Meads benefit. at one point these thread were mead crazy, but we just got used to the fact that no matter how well he plays and how bad the FB plays...hes not getting moved. He was third or 4th in the forum voted player of the year and i think if there was a poll for favourite player on this forum, the titanium kumul would probably take it out. he was awesome tonight though, and with Hoffman going ok but not setting world on fire, i think Mead could still be our best fullback.

Zillman...soon as he went to FB we went to pot. i have good seats at game, and Hoff is WAY more vocal and uses hands and yells with a ho**** throat for guys to move, push, come back or whatever he thinks is needed. Zillman does not. he had another shocker tonight and i just dont know how long he can survive. its gone past rediculous.

someone needs to tell someone at the titans that he isnt the messiah bringing tonnes of women to the games like im sure they think he is. he is frustrating the crap out of whatever remnants of a supporter base we have left.

that all having been said. we played well in parts tonight. especially the first 20 or so. we were physical, urgent, composed and just lacked class and attacking prowess that comes from more and mroe training, but it was still an improvement and we are sowly and surely heading forwards. hard calls on players notwithstanding...im ok with hwere we are at. We have found moseley, petty, paasi, LG in a short period..it is coming together i believe.

and at least 2 of broncs tries were pretty freaky / flukey. we just lacked the polish to capitalise on our possession dominance.

Junior

Long time lurker, first time poster, yadda, yadda, yadda. What is it with Zillman being in the side week in, week out? Everyone jokes about it - and it is a joke - but there's no way Neil Henry can be this obtuse. He seems capable of making the hard calls (mostly) with other players, but with Zillman...hell, Zillman could actively be scoring tries for the opposition and he'd still be chosen every week. I'm sure he's a stand-up guy who spends his days off volunteering in soup kitchens and all that sort of stuff, but I genuinely want a frickin' answer from the coach on this. Can any of you veteran forum members shed some light on this? Am I crazy to think that not everything is...above board with team selection?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    only thing id add is that we DO see Meads benefit. at one point these thread were mead crazy, but we just got used to the fact that no matter how well he plays and how bad the FB plays...hes not getting moved. He was third or 4th in the forum voted player of the year and i think if there was a poll for favourite player on this forum, the titanium kumul would probably take it out. he was awesome tonight though, and with Hoffman going ok but not setting world on fire, i think Mead could still be our best fullback.
    #bringbackthemeadfest

I can't say i noticed Hoffman's organisation at the sharks game, but tbh I didn't keep an eye on him for the 5 seconds he got back there. While he might have a big voice, as far as action goes he was as quite as a field-mouse tonight.

It goes without saying that if Zillman is the benchmark, Hoffman is a deadset superstar... But is he really the best fullback in our team? I know, I know - broken record, Mead won't play back there blah blah blah. But i recall Hoffman getting talked up mighty hard this off-season yet he still has no line breaks, no line break assists, no tries, low running meters, etc. I know the whole team isn't giving him much to work with, but up against his ex-team tonight ... I just wanted to see something from him.

But i agree with you DB. Over-all signs are positive.
    Last edited by K2G; 04-04-15 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle Titan View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster, yadda, yadda, yadda. What is it with Zillman being in the side week in, week out? Everyone jokes about it - and it is a joke - but there's no way Neil Henry can be this obtuse. He seems capable of making the hard calls (mostly) with other players, but with Zillman...hell, Zillman could actively be scoring tries for the opposition and he'd still be chosen every week. I'm sure he's a stand-up guy who spends his days off volunteering in soup kitchens and all that sort of stuff, but I genuinely want a frickin' answer from the coach on this. Can any of you veteran forum members shed some light on this? Am I crazy to think that not everything is...above board with team selection?
    Whilst we've long been suspicious of certain players having pictures of various coaches in questionable situations with animals...at the moment i think hes on a good contract and is vice captain and people arent prepared to call him on his non performance.

I personally cant understand it, seeing as the coaches own career is tied to the success of the team, and the total package has been hindering that endeavour since coming on board. if anything he is getting worse, but i guess he would have little to fear knowing he wont be dropped.

i meant to add to previous post. on the reed / Milf try.... meady chased, and Zillman, Taylor and a couple of others were chasing behind that group, but Zill gave up while Taylor continued to chase and almost saved the try.

If the 120kg Taylor can do it, why cant the worlds most famous and excellent trainer of supreme fitness chase all the way? poor effort buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    pretty good post.

that all having been said. we played well in parts tonight. especially the first 20 or so. we were physical, urgent, composed and just lacked class and attacking prowess that comes from more and mroe training, but it was still an improvement and we are sowly and surely heading forwards. hard calls on players notwithstanding...im ok with hwere we are at. We have found moseley, petty, paasi, LG in a short period..it is coming together i believe.

and at least 2 of broncs tries were pretty freaky / flukey. we just lacked the polish to capitalise on our possession dominance.
    The comments above say it best for me. I agree with all the comments about Zillman (again) and words just fail me about him. I have a lot of faith in Henry but I think he needs to make the big call, surely. I am just finding is extremely annoying that Hoffman is named a FB, starts there and within 15-20 minutes is moved. How can Hoff settle into the FB spot if that keeps happening.

Generally I didn't think we had too many bad players tonight and as DB says a couple of the Broncs tries were flukey. I might have missed him but I thought Dave Taylor didn't get as many minutes tonight.
    The main comment I would like to make is despite a number of posters here expressing various levels of disappointment after that game I, like DB, am quite satisfied with the way the team is developing and the emergence of a few young blokes. The mistakes are frustrating but there is far far less of the boring 5 hit ups and kick and I find them far more watchable this year. A few of us on here stated that all they wanted out of the year was a better style of play and the development of some young players. After only 5 games I reckon we are well ahead of schedule. Give it time and add DCE, hopefully a class centre and maybe a top forward and we will go places.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 04-04-15 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    #bringbackthemeadfest

I can't say i noticed Hoffman's organisation at the sharks game, but tbh I didn't keep an eye on him for the 5 seconds he got back there. While he might have a big voice, as far as action goes he was as quite as a field-mouse tonight.

It goes without saying that if Zillman is the benchmark, Hoffman is a deadset superstar... But is he really the best fullback in our team? I know, I know - broken record, Mead won't play back there blah blah blah. But i recall Hoffman getting talked up mighty hard this off-season yet he still has no line breaks, no line break assists, no tries, low running meters, etc. I know the whole team isn't giving him much to work with, but up against his ex-team tonight ... I just want to something from him.

But i agree with you DB. Over-all signs are positive.
    yeah he didn't do a lot in attack (did have atry assist though, but it was a pick up and pass, not alot of skill in it), and im definitely not sold on him, despite being eager for his arrival in the off-season.
    but my point was more his voice in Defence kept us composed and in order. once he moved to centres, we lost that general directing us from behind.

not arguing or really disagreeing with you, just making sure im clear on exactly what i was saying. i really like your posts mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    The comments above say it best for me. I agree with all the comments about Zillman (again) and words just fail me about him. I have a lot of faith in Henry but I think he needs to make the big call, surely. Generally I didn't think we had too many bad players tonight and as DB says a couple of the Broncs tries were flukey. I might have missed him but I thought Dave Taylor didn't get as many minutes tonight.
    The main comment I would like to make is despite a number of posters here expressing various levels of disappointment after that game I, like DB, am quite satisfied with the way the team is developing and the emergence of a few young blokes. The mistakes are frustrating but there is far far less of the boring 5 hit ups and kick and I find them far more watchable this year. A few of us on here stated that all they wanted out of the year was a better style of play and the development of some young players. After only 5 games I reckon we are well ahead of schedule. Give it time and add DCE, hopefully a class centre and maybe a top forward and we will go places.
    i am trying to figure out for certain, but i think Taylor played prop tonight? or middle second rower (which is same thing) and might have done more work and so had less minutes.

tonight was the first time in AAAGGES that i really enjoyed the game and the night. The derby gave it a buzz, and our team was more interested than usual and i just thoroughly enjoyed it all round. we were much better to watch and was a great night at CBUS. We still have so much to improve too, so we should continue to enjoy our matches
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 04-04-15 at 12:41 AM.

I swear its like zillman has a big dark dirty secret over the club and if we don't pick him he will spill