High-flying Anthony Don emerges as Titans’ try-scoring weapon

HE once scored 40 tries in a bush footy season and now towering Titans winger Anthony Don has blossomed into the Gold Coast’s most potent try-scoring weapon.

With his 17 four-pointers in 30 NRL matches, Don has the best strike rate of any current Titan, crossing the line every 1.76 games.

And he’s only marginally behind cult winger Matt Petersen (14 tries in 21 games) as the Gold Coast’s most deadly player in its eight-year history.

Don is one of rugby league’s great stories, quitting his job as a physical education teacher to pursue an NRL career after scoring 40 tries for the Grafton Ghosts in 2010.

He made the transition from Burleigh Bears to a first grade debut aged 25 and is scoring tries at a greater rate than renowned Titans speedsters Kevin Gordon (1.98) and David Mead (2).

But Don is adamant he’s just cashing in on lost time.

“I wasn’t very good when I was a junior,” he admitted.

“In under-16s I didn’t get many. I started building up in under-18s, then when I was in uni playing rugby I scored a few.

“Back in Grafton I scored a few too.

“I think I’m improving each week, which is the main goal and I’ve scored a few tries.”

Despite impressing in the pre-season, Don started the year in the Intrust Super Cup as coach Neil Henry opted for the experienced Gordon on the left flank.

Don admits he was disappointed on missing out on Round 1 selection but an *unfortunate training accident left Gordon with a broken nose and Don with a chance to shine.

“It was pretty disappointing because I thought I had a pretty good pre-season and trialled well,” he said.

“I was pretty shattered but that’s the reality of NRL.

“I needed to work on a few things in my game and there were some things he thought Kevvy did a bit better.

“It was unfortunate Kevvy got injured but lucky for me.

“I’ve got to make the most of the opportunity.”

Don will play his third straight match of the year against the Sharks at Cronulla tomorrow with the Titans looking for their first win.

Gordon is expected to make his return for Tweed Heads and Petersen said Don deserved his spot.

“I rate Donny. I know Meady and Kevin Gordon are great players but I watch Donny play and he reminds me of myself,” he said.

“He does his work and can finish a try as good as anybody.

“Sometimes he gets overlooked. Every time I watch him play I’m impressed with him.

“He just goes out there and competes, takes the hard carries coming off their line and can find his way over the tryline.

“Everything’s about speed now. You read the stats and see guys who are 100kg and can run fast, but he’s a guy who turns up every week, gives his 100 per cent and does his job.

“His try-scoring rate is high. If he can string 22-24 games together in a year he will score around 15 tries, and that’s what you want from a winger.

“Hopefully he can make it his own position and stay there all year.”

Don has been told to *increase his involvement and talk more in defence, while his ball-planting could also do with some practice.

“I don’t like diving,” he laughed.

“As long as it’s down with two hands it’s all right.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/