Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    With his uncles’ support, Titans’ Kane Elgey to debut for dad
    THE AUSTRALIAN MARCH 28, 2015 12:00AM

Those who know Gold Coast *Titans rookie Kane Elgey say the turning point was only a couple of years ago. Confronted by the death of his father Ron — taken in his 40s by leukaemia — Elgey had a choice. He could allow the grief to consume him. Or he could honour his father on the football field.

“His dad wouldn’t miss a game,” Elgey’s uncle Russ Kerr told The Weekend Australian.

“He was his rock. He would cart him to footy training and games. His dad was there the whole time. For Kane, seeing his dad going through that — it would have been over a three or four-year period — is amazing.

“He was at the crossroads. His mates were all surfing and having a great time. Kids at that age can go one way or the other. He just knuckled down and wanted to do it for his dad and prove to everyone he was capable.

“He is a very talented kid.”

Elgey will make his first grade debut for the Titans today against Cronulla at Toyota Stadium. Off contract at the end of the year, he will make his bow as rival clubs, most notably Manly, circle.

It’s a far cry from this time last season, when Elgey didn’t know where rugby league would take him. Amid the concern over his *future, he started working with another of his uncles, Dan Davidson, in his pool plumbing business.

Elgey would spend his winter days in icy water searching for leaks before heading to training in search of an opportunity.

“He got a bit worried,” Davidson said. “He was going so well and that year he expected something to happen. There wasn’t a lot happening until the end.

“He wanted to do something in case it didn’t work out. It is freezing cold in winter but because Kane had his ice baths at training, it didn’t worry him.

“It was the best winter I had.”

By year’s end, Elgey had been named in the Holden Cup team of the year and earned a new one-year deal with the Titans. It got even better on Dally M medal night when he was named Holden Cup player of the year.

“When he joined the Titans’ full-time squad for the pre-season, that was the end of it for me,” *Davidson said.

“I said ‘can you help me on a Saturday?’. Kane said ‘no mate, sorry’. He didn’t want to let me down.

“But I said if football is where you’re going, that’s what you have to do.’’

It’s unlikely to be necessary. Elgey has had to bide his time in the Queensland Cup this season but an injury to Daniel Mortimer has created an opportunity for the 21-year-old.

His selection has given him the chance to honour his father on the game’s biggest stage.

“His dad and I would be watching him all the time,” Kerr said.

“To see that (Ron’s death) happen and then Kane kick on — I have an unbelievable amount of admiration for what he has done and the way he has achieved it.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/
    Go get em LG!!

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Great story about Kane but my confidence about winning gas taken a huge dive with Srama being named in the squad he looks to be playing without a lot of confidence..
    im not sure why he would have any confidence. he tried / got told he could leave in off season and then he played backup to a one-gamer for round one, and got shunted right out of team for someone coming back from drug charges.

i think Mosely is better than him and Falloon is marginally better, so i don't disagree with him being left out, but i can see why he would be jumping at shadows and not feeling great about things.

Gold Coast Titans Kane Elgey a target for Cronulla Sharks on his NRL debut

GOLD Coast Titans rookie Kane Elgey has been warned to expect a defensive examination against Cronulla, with the Sharks likely to target the young halfback in his NRL debut.

The arrival of Elgey for injured half Daniel Mortimer has forced a big change in the Titans, with five-eighth Aidan Sezer to be switched to the right side of the field in both attack and defence so the 21-year-old can play his more natural game on the left.

Titans coach Neil Henry hopes the move ignites his attack, particularly bringing into play Dave Taylor and James Roberts running off Sezer, but warned Elgey his job will be the toughest of all.

“I suppose it’s a tough initiation. He has an away game against Cronulla at Remondis Stadium, two sides that haven’t had a win this year so it’s going to be one of those games where it’s tough out there,” Henry said.

“(Defence) has been a focus for him all pre-season, he has put on a few kilos and has been a bit stronger in his contact and he has been good at Queensland Cup.

“He has to ramp it up now, it’s a new level and he’ll have (Jayson) Bukuya running at him on that side of the field too.

“We’re confident that the men around him can help out as well and he’ll hold his own.

“He has some senior players around him as well, Ryan James outside him. But as Ryan said he is expected to make his tackles, it’s not up to Ryan to make his tackles. He will be there and be a presence for him.

As the reigning under 20s player of the year, Elgey comes into first grade carrying more expectation than any Titan graduate before him.

Some of the previous winners of that NYC award like Ben Hunt and David Klemmer have gone on to play for Australia, while five of the six are now established NRL players.

Titans skipper Nate Myles said the NRL team had taken notice of Elgey’s form last year in the junior competition and believed he was ready to step up to the elite level.

“His efforts in a side not doing fantastic last year to achieve that (award) we’ve certainly noticed,” Myles said.

“I think his style of football is confident but him as a kid he is a very shy, laughing sort of humble dude.

“Probably the last two days he has got a bit lippy (confident around the team), but before that his pre-season was fantastic. He trained hard and is getting the results off that.”

While the Sharks and Titans were the two least productive points scoring teams last year, Myles said it was important Gold Coast travelled to Sydney focused on producing a polished performance and not simply expecting another “dogfight”.

“Cronulla is a team that goes well with second phase play, they have a lot of offloaders in their team so we need to shut them down,” he said.

“We need to make sure we’re not just going down for a dogfight, we need to keep improving.

Our ball work and defence needs to be on the rise.

“We need to keep improving in all areas. If we’re going out there and our effort is through the roof but ball control and consistency with execution is down we won’t be happy.

“We need to make sure our effort matches our polish.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans attack shifts for rookie inclusion

2014 NYC Player of the Year Kane Elgey will make his NRL debut for the Titans in Round 4. Credit: Robb Cox. Copyright: NRL Photos.
    The Titans will unveil a new-look attack against the Sharks on Saturday night in an attempt to exploit the speed of centre James Roberts and ease the transition of NRL debutant Kane Elgey into the top grade.

Elgey's inclusion at halfback comes at the expense of Daniel Mortimer who is expected to miss at least three weeks with a wrist injury suffered in the early minutes against the Knights last weekend.

Although five-eighth Aidan Sezer has played predominantly on the left edge in his four years at the Gold Coast he will shift to the right against Cronulla in order to accommodate Elgey who has played the majority of his footy also on the left.

As a result Sezer – who averaged 10 more touches per game than Mortimer in the first three rounds – will link up with the Titans' two major attacking threats on the right-hand side of the field in Roberts and Dave Taylor, an exciting prospect according to coach Neil Henry.

"We need to get the ball out to those guys at particular times and Dave will be better for that first run last week, so that could be a bit of a plan," Henry said on the eve of the clash of two teams still searching for their first win of the year.

"Aidan played a fair bit of junior footy on the right side of the field so it is a change-up for him, but he's excited too with Dave Taylor out on that side and James Roberts. He's looking forward to giving them some early ball.

"Aidan was quite OK with [the move to the right]. Kane's a left-footed kicker as well so it does change that up a little bit, we've got two left-footers out there doing most of the kicking but I'd expect Aidan will try to take a dominant role with our kicking."

It's been a rapid rise to the top grade for Elgey who graduated from the under-20s competition last year as the Holden Cup Player of the Year playing in a team that while competitive finished well down the ladder.

His focus through the pre-season has been to add some kilograms to his now 85-kilogram frame and improve his defence and captain Nate Myles is eager to see how he performs in his NRL debut.

"He's a fantastic player and for us as a playing group we need to make sure that it's an enjoyable experience. I'm very excited to see Kane play and he deserves his go," Myles said.

"He's gone back and done his time and is playing some great football so we need to make sure it's an enjoyable one for him.

"His style of football is confident but him as a kid, he's a very shy, laughing sort of humble dude so we'll enjoy to have him up there.

"Kane has been around the traps for a while now. NYC player of the year and everyone recognises that in a side that wasn't doing fantastic; for him to achieve that was definitely noticed."

Titans prop and former Shark Luke Douglas conceded earlier in the week that the prospect of earning their first win of the year will be looming large in the minds of the players from both teams but Henry believes the addition of Elgey will bring a positive response from his teammates.

"It's certainly a tough initiation. He's got an away game against Cronulla at Remondis, two sides that haven't had a win this year. It's going to be tough out there for him but I'm confident he'll handle that on that left edge," Henry said.

"His mum will be going down, there will be support around him, it's a good occasion. The boys will want to do well for him so there's a bit of motivation there and added incentive to try to get our first win of the year."

http://www.nrl.com/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Paasi in, White out

- - - Updated - - -

Really happy for Agnatius, he's earnt that call up.

Is it like some sort of inside joke that William Zillman keeps being selected in to every team selection? Surely, it is.

i just saw him giving the speech in the huddle...oh lawdy

Complete lack of ball control - errors are killing us...

Do we have a clue? This defence is beyond the joke now. Theres no team here, just individuals.

F*(K - again??

Dodged a bullet … we have gone to pieces
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Zillman is a curse in this team I swear.

There are tries on offer if Sezer is willing to hit mead out wide but getting down that end is the problem. Sharks pack starting to click. It's not a bad effort tbh.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Great... I can't get livestream working...

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Great... I can't get livestream working...
    Not missing much, just combine the first 3 rounds 'n you'll get the picture to how we're looking (sorry to say).

LG is lookin' alright though, just seems a few of our regulars aren't use to him getting the ball away quicker than usual, and in turn coughing it up occasionally.
    Last edited by Toads; 28-03-15 at 05:28 PM.