Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My Titans dream

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Idiot
    What's wrong with disliking your teams local rivals? I'm sure over half of all sports fans do that. You cannot ignore the facts: The Broncos have been in the playoffs for a long time now, and they have an enormous talent pool. I think it's time for them to have a bad season and miss the finals.
    So the Broncos shouldnt be in the playoffs this year cause they have been one of the best teams of the past 10 years? This sounds like a typical case of tall poppy syndrome.....a desire to knock a person/persons down when they are doing well. If the Broncos play well and are in the top 8 then they deserve to be there. In fact any team that plays well and gets into the top 8 deserve to be there.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 08-03-06 at 05:23 PM.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

^ I just want a competition where different teams make the business end of the season- if the NRL was like the English Premier with the same teams at the top of the ladder every year, the finals would not be as interesting.

^ I just want a competition where different teams make the business end of the season- if the NRL was like the English Premier with the same teams at the top of the ladder every year, the finals would not be as interesting.
    As do I; but you cant help teams that always seem to make the finals. Melbourne Storm have made numerous finals recently....but you dont seem to be telling them to give way for other teams. I respect your opinon but you are mocking my team by saying that its their time to depart the finals because of the fact they have been there too much recently. As I have said in my previous post if any team is in the top 8 they deserve to be in the finals. Even if its the Broncos. We just have to wait 26ish weeks to find out who makes it.

Default Cliffy GC Needs to grow another head!!!!

I think Cliffy GC needs to grow a second head on he's shoulders, because with the two eyes he has at the moment he seems to be very one-eyed. Maybe with four eyes he's might see the picture with whats happening at the Broncos a little bit clearer( No offence to people who wear glasses) If he is claiming to be a LOCAL why dosn't he go back to Sydney and support Manly( The Silvertails). The only reason all these so called LOCALS bag the Broncos is because the have been so successful over the years and their southern teams haven't. If you don't like the local teams go home. Long Live The Brisbane Broncos until next year when the Titans SMASH Manly all over the park. Cheers Cliffy :fence: :fence: :fence:

Ah Ok then... I think this topic is headed somewhere I don't want to head...

As for it though.. I will say this... and that is that sure it is ok we dislike teams, I dislike the Roosters, and I dislike some of the things Brisbane does. HOWEVER that gives you no right ever to want a team to fail and become a disaster, and if you do think this.. IMO and only IMO... you should keep those opinions to yourself... there is no need to say something like that on a public forum...

AS FOR you all who are saying it would be nice to have different teams in the 8.... well get this, those teams who make the 8 constantly are there BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD. The good teams do well, and deserve where they are... there is no reason for everyone to be jealous... and this years NRL will be the closest hopefully in seasons.. so be happy about that.

I reckon RL fans should be happy that the comp is such a good one... and that we have strong teams. As much as I don't like them, I respect them for the dynasties they create.. the Broncos are one of the teams at the top of the dynasty tree... and until they break rules to win a comp.. then we have no right to bag them for being good..

That is my opinion take it or leave it.

What's wrong with disliking your teams local rivals? I'm sure over half of all sports fans do that. You cannot ignore the facts: The Broncos have been in the playoffs for a long time now, and they have an enormous talent pool. I think it's time for them to have a bad season and miss the finals.
    AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN!!!

Junior Titan

To me the top 8 is ridiculous, how can you lose more than you win and make a playoff series? It is (regarded by some clubs) as a major achievement in just making the 8th spot, I see it as a failure as you have just been the 8th worst team in the comp. Look at your win vs loss ratio and for and against that's the real test

Having 8 out of 15 teams qualify fo a final series is only for Tv ratings and a way to get extra publicity for sponsorship dollars

It is also adds weight to the popular theory that the competition is so close (this is not true at all) and everyone is a chance (everyone is a chance regardless of the numbers for finals footy, you've got to be in it to win it thoery)

For a true reflection of how close the comp is look at the for and against of all teams, some sides have 30% differential and the for and against when compared to the top 4 teams and the rest of the comp is highly imbalanced.

Everyone is a chance no matter how many teams can qualify for finals footy and surely the most consistent team should be rewarded an extra privilege for achieving that goal when finals time comes around.

If the veiw is the extra teams in the final series is a good thing then reduce the playoffs to 7 sides giving first past the post a week off in recognition for their achievement..What was wrong with the old 5 team final series?

Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by MOPL
    To me the top 8 is ridiculous, how can you lose more than you win and make a playoff series? It is (regarded by some clubs) as a major achievement in just making the 8th spot, I see it as a failure as you have just been the 8th worst team in the comp. Look at your win vs loss ratio and for and against that's the real test

Having 8 out of 15 teams qualify fo a final series is only for Tv ratings and a way to get extra publicity for sponsorship dollars

It is also adds weight to the popular theory that the competition is so close (this is not true at all) and everyone is a chance (everyone is a chance regardless of the numbers for finals footy, you've got to be in it to win it thoery)

For a true reflection of how close the comp is look at the for and against of all teams, some sides have 30% differential and the for and against when compared to the top 4 teams and the rest of the comp is highly imbalanced.

Everyone is a chance no matter how many teams can qualify for finals footy and surely the most consistent team should be rewarded an extra privilege for achieving that goal when finals time comes around.

If the veiw is the extra teams in the final series is a good thing then reduce the playoffs to 7 sides giving first past the post a week off in recognition for their achievement..What was wrong with the old 5 team final series?

Food for thought
    I'll show what was wrong with the Final 5 as far as the NRL and channel 9 are concerned

Top 5
    Weekend 1 - 2 games
    Weekend 2 - 2 Games
    Weekend 3 - 1 Game
    Grand Final

6 games, 6 lots of gate taking 6 lots of Tv Ratings

Final 8
    Weekend 1 4 games
    Weekend 2 2 games
    Weekend 3 2 Games
    Grand Final

9 games 3 more lots of gate takings and 3 more lots of tv ratings.

Cold hard facts money drives it, out and out the Top 5 is the best system to decide a fair premier. I also like the fact that under a top five u have a clear
    2nd,3rd 4th and 5th place getter as one team is elimated a week.

Manly Warringah for Life but plenty of room to support my local team the Mighty mighty Titans

Should be top 5

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Let me get this straight. You want a competition with 15 teams (soon to be 16) with only 5 finals spots? This is not the QLD cup, it is a much bigger competition. 8 spots is fine.
    And that's bad? Australian Rugby league needs money. We do not have the funds available to the AFL, which we could put to good use. Our financial situation is pretty bleak compared to the AFL. Does channel 9 shell out 7.8 million for League? And you're saying we should cut most of the finals series, the time of the year that generates the most revenue for the game?

ETA: Sorry 780 mil. My bad.
    Last edited by The Original Idiot; 10-03-06 at 05:56 PM.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

The finals series is always going to be debated on how many teams should be in it. Channel 9 are going to dictate what happens whilst it holds the NRL free-to-air contract. Come up with a better solution and submit it to both Channel 9 and the NRL.

Junior Titan

Let me get this straight. You want a competition with 15 teams (soon to be 16) with only 5 finals spots? This is not the QLD cup, it is a much bigger competition. 8 spots is fine.

And that's bad? Australian Rugby league needs money. We do not have the funds available to the AFL, which we could put to good use. Our financial situation is pretty bleak compared to the AFL. Does channel 9 shell out 7.8 million for League? And you're saying we should cut most of the finals series, the time of the year that generates the most revenue for the game?
    You will note that the AFL has just negoatiated a hug deal with 7 and 10 worth some $750mil..

The only reason they have had to extend the top 5 is to earn extra revenues they need due to the poor tv deal the league continually accept from 9

Once there were 18 teams and it was top 5 finals, they were genuine finals contenders not the 4 pretenders we endure through the final 8 series now

Oh and if you think that a finals series should have 40 plus score lines between the best 8 teams and thats good for the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will note that the AFL has just negoatiated a hug deal with 7 and 10 worth some $750mil..

The only reason they have had to extend the top 5 is to earn extra revenues they need due to the poor tv deal the league continually accept from 9

Once there were 18 teams and it was top 5 finals, they were genuine finals contenders not the 4 pretenders we endure through the final 8 series now

Oh and if you think that a finals series should have 40 plus score lines between the best 8 teams and thats good for the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Both the Eels and the Dragons were beaten by lower teams last season. The top 8 system is good as it forces the top teams to always play well even against the "lower" teams. If the top teams dont come to play during the finals they will be punished for it. The Eels who were the highest ranked team were beaten by 29 points by the Cowboys. Im sure many will say that its not fair for the Eels to have lost cause the Cowboys were lower than them; but the fact is that they got beaten at a time when they cant afford to lose.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Both the Eels and the Dragons were beaten by lower teams last season. The top 8 system is good as it forces the top teams to always play well even against the "lower" teams. If the top teams dont come to play during the finals they will be punished for it. The Eels who were the highest ranked team were beaten by 29 points by the Cowboys. Im sure many will say that its not fair for the Eels to have lost cause the Cowboys were lower than them; but the fact is that they got beaten at a time when they cant afford to lose.
    Being beaten by a lower team is ok but how low should you go? Why should you be given an opportunity to be in the playoffs if you don't even qualify in the top half of the comp?

What was the score between Parra and Manly? And those blowouts have been going on since the inception of the final 8

With the inclusion of the Titans should we make it a top 9 as we are adding another team

The sooner the league stops making commercially unsound deals with "our games" tv rights we will enjoy a better brand of footy.

It used to be a big deal to make the finals and now you only have to win 50% of your regular seasons games. Te balance is wrong

Being beaten by a lower team is ok but how low should you go? Why should you be given an opportunity to be in the playoffs if you don't even qualify in the top half of the comp?

What was the score between Parra and Manly? And those blowouts have been going on since the inception of the final 8

With the inclusion of the Titans should we make it a top 9 as we are adding another team

The sooner the league stops making commercially unsound deals with "our games" tv rights we will enjoy a better brand of footy.

It used to be a big deal to make the finals and now you only have to win 50% of your regular seasons games. Te balance is wrong
    Thats a stupid argument IMO; 50% of the teams will make the finals; 25% of them will be gone after one week.....then we will be left with 6 teams. If thats too many then Im afraid you will have to build a bridge. The Top 5 system may have worked back in the day; but the game is adapting. And its not just Rugby League that is adapting many sports are changing structures to lure more fans in. Its just a case where the fans have to accept what is given too them.