Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mortimer sees future in No. 6 jersey at Titans

Gold Coast playmaker Daniel Mortimer is hoping to secure a future at the Titans alongside Daly Cherry-Evans
    PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL MARCH 20, 2015 11:00PM

DANIEL Mortimer was once mentored by halfback legend Andrew Johns. Now he hopes the lessons he learnt can sink Johns’ Newcastle side and help him secure a future at the Titans alongside big-name recruit Daly Cherry-Evans.

Mortimer will run out in the Titans’ No. 7 jumper tomorrow at Cbus Super Stadium, but the son of Bulldogs great Peter knows it is only a matter of time before Cherry-Evans takes the halfback throne.

Mortimer accepts he is no Cherry-Evans, but the 25-year-old will use the coming months to prove to coach Neil Henry he can be DCE’s sidekick at the Titans scrumbase.

Mortimer spent time during his early years at Parramatta working with Johns about game management, knowing when to step back and when to step up to control the flow of a contest.

Left-footed pivot Aidan Sezer is widely tipped to partner Cherry-Evans next season, but Mortimer has eyes on the No. 6 jumper, starting tomorrow against the Knights club Johns led to the 2001 premiership.

“I loved watching Stacey Jones at the Warriors, he was my hero as a kid, but the thing I learnt from Joey was the influence the halves can have on a game,’’ Mortimer said.

“His basic message was you don’t need to get your hands on the ball every play to have that influence.

“He talked about sitting back and getting a feel for the game and to chime in when you need to.

“Joey was great at picking his moments and hopefully I can develop that understanding as I get older.

“There’s no doubt Daly will walk into the No. 7 jumper next year.

“He’s a massive signing for the Titans and that puts pressure on us other halves to see who will fill the five-eighth position.

“I always saw this year as my most important year in football and with Daly signing for us, it has got even more important.”

Mortimer played in two grand finals and won a premiership with the Roosters in 2013 but there have also been gut-wrenching lows, embodied by the moment Eels coach Steve Kearney axed him barely 12 months after playing pivot in the 2009 decider.

Mortimer is adamant he is NRL quality and believes he could be best suited to the No. 6 jumper in which he launched his top-grade *career.

“My preference would be playing in the halves with Daly,” he said.

“I’ve played my best football at five-eighth.

“I am signed here for next year so I would like to force my way into the six if I can.”

- - - Updated - - -

Bench 9, or pack ya bags morts. Elgey will wear the 6

I think Morts is a lovely guy by the sound of it but I am getting a bit tired of reading about what he might do, how important the year is, blah blah.
    Time to produce mate.

Hahaha....no.... elgey is where it's at I am sorry to say morts

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I think Morts is a lovely guy by the sound of it but I am getting a bit tired of reading about what he might do, how important the year is, blah blah.
    Time to produce mate.
    agree, though being a lovely guy can still get you far under some coaches...hopefully Henry isn't one of them.

No No No

He can wear the 17 jersey at best
    #itaintweaktospeak

He is a super nice guy. I sank some beers with him a few years ago. Decent guitar player as well.

As far as playing goes, it's tough. He's too good to be stuck in reserve grade but he isn't quite a first grade half. Bench hooker/half utility has his name all over it

he is a genuine good guy. one of the few NRL players you would be happy for see your daughter marry.

and they stick a microhpone under his nose, of course he is going to giv his positive view on things. hes not gonna say all is lost, its been a waste of time coming up.

Unless we have a major injury run...I think he will struggle to make the top 17.

Deluded. It is amazing how many footballers genuinely don't know what they are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Show and Go View Post
    Deluded. It is amazing how many footballers genuinely don't know what they are capable of.
    That's a bit harsh mate. There are a lot of footballers out there who didn't make it because they never challenged themselves and believed that they could make it. He may not be the best player but he sounds like he does everything he can to the the most of his talent. There's nothing wrong with that type of attitude. If we had a few more like that instead of players who believe it is their right to play in the team then we may get a few more wins on the board.

Yeah it i harsh. Just frustrated with players who rate themselves a lot higher than they should. Mortimer is a honest player and IMO is just a depth player. He could be decent as a hooker though.

Yeah, I'd keep him..but, probably on the bench.

Mortimer not Sezer ey...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

If the Titans go with Mortimer over Sezer....just..why? Just..

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    No No No

He can wear the 17 jersey at best
    I agree Pete. Next year is his last so 17 for him and 7. DCE and 6. Elgey. During Origin time I would roll Fogarty and Hazard through.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady