Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

I just can't get Zillman at centre. He is a fairdinkum liability. Anybody want to guess the penalty count with an under-done Bird and Taylor plus Myles and James on the same field? 12+

Mullen will eat Mortimer and those deft little kicks are freaking me out right now ... no it's not, this is a rebuilding year
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Hoff at fb is good

White over Paasi I do not understand and Simpkins nabbing the spot over Burr I am a little puzzled as well, although judging by the team naming video I think that Neil wants as much experience out there as he can get

White is a really honest player. I get that Paasi has been good through the first two rounds but I'd take the proven commodity over him at the moment - he deserves his spot. Paasi is where we need him right now, fit and ready to come into the squad to cover injury/suspension/incarceration.

Good to see Hoffman at fullback. I like the look of him. I honestly believe that he can be a part of a successful Titans side in 2016/2017. Same with Roberts. He's our centre. He may not be Steve Menzies in defence but he is young and just needs time and regular first grade football.

I also think it is good timing for the drug triad to be reentering the squad. We have set a platform through two rounds of being tough to beat at home and competitive for less than 80 minutes on the road. Let's see if the team can maintain that identity with the inclusion of the 'stars'. If genuine toughness at home is all I get from 2015 I'll be OK with that, we can not revert to the weak as p!ss home performances that last years team subjected us to.
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 18-03-15 at 10:08 AM.

Couldn't have said it better K … a decent dig each week will do me, followed by a quality rant on here will get me through this year.

I reckon we can get win number one for 2015 this weekend. Will be very interested to see how this side goes. I'm disappointed for Burr and Paasi and hanging out for Elgey and Crampton to get a run.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    I reckon we can get win number one for 2015 this weekend. Will be very interested to see how this side goes. I'm disappointed for Burr and Paasi and hanging out for Elgey and Crampton to get a run.
    I honestly do too Goose. We are well found in the market at only $2.20 which is disappointing!!

Yea I agree I too can't wait for elgey and crampton, I am very curious to see elgeys
    Transition to first grade and was hoping he would get a run over Mortimer.

QLD Cup

If we get blitzed on the right side again for a third game in a row, we will have to make some changes but what are the options? good defensive centres don't grow on trees?

Leilua will eat Roberts, Mead and Mortimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    If we get blitzed on the right side again for a third game in a row, we will have to make some changes but what are the options? good defensive centres don't grow on trees?
    the problem is and has been for the last few yrs numbering up from the Middle which is one of the FBs main job, he's gotta talk !

The next big problem is Mortimer going low way too early, he's getting trounced way to easy, Scott prince wasn't exactly a brick wall but he stood tall and made smart defensive reads.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights
    Cbus Super Stadium
    Sunday, 5.30pm (Qld time)

The Newcastle Knights have made the perfect start to their 2015 campaign with surprise back-to-back wins, but they'll face a tough task staying undefeated on the Gold Coast on Sunday against a Titans team boosted by the return of three first-choice starters.

Greg Bird, Dave Taylor and Beau Falloon have each been rushed back into the Titans' starting team after the club reinstated them to the playing group as they await court proceedings on drugs charges, to which they have each pled not guilty.

On the back of a 40-0 thumping by the Panthers, the inclusion of two current Origin stars and the club's reigning player of the year could not have come at a better time for coach Neil Henry and how these players respond – both physically and mentally – after three weeks away from the team will be telling.

Newcastle's mantra over the first two weeks of the season has been 'more will than skill' and it has carried them to the top rungs of the ladder with gritty wins over the Warriors and Cowboys.

Trailing 14-0 against a desperate Cowboys team last Saturday there appeared no way back for the Knights but on the back of some enterprising play by the backs and uncompromising defence by the forwards they clawed their way to a 16-14 win.

The Knights have already proven in a fortnight that they are a resilient group full of character; as the Titans approach a full-strength team for the first time this year it's time to get a more accurate gauge of what they are truly made of.

In addition to the returns of Bird, Taylor and Falloon, prop Matthew White is back from a hamstring injury on the bench while Josh Hoffman will start at fullback for the first time for his new club.

The only change to the Knights is the inclusion of the crafty Tyler Randell on a five-man bench that also includes Chris Houston, David Fa'alogo, Jack Stockwell and Sione Mata'utia.

Watch Out Titans: The physical intimidation may come in the middle but it's the Knights' willingness to shift the ball to their edges that is causing opposition defences the greatest problem over the opening two rounds. In Dane Gagai and Joseph Leilua the Knights have two of the top 15 metre-eaters in the competition while Sione Mata'utia and Akuila Uate are both averaging in excess of 130 metres per game in running metres. If the Titans' edge defence is not water-tight they will find themselves going backwards at a rate of knots for long periods of the game.

Watch Out Knights: The first and only time prior to last Saturday that the Titans were kept to zero was in Round 25 last year against the Warriors when they were hammered 42-0; a week later they defeated eventual runners-up the Bulldogs 19-18 at home. It's a tenuous positive to draw from a 40-0 thumping by the Panthers last weekend but as one of only four teams to start the season 0-2 the Titans need to bounce back and bounce back hard.

Key Match-Up: Greg Bird v Jeremy Smith. If there were two modern-day forwards who could be transported back to the 1970s and hold their own it would be the two locks opposing each other on Sunday. Their no frills, no nonsense approach to the game endears them to their teammates and brings the blood of opposition fans to the boil. Stats don't do these men justice as it is the intensity with which they make their runs and execute their tackles that has the greatest impact on how a much plays out. You've got to win the middle to win the game and these two will be at each other all game to ensure it is their team that is victorious.

History: Played 12; Titans 5; Knights 7.

The Titans kept their faint finals hopes alive with a 22-8 win over the Knights in Newcastle in Round 19 last year amid emotional scenes for Rise For Alex Round with injured Newcastle forward Alex McKinnon in attendance as a special guest. In five previous visits to face the Titans on the Gold Coast the Knights have returned home victorious on three occasions, including the past two meetings at Robina.

What Are The Odds: Titans ($2.45) v Knights ($1.55)

The Knights opened as $1.98 outsiders but back-to-back wins to start the season has seen them shorten into $1.55 favourites against a Titans side that's yet to register a victory. The money is running 9 to 1 in favour of the Knights with Sportsbet and nearly all of the bets at the line have been with Newcastle giving away a 5.5 points start. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au

Did You Know? The Knights' entry into the competition in 1988 coincided with that of the Gold Coast Giants and it was the Giants who recorded the first away win in their history in a 9-0 slugfest at Newcastle International Sports Centre. The Giants had not yet played before a crowd the size of the 15,020 who turned up that day with a Ben Gonzales try the only four-pointer of the match. By season's end, the Knights had finished one point ahead of the Giants on the competition ladder.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 6.30pm (AEDT).

Match Officials: Referee: Adam Devcich; Assistant Referee: Gavin Reynolds; Touch Judges: Michael Wise and Brett Suttor; Video Referees: Gavin Badger and Ben Galea.

The Way We See It: The Knights have shown a ton of character to register two first-up wins over the Warriors and Cowboys but after a brave effort in Round 1 the Titans were well off the pace last weekend. This will be a rough and tumble affair in the middle but the class of Newcastle's backs has the potential to make it another long evening for Gold Coast fans. Knights by 16.

http://www.nrl.com/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    the problem is and has been for the last few yrs numbering up from the Middle which is one of the FBs main job, he's gotta talk !

The next big problem is Mortimer going low way too early, he's getting trounced way to easy, Scott prince wasn't exactly a brick wall but he stood tall and made smart defensive reads.
    and before mortimer it was alby staying to far in, making Jamal chase in THEN out again. Jamal did well to stop as many as he did.

Rep Player

I wonder if they will have DT defending out wide again to stiffen us up a bit out there

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    I wonder if they will have DT defending out wide again to stiffen us up a bit out there
    People can say what they think about big Dave, however when he is on. he puts the fear into opposition back lines. Dave and Ryano belting them out wide could be the deciding factor in a titans win.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    People can say what they think about big Dave, however when he is on. he puts the fear into opposition back lines. Dave and Ryano belting them out wide could be the deciding factor in a titans win.
    Could not agree more. James is starting to get used to running out wide. Just need his combination with the outside backs on his side to improve.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady