Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

My opinion might not be popular but I believe they should be allowed to play. Although they have put a dark cloud on this club, they are still confident that they are not guilty. Of course they wouldn't say they were guilty but I believe that until we find out the result, they are innocent unless found otherwise. Just my thoughts..
    #iwillneverwalkaway

NRL needs to make statement in wake of Knights’ cheap, dirty tactics on Johnathan Thurston

THE NRL match review committee needs to view the charges on Knights players as part of a pattern of premeditated tactics aiming at intimidating Johnathan Thurston and reducing his influence on a match.

The committee will probably see these as three separate incidents, but the repeated, heavy contacts on Thurston underline that the skilful playmakers in the NRL need more protection from the referees.

Playmakers are habitually targeted in various methods, but what the Knights forwards collectively threw at Thurston should be unacceptable to the NRL.

For everyone who hates seeing players tackled headfirst into the ground, there is hope that Beau Scott will receive a grading on Monday — and subsequent suspension — severe enough to provide a deterrent for the entire competition.

Scott was able to accept a grade one dangerous throw charge, avoiding suspension, for his role in the tackle with Blues teammate Josh Reynolds on Brent Tate in the first State of Origin game last year.

That would affect the loading of any charge he received over the lifting tackle on Thurston by Knights Scott and Chris Houston.

The decisions of referees to put on report both the lifting tackle and also Scott’s late tackle on Thurston was standard procedure, but does not provide any “in game’’ deterrent. Newcastle flew home with two competition points.

I’m not sure how the Knights could go about defending Scott’s late tackle on Thurston in the first half in Townsville should it go to the judiciary.

Scott delivered a late, forceful tackle with his shoulder into the ribs of Thurston, knocking him to the ground.

Billy Slater said on Channel 9 that late tackles on playmakers is the No. 1 problem in the game, which is a valuable player’s eye view of how common these are.

Playmakers, and former Test skipper Brad Fittler named Cooper Cronk as one, are passing more often before the line of advantage because they are wary of being late tackled and injured. This, in turn, makes their playmaking slightly easier to defend against (which suits the opposing coach just fine).

If Knights coach Rick Stone did not send his forwards out with a plan to repeatedly and intentionally make contact with Thurston then he has a team ignoring his instructions after just two games.

Stone said the tackling and pressure exerted on Thurston was “just part and parcel of competing hard’’.

The lifting tackle by Scott and Houston was a little reminiscent of the one by Josh Reynolds and Scott in the opening Origin match of 2014.

Houston’s lift of Thurston is, to be clear, is nowhere near as pronounced as Reynolds’s was of Tate (that one ended up being a 360 degree flip).

Scott finished off both tackles.

The Cowboys, who have scar tissue from their recent treatment from NRL officialdom, will fear this outcome today from the match review: no Knight is charged, but Thurston is charged for a tackle in which he caught Akuila Uate across the face as the Newcastle winger was slipping to ground.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227263886869
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The club may be able to play them but the club doesn't have to pick them as long as they get paid. I think we should ressurect our 'open letter' letter strategy to our management, something along the lines of:

Dear Graham,

With regards to the suspended players, as a supporter of the Titans I ask that those players be made accountable for their total disregard of the community they represent.

The expectations of our community from those very well paid but largely uneducated men are that they, in exchange for their contracts, be role models for our youth in skill, commitment and personal welfare.

Recreational or any other form of substance abuse, petulant demands to be selected and generally behaving at a level better recognised in a primary school playground is not what I want to see coming from anyone in a Titans jersey.

To Greg Bird and Dave Taylor, those with the most to lose, either step-up or languish in QCup where I am certain players less fortunate to have had what you have had will level the score. As for the others named, there are many reasons why some talented players never make it and poor self-discipline is right at the top.

Finally, the club's harsh stance is admirable but I can only guess at what has been happening. I do not accept that it was all the previous heirachy's problem and knee-jerk management can only sustain so much momentum.

Draw a line in the sand by all means and prove to us that you are the people to lead us towards the much-touted 'new era'.

[end of rant]
    I guess comes down one's interpretation of a Role Model or Hero.

Personally, I'll never see any sporting person in such light. To me a Role Model or Hero would be someone like A&E Doctors/Nurses, Policemen & women who go beyond the call of duty, Servicemen & women who go beyond the call of duty, Firies, Ambo's and so on. Why Sportpeople that are thrust upon a pedestal is something I'm yet to properly comprehend. They're just people who have excelled in their sport of their choice. But with that said, I don't believe sport officialdom should market sportpeople in the manner that they do either.

Also, I believe when someone is entitled to live their life how they see fit when they're on their own time (knocked off/ not working). If it's actually affecting their family life or job (addiction to alcohol, substance/s or excessive gambling), then that's a little different. But otherwise, let them be..

EDIT: I know this all should be in the other thread. But if what I'm lead to believe is true, about the AFL's 'three strike' system, it's seems to be more logical than ours. At least that way it's on par with most other industries around the country. Where (drug testing) a employee with the help of the employer gets three goes to kurb their problem. If they don't get on top of it by then, the employer has the legal right to sack the employee.
    Last edited by Toads; 16-03-15 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I guess comes down one's interpretation of a Role Model or Hero.

Personally, I'll never see any sporting person in such light. To me a Role Model or Hero would be someone like A&E Doctors/Nurses, Policemen & women who go beyond the call of duty, Servicemen & women who go beyond the call of duty, Firies, Ambo's and so on. Why Sportpeople that are thrust upon a pedestal is something I'm yet to properly comprehend. They're just people who have excelled in their sport of their choice. But with that said, I don't believe sport officialdom should market sportpeople in the manner that they do either.

Also, I believe when someone is entitled to live their life how they see fit when they're on their own time (knocked off/ not working). If it's actually affecting their family life or job (addiction to alcohol, substance/s or excessive gambling), then that's a little different. But otherwise, let them be..
    You may not see them as role models but what about the kids. I was just speaking to a guy whose nephew's idol/hero was Dave Taylor. The kid won't wear his Taylor jumper and he is getting teased in school because he idolised him. Like it or not these players are seen as idols by the kids and if/when they screw up in public it affects more people than they realise.
    It is a fact of life that if you are a high profile sportsman you will be held to a certain standard, rightly or wrongly, and if you slip up then you must accept the consequences.
    As for them living their life as they see fit, go for it, but remember as their employer the NRL and the Titans have clauses in their employment contract regarding illegal substances. If the players breach their employment contract they can/will be terminated. I have worked for many companies with similar policies so rugby league is not alone in firing people who wish to "party".

You actually send that letter?? It's well put together.

I still don't know where I stand. I want the team to win a few games but I see where you are coming from too Titanic. I'm happy to just sit on the fence with this one.

We can beat the Knights. They have not played 80 minutes of football across two rounds. They've just hung around, hing around and won late. They'll see us as an easy mark and may look past us to their home game against the undefeated Panthers in Round 4.

Here's hoping...

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    NRL needs to make statement in wake of Knights’ cheap, dirty tactics on Johnathan Thurston

THE NRL match review committee needs to view the charges on Knights players as part of a pattern of premeditated tactics aiming at intimidating Johnathan Thurston and reducing his influence on a match.

The committee will probably see these as three separate incidents, but the repeated, heavy contacts on Thurston underline that the skilful playmakers in the NRL need more protection from the referees.

Playmakers are habitually targeted in various methods, but what the Knights forwards collectively threw at Thurston should be unacceptable to the NRL.

For everyone who hates seeing players tackled headfirst into the ground, there is hope that Beau Scott will receive a grading on Monday — and subsequent suspension — severe enough to provide a deterrent for the entire competition.

Scott was able to accept a grade one dangerous throw charge, avoiding suspension, for his role in the tackle with Blues teammate Josh Reynolds on Brent Tate in the first State of Origin game last year.

That would affect the loading of any charge he received over the lifting tackle on Thurston by Knights Scott and Chris Houston.

The decisions of referees to put on report both the lifting tackle and also Scott’s late tackle on Thurston was standard procedure, but does not provide any “in game’’ deterrent. Newcastle flew home with two competition points.

I’m not sure how the Knights could go about defending Scott’s late tackle on Thurston in the first half in Townsville should it go to the judiciary.

Scott delivered a late, forceful tackle with his shoulder into the ribs of Thurston, knocking him to the ground.

Billy Slater said on Channel 9 that late tackles on playmakers is the No. 1 problem in the game, which is a valuable player’s eye view of how common these are.

Playmakers, and former Test skipper Brad Fittler named Cooper Cronk as one, are passing more often before the line of advantage because they are wary of being late tackled and injured. This, in turn, makes their playmaking slightly easier to defend against (which suits the opposing coach just fine).

If Knights coach Rick Stone did not send his forwards out with a plan to repeatedly and intentionally make contact with Thurston then he has a team ignoring his instructions after just two games.

Stone said the tackling and pressure exerted on Thurston was “just part and parcel of competing hard’’.

The lifting tackle by Scott and Houston was a little reminiscent of the one by Josh Reynolds and Scott in the opening Origin match of 2014.

Houston’s lift of Thurston is, to be clear, is nowhere near as pronounced as Reynolds’s was of Tate (that one ended up being a 360 degree flip).

Scott finished off both tackles.

The Cowboys, who have scar tissue from their recent treatment from NRL officialdom, will fear this outcome today from the match review: no Knight is charged, but Thurston is charged for a tackle in which he caught Akuila Uate across the face as the Newcastle winger was slipping to ground.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227263886869

Wish we had a playmaker worth targetting.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

I guess I'm stuck in a different era.. I'll just take a seat 'n watch mankind and political correctness whiz on by then.

The one thing that really irks me about the term "role model" and it's use in sport is this. You often hear people trot out the old line that sports people should not be role models after there is a controversy involving them.
    But what about guys like Preston Campbell? He was a professional sportsman and he is a fantastic role model for kids and the aboriginal community. Are we saying that he shouldn't be a role model??????????????????
    Rant over, I think....

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Toads, this isn't directed at you mate. I am just frustrated at this whole situation.
    If they think they are man enough to ignore the rules of their employment contract then they should be man enough to admit they screwed up when they are caught.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    We do mate, they target Mortimer in defence every game....

Fair enough, mate. If they're silly enough to potentially breach a employment contract, they probably deserve what comes their way.

I guess what I'm trying to say as bloke that has made a few poor decisions in life. I found understanding more helpful to overcoming my problems, than being crucified for my actions. And for being in that position, I can understand why some people go off the rails altogether and hold resentment to others for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    Might knock some sense into them.

Mods please move my previous posting and sicussion to the drug-eaters thread - I add that if they are not 'role models' then at the very least they are very public members of our organisation - peeing in public, going to court and leading a losing team!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I would be excited to see this back line this week..........

1 - Roberts
    2 - Don
    3 - Taylor
    4 - Hoffman
    5 - Mead
    6 - Sezer
    7 - Elgey

Newcastle forward Beau Scott gave Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston a torrid time up in Townsville, but can escape suspension with an early plea to his Grade 1 dangerous contact (head/neck) charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    My opinion might not be popular but I believe they should be allowed to play. Although they have put a dark cloud on this club, they are still confident that they are not guilty. Of course they wouldn't say they were guilty but I believe that until we find out the result, they are innocent unless found otherwise. Just my thoughts..
    Mate I agree with you 100%. I will be the first to say get rid of them if any of these charges are proven, however at the moment the club has nothing on these guys in terms of guilt (well they may have something now that their lawyers have provided the club with documentation but none of us know what it is). Even though these charges are more serious than Carters DUI issue the facts are nothing has been proven and people are upset with the hurt they have caused to the clubs image. Understandably but what if they have in fact done nothing. Unlike Carter where all the facts were against him and presented from day 1 and it was easy for the club to act.

The club, I don't think has much of a choice. If the NRL can let Auva'a play in the grand final whilst under a legal cloud then these guys have to be allowed to play as well until the case is decided.

Would love to see Roberts have a crack at fullback. Having him roaming around the middle of the field with his speed and power would be amazing. My only problem with this happening is that we have no real strike on the edges other than Roberts. He is the only back we have that is giving us try scoring opportunities so taking him out of centre would leave us with no strike on the outside. That being said if we could recruit a gun centre and put him at fullback, a DCE/Roberts combo would be mouthwatering

I am expecting the same team this week but would love to see:
    1. Hoffman/Roberts
    2. Mead
    3. Roberts/Hoffman
    4. Crampton/Zillman
    5. Don
    6. Sezer
    7. Elgey
    8. Douglas
    9. Moseley
    10. Myles
    11. James