Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zillman opens up on battle to remain Gold Coast Titans No. 1

William Zillman opens up on battle to remain Gold Coast Titans No. 1
    TODD BALYM THE COURIER-MAIL MARCH 13, 2015 11:00PM

WILLIAM Zillman owns the longest contract in NRL history but his five-year guarantee at the Titans has meant nothing in his battle to retain the No. 1 jersey at the Gold Coast.

Zillman will on Saturday wear the No. 1 jersey for the Titans in a clash against one of the hottest fullbacks in the game, Penrith’s Matt Moylan, and it’s a battle the 28-year-old Gold Coaster is ready to confront.

In just two seasons Moylan has been the shooting star who has risen from rookie to Kangaroos squad member. Zillman has been more of a survivor, lasting 10 years to be the third most experienced fullback in the NRL behind Billy Slater and Brett Stewart.

“Ever since I’ve started there are always young guys coming through who are just exceptional athletes and are taking the game of rugby league to new heights,” Zillman said.

“I feel very fortunate in the fact I’ve played around 150 first grade games now. As a kid I wanted to play at least one.

“But as the game evolves I think us as players need to evolve with it. Otherwise the unfortunate thing is you can be spat out the back door.”

That back door loomed large in the off-season when Titans head coach Neil Henry signed ex-Bronco and Kiwi Test fullback Josh Hoffman.

But for Zillman it was just another challenge, one of many he has faced ever since the scrutiny that came with being handed his unprecedented five-year mega deal with the Titans in 2012.

While some players might sulk at the prospect of their coach recruiting a high-profile positional rival to the club, Zillman took the matter as motivation to refine his own game.

The proof has been in the sensational physical shape Zillman has started the season while his performance against the Wests Tigers last week indicated he’d found some of the old zip that had escaped him during a horror run of injuries the past few seasons.

“Rugby league is a game where you can never rest on your laurels,” Zillman said.

“Competition for positions is just getting stronger and stronger every single year. But at the end of the day for the Titans that is a very good thing.

“The whole preseason has just been a constant battle for positions at the club.”

Zillman knows he must keep his form up to stay at fullback. Hoffman is desperate to showcase his talents at No. 1 and Henry has already devised a job-share plan that will help provide an element of surprise in the Titans attack this year.

It might be hard to see now, but Zillman believes there is excitement about the unknown ahead for the team this year and the club as a whole.

Zillman has been at the club since 2009, he played for a spot in the 2010 grand final, he wallowed in the embarrassment of a 2011 wooden spoon and endured the pain of financial hardship.

If there’s one thing he’s learnt it’s how to come out of any battle on top.

“With these young guys at the club coming through I just see so much ability and hopefully we can build into something, build into a club that is a real powerhouse,” he said.
    Last edited by K2G; 13-03-15 at 10:24 PM.

Yes he has definitely earnt the right to be there

I still don't get it.. Then again, may be I'm not meant to..

I guess it'll have to go down as one of those unexplained mysteries at least until the end of 2017(?)

It boggles the mind that there are so many quality fullbacks produced in the NRL but we have Zillman in the position. It is truly a reflection on why the club hasn't been very successful IMO.

We've got two players who could be great fullbacks in our team..and then, we have William Zillman.

He is like OUR Kurt Gidley.

End of 2017 lololololol
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Rep Player

I started reading this article and then I started tasting blood and passed out.

In China they have a saying "fan pi" for this type of tripe … in fact it is actually the word for "fart".
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Titans are Wooden Spoon Specials in 15/16
    Now now, teke.. No need to get all pissy towards us because Manly couldn't retain at least two of the best players in the modern game..

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Now, surely after the disastrous results today..surely, this it for Zillman? Right? Please..please, God. I BEG YOU.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonbcode View Post
    Now, surely after the disastrous results today..surely, this it for Zillman? Right? Please..please, God. I BEG YOU.
    What im expecting the board to do at the end of 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaeWhkQZhU

This is how it'll play out..

After two dismal years by the Cowboys, Carty will be moved on 'n Henry will throw him a lifeline as our assistant coach. And the brilliant idea of resigning the Total Package will be born again from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    What im expecting the board to do at the end of 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVaeWhkQZhU
    Jesus, I can imagine it now.

"Yeah, this uh Mead bloke..just not cuttin it ay. Time to sign the true talent mate, the one who is there for training"

*the board looks on in anticipation thinking it's going to be Brett Stewart or Jarryd Hayne*

"That true talent is Zillman"

We are like the WCW of the NRL, we keep sabotaging ourselves when we have the talent at our own disposal. Jesus....

The problem is Zillman is thought of as some kind of leader at the Titans. He is the leader at being bog average that is for sure. I hope Neil Henry bites the bullet and drops him.