Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Even though I have been critical of Sezer I would like to see him given a chance to partner DCE in the first instance. I think he might go well with a bit of class near him.
    DCE has signed for 2 years (the 2 year option is in his favour so you know what will happen if he has any doubts) which is hardly a ringing endorsement, moreso an each way bet in the hope all will work out well which I hope it does. Even though many on here already have Elgey as favourite for this years DallyM, if he has two years under DCE he will be ready for NRL if DCE goes early and hopefully spending some time alongside DCE over the next 2 years, particularly if Sezer is not up to standard. In other words I would try and keep both Sezer and Elgey.
    There is no way Elgey waits 2 years for his shot at regular NRL. Whether it's with us, or with another club he will play top grade within that time frame. Not saying he will kill it immediately, but some desperate coach somewhere will take a chance on him sooner rather than later.

Let's hope it's our desperate coach, and not yours MT

In all honesty, if god forbid, one of our starting halves sign an immediate release or injure themselves and Elgey is thrown in the deep end within the first 3 rounds, He'll go close to DallyM rookie of the year. I will back him in with a fat bet down at the TAB in such a scenario.

Manly open to letting Daly Cherry-Evans join Gold Coast this season in bid to retain Kieran Foran
    PAUL CRAWLEY THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 09, 2015 11:00PM

MANLY officials have left the door open for Daly Cherry-Evans to make a shock switch to the Gold Coast this season as the club continues its fight to keep Kieran Foran.

Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly met with Foran and his management on Monday — and Kelly remains convinced that Foran has not signed a deal with Parramatta.

While Cherry-Evans has already announced he is joining the Gold Coast at the end of the season to take up a four-year deal, Manly are debating whether they should send Cherry-Evans packing immediately so the club can up its offer to keep Foran.

Gold Coast coach Neil Henry said on Sunday that he would be open to the possibility if the two clubs could work out the right deal.

Kelly denied that a player swap had even been discussed, but he did not rule it out.

“I haven’t had a chance to even discuss it internally yet,” Kelly said.

“I haven’t contemplated it. I believe Neil Henry went on radio on Monday (and spoke about the

possibility of a player swap).”

Asked if he would consider it, Kelly reiterated: “I haven’t contemplated it and until I have spoken to our recruitment and retention committee about that I probably can’t make any further

comment.”

But if it was absolutely out of the question, you would imagine Kelly would have said ‘no’ straight up.

Gold Coast five-eighth Aidan Sezer has already been mentioned a possible target for Manly for next season, along with boom young half-back Kane Elgey who was in the Holden Cup team of the year.

The Sea Eagles are also in desperate need of some forward reinforcements and the Gold Coast has some attractive options on that front.

Henry said on Sunday for a deal to happen, players would have to agree to it, which could be the tricky part given the season is underway and it would require an immediate move interstate.

While money is not the issue that will decide Foran’s future, it is understood he is concerned about the direction the club is heading in.

Friday night’s 42-12 thumping by the Eels certainly would not have helped Manly’s chances of keeping their star five-eighth.

Foran’s priority is to play at a club that can improve him as a footballer and it is known he has a healthy respect for Parramatta coach Brad Arthur, who he stays in regular contact with.

It is understood Foran is torn about leaving his mates at Manly and the club that gave him his NRL start.

Asked if the offer to Foran had been increased, Kelly said: “Our offer remains but we are in discussions.

“It was a good positive meeting. I don’t want to go into the negations at all.

“We have caught up and we are remaining optimistic we are going to work our way through those negotiations.”

Asked if he had been told directly that Foran had not yet committed to Parramatta, Kelly said: “I have been told he hasn’t signed with Parramatta.

“I just don’t know if it will be resolved in the next few days. We are just taking our time with this one and we are in constant dialogue.

“Conversations are good and we remain optimistic. I am being absolutely honest with you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Even though I have been critical of Sezer I would like to see him given a chance to partner DCE in the first instance. I think he might go well with a bit of class near him.
    DCE has signed for 2 years (the 2 year option is in his favour so you know what will happen if he has any doubts) which is hardly a ringing endorsement, moreso an each way bet in the hope all will work out well which I hope it does. Even though many on here already have Elgey as favourite for this years DallyM, if he has two years under DCE he will be ready for NRL if DCE goes early and hopefully spending some time alongside DCE over the next 2 years, particularly if Sezer is not up to standard. In other words I would try and keep both Sezer and Elgey.
    oh goodness no, Elgey will split off to another club before waiting 2 yrs playing in enthusiasm sapping q cup
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I agree with you MT, and hope DCE plays the year out with Manly, to give us a year to get our sh* together. I can't see him wanting to come here early anyway - with the ongoing cocaine trials, semi-permanent training facilities, and a changing roster all together puts us on a hiding to nothing this year.

I know of a fullback and a hooker Manly can take in a player trade deal if it must happen though...

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    I agree with you MT, and hope DCE plays the year out with Manly, to give us a year to get our sh* together. I can't see him wanting to come here early anyway - with the ongoing cocaine trials, semi-permanent training facilities, and a changing roster all together puts us on a hiding to nothing this year.

I know of a fullback and a hooker Manly can take in a player trade deal if it must happen though...
    Your generosity knows no bounds.
    As I stated earlier I think it would be a marketing blunder to bring DCE here earlier. The positives around membership, corporates and sponsorship would be massive if it builds up to next year. He can be as big to the Coast as what Ablett was to the Suns, if done properly. But if he turns up here and plays within a week or two the big build up to his first game will not exist.
    Plus I have a real problem with players breaking contracts mid season. Supporters buy memberships based on who they expect to see playing, not to have one of your best being allowed to jump ship during the season.

Yes, if the lads are going to dabble in cocaine, they must insist it's of the finest quality before signing off on it..

Sorry, I couldn't resist..

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    oh goodness no, Elgey will split off to another club before waiting 2 yrs playing in enthusiasm sapping q cup
    He doesn't have to be playing Qcup mate. Give him the 14 jumper and play the utility role that Cronk and DCE have/do in origin. Hasn't hurt those two, in fact it is probably responsible for them being better defenders. There is nothing wrong with him earning his spot........... Give Sezer a chance and if he fails then move on.

There is no way Elgey waits 2 years for his shot at regular NRL. Whether it's with us, or with another club he will play top grade within that time frame. Not saying he will kill it immediately, but some desperate coach somewhere will take a chance on him sooner rather later
    That's a good way to make a player with the potential to have as much influence as JT and turn them into a Beau Henry.
    A huge fan of the Bulldogs but first and foremost an fan of the game and the game needs the Gold Coast Titans!

Quote Originally Posted by CanterburyMember View Post
    That's a good way to make a player with the potential to have as much influence as JT and turn them into a Beau Henry.
    If what you're saying is that the probability of elite young halfbacks becoming elite NRL halfbacks hinges largely on how they are coached and brought up through the grades, then I agree with your extremely vague point.

For better or worse Elgey will play NRL within 2 years barring injury or unforseen circumstance. Trying to predict whether he will turn out to be more like JT or Beau Henry in the future is moot.
    Last edited by K2G; 11-03-15 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The continuing issue about the "shape" that we play has a lot to do with those outside the halves … if you think Lyons and Matai and the lines they run then you can see how DCE fits in there. Then think about Hodges and Inglis … then think about us. My point is the relationship between the forwards, the halves and the outside backs is complex … that's why it's a TEAM sport.
    How can you compare Lyon, Matai and Inglis to William ****ing Zillman? Zillman is just beyond average as a player. He is our Kurt Gidley..no matter what team "structure" is designed or to be replicated, Zillman is average. We have superior options in Hoffman and Mead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonbcode View Post
    How can you compare Lyon, Matai and Inglis to William ****ing Zillman? Zillman is just beyond average as a player. He is our Kurt Gidley..no matter what team "structure" is designed or to be replicated, Zillman is average. We have superior options in Hoffman and Mead.
    I was giving both positive and negative examples of centres affected by the men inside them … I made no reference to Zillman.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

If what you're saying is that the probability of elite young halfbacks becoming elite NRL halfbacks hinges largely on how they are coached and brought up through the grades, then I agree with your extremely vague point.

For better or worse Elgey will play NRL within 2 years barring injury or unforseen circumstance. Trying to predict whether he will turn out to be more like JT or Beau Henry in the future is moot.

I wasn't predicting one way or the other.
    A huge fan of the Bulldogs but first and foremost an fan of the game and the game needs the Gold Coast Titans!