Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aidan Sezer keen to sort future following DCE deal

Gold Coast Titan Aidan Sezer keen to sort future following Daly Cherry-Evans deal
    PAUL MALONETODD BALYM THE COURIER-MAIL MARCH 08, 2015 11:00PM

OFF-contract Titan Aidan Sezer says he wants to decide his future as soon as he can as the Gold Coast address their list of options in the wake of their recruiting of Daly Cherry-Evans.

Sezer, the Titans five-eighth, said he welcomes the Titans’ success in signing Cherry-Evans for 2016, but he has to make the best decision for his future.

Sezer’s manager Sam Ayoub said “half a dozen’’ clubs had expressed interest in the 23-year-old.

Daniel Mortimer, halfback in the 19-18 loss to Wests Tigers on Saturday, says he is under contract for next year at the Gold Coast and there will be “a lot of competition for spots’’.

On Saturday night, Sezer was unable to get enough elevation on a 77th minute field-goal attempt when the game was deadlocked, but the 54-game playmaker created Gold Coast’s second try with a pass for tryscorer Ryan James.

“I want it to be sorted out as soon as it can and want to string a few good performances together this year,’’ Sezer said.

“It’s awesome for the club, a big coup to get someone of Daly’s calibre.

“It doesn’t affect my future. I have to concentrate on playing for the Titans and whichever way the ball falls, I’ll face it when it comes.

“I’ve been here four years and the colours have grown on me. We’re a work in progress, but I want this club to do well.’’

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley said the club had remaining salary cap room to recruit and retain effectively for 2016.

“We have quite a lot of players coming off contract at the end of the year, but it’s a decision for the coaching staff and recruitment staff to make those decisions,’’ Annesley said.

Ayoub said his preference would be to wait four or six weeks into the season before moving on Sezer’s future.

“That gives us a better gauge of what’s around because by that time Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran and James Maloney might have decided where they are (for 2016),’’ Ayoub said.

“I spoke to (Titans recruitment) Jamie Mathiou half a dozen times and he’s expressed a desire to have Aidan and DCE as their long-term halves.

“Aidan plays a similar game to Foran.’’

Mortimer said the signing of Cherry-Evans was big for the Titans and vowed to fight for his NRL spot by making a statement this year.

“That’s a big step for this club especially after what they’ve been through,’’ Mortimer said.

“There will be a lot of competition for spots. I’ve played a lot of five-eighth. That is all next year. All I can focus on is this year and that’s the last thing I’m thinking of at the moment.’’

Annesley meanwhile is hoping to capitalise on the Cherry-Evans buzz by aggressively trying to sell their $1.5m sponsor vacancies on their jersey in the coming weeks.

Annesley’s refusal to under-value the club’s sponsorship properties as they struggled to replace three major sponsors for 2015 has been vindicated with the club set to reap greater rewards on the back of the DCE coup.

“I do think it will help us in the long run which supports our decision to hold firm on our strategy,” Annesley said.

- - - Updated - - -

Aidan plays a similar game to Foran.’’

In the interests of a DCE & ELGEY competition dominating halves pairing, I won't be too upset if Sezer packs his bag.

I think we're going to retain one of Sezer and Mortimer. I hope it's the later, for both his (lower) price and utility value (as a bench half/hooker i.e. his best position imo)

Wait for it folks, here it comes.....

Elgey is going to keep that multi million dollar Lemon DCE in Q Cup before 2017 finishes
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

In my opinion, DCE and Sezer would be a good halves pairing. Aidan is more of a half that likes to take on the line whereas Daly would add finesse to our attack. Their different styles would complement each other I reckon.

Obviously Sezer has a lot to work on such as finding the grass with kicks and spreading the ball more but he has also has his positives. Elgey would be a decent partner for Cherry but I could see DCE working well with Aidan. Even if LG doesn't make the starting lineup next year, he will learn a lot from Daly who will mentor and teach our halves, especially the young ones.

A major positive to take out of the article is that we finally have an idea of where we are going and what we are doing with recruitment. The club seems to have drawn out a plan for who we want and who we don't. None of this random recruiting which lead to horror buys/resignings under Carty and Searle. The club is in good hands for the future with Annersley, Henry, Frizelle, Maithou etc and the Titans will have a bright future if these great people can get it right
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 08-03-15 at 10:43 PM.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Daniel Mortimer, halfback in the 19-18 loss to Wests Tigers on Saturday, says he is under contract for next year at the Gold Coast and there will be “a lot of competition for spots’’.

Somehow Zillman will retain the fullback spot. I get it, he is a nice dude but..so is Kurt Gidley.

I really do hope that the Titans can find a way to keep Aidan Sezer under contract for the Titans.

It would be amazing to see Hoffman/Sezer/DCE/Mead/Roberts/Strama all working together..
    Last edited by Jonathonbcode; 09-03-15 at 01:47 AM.

The continuing issue about the "shape" that we play has a lot to do with those outside the halves … if you think Lyons and Matai and the lines they run then you can see how DCE fits in there. Then think about Hodges and Inglis … then think about us. My point is the relationship between the forwards, the halves and the outside backs is complex … that's why it's a TEAM sport.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

“That gives us a better gauge of what’s around because by that time Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran and James Maloney might have decided where they are (for 2016),’’ Ayoub said

There's a confidence booster for your client, once these good halves sort it out we'll see who's left that may be desperate enough to offer you a contract. I hope we retain him personally, we just need a forward pack that gives him enough time and a ref that doesn't let the opposition steal a couple of metres every set.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Wait for it folks, here it comes.....

Elgey is going to keep that multi million dollar Lemon DCE in Q Cup before 2017 finishes
    So in 2017 the Qld & Australian Captain will be playing for Burliegh
    6.Elgey
    7.DCE
    #itaintweaktospeak

The good money suggest that Sezer will end up at Manly if they lose both DCE and Foran. I think Sezer moving on is best for all concerned. Pairing DCE with one of our up and coming young halves would be my preferred option next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonbcode View Post

Somehow Zillman will retain the fullback spot. I get it, he is a nice dude but..so is Kurt Gidley.

I really do hope that the Titans can find a way to keep Aidan Sezer under contract for the Titans.

It would be amazing to see Hoffman/Sezer/DCE/Mead/Roberts/Strama all working together..
    Thought it was April 1st, Mortimer is a far better option off the bench with Elgey @ 7 , I would be in shock if Srama ever wore the 9 with Mosely Breathing ..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior

I wouldn't mind Sezer leaving if it meant LG got his shot learning from one of the best Halfbacks of the modern era. If I am to believe what I am told by a semi reliable source Sezer is as good as gone as is Bird, Taylor and Falloon.

First Grader

Maybe our best recruit is Jamie Mathiou. He is starting to impress me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    James is the only reason we got DCE
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    this bloke is one of the best signings the titans has ever made, very astute and you will see his work paying off handsomely and agree with Pete if its wasn't for Jamie DCE wouldn't be coming.

totally agree about Mathiou. and under the cherry and hoff work (he was responsible for Hoff too wasnt he?) he has recruited a slew of cheaper forwards that seem to be going ok.

And that was with both hands tied behind his back, now that we are NRL backed, and DCE on the horizon...his ability to recruit decent names has just got a whole lot easier.

on the McQueen signing, im ok with it, but hope we dont overpay just cos he is an origin player. I can see Henry want him to run those Gav Cooper lines for Daly / Elgey to either hit with the short one, or hit Hoffman on the sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    In my opinion, DCE and Sezer would be a good halves pairing. Aidan is more of a half that likes to take on the line whereas Daly would add finesse to our attack. Their different styles would complement each other I reckon.

Obviously Sezer has a lot to work on such as finding the grass with kicks and spreading the ball more but he has also has his positives. Elgey would be a decent partner for Cherry but I could see DCE working well with Aidan. Even if LG doesn't make the starting lineup next year, he will learn a lot from Daly who will mentor and teach our halves, especially the young ones.

A major positive to take out of the article is that we finally have an idea of where we are going and what we are doing with recruitment. The club seems to have drawn out a plan for who we want and who we don't. None of this random recruiting which lead to horror buys/resignings under Carty and Searle. The club is in good hands for the future with Annersley, Henry, Frizelle, Maithou etc and the Titans will have a bright future if these great people can get it right
    Even though I have been critical of Sezer I would like to see him given a chance to partner DCE in the first instance. I think he might go well with a bit of class near him.
    DCE has signed for 2 years (the 2 year option is in his favour so you know what will happen if he has any doubts) which is hardly a ringing endorsement, moreso an each way bet in the hope all will work out well which I hope it does. Even though many on here already have Elgey as favourite for this years DallyM, if he has two years under DCE he will be ready for NRL if DCE goes early and hopefully spending some time alongside DCE over the next 2 years, particularly if Sezer is not up to standard. In other words I would try and keep both Sezer and Elgey.