Default Tallis says Titans must get tough to change culture

Gorden Tallis says it’s time for the Gold Coast Titans to take a hard line stance

THIS week has been a line in the sand moment for the Gold Coast Titans.

A time to make a stand for what the club wants to become.

I am not privy to what went on in the past but reports of drugs being used way back in 2007 is a sign that a strong enough standard was not set as the benchmark from day one.

No disrespect to the people who set up the club, they brought a NRL team back to the Gold Coast and did their best.

But a club does not end up in the embarrassing situation like that of the past week if the right decisions are always made.

Look at many players who have come to the Titans in recent seasons, and you notice many were on their second chance.
    That has to stop.

No longer can the Titans afford to be the club that picks up the pieces, who takes a punt on players who may put the culture and reputation of the club at risk.

If the worst case scenario unfolds with the players currently suspended, then the club must look at it as an opportunity to clear the decks and start completely fresh.

It could be a blessing in disguise and the feeling I get is that real change is going to eventuate as a result of the lessons learned this week.

It won’t happen overnight, real change never happens that quickly — but it’s got to happen.

I’ve spent a bit of time with some of the players at this club and it’s clear they want to do better, they want to be part of the exciting future.

But the message is simple: If you want to stay at this club, then you need to make sure this club is something special. You need to build something to be proud of.

The first 12 weeks of the season is where they must show it to the fans and to the coaching staff.

You’re not just coming here to get paid every day. There are plenty of people who go to work just to get paid, and they have no passion for the place and no respect of what it stands for.

I’m positive that Graham Annesley, Rebecca Frizelle and everybody involved in the administration can turn everything around off the field to make the Gold Coast a strong club of the future.

I was at the Titans season launch on Thursday night and there are some great young talented footballers at this club, just busting to get their chance to shine.

Where the Titans are now is where South Sydney was 10 years ago.

With the right decisions made by administrators and commitment by the coaching staff to recruit the right people, not necessarily just the best players, the Rabbitohs have become envy of the NRL.

Titans coach Neil Henry has a challenge on his hands and this year should not be about results. It is about attitude and setting a benchmark for the standards this team will abide by into the future. There can be no compromise.

Knowing Neil Henry the way I do, I think he is up for the challenge.

But he needs a star. Other than Wally Lewis or Scott Prince, there has not been a massive marquee signing ever come to the Gold Coast.

It would be great if Daly Cherry-Evans becomes that man.

But if not, I’m sure the Gold Coast can find somebody else with the talent and commitment to build a team around.

http://www.news.com.au/national/gord...-1227242924981
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

this is good. having gordon on board and with a column raising our expectations is a good thing.