Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nols of the Goldy View Post
    Sorry Titanic. Next time I will just copy and paste the articles.
    No worries Nols, the problem is that in China I can't access many off-shore website due to the Great Chinese Firewall
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    No worries Nols, the problem is that in China I can't access many off-shore website due to the Great Chinese Firewall
    I think the great News Limited firewall also blocks many as most times I click on a News Ltd link like those above I get a screen about subscribing to their on line news and not the article. I can access News because of my Foxtel subscription but not via links here which is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I think the great News Limited firewall also blocks many as most times I click on a News Ltd link like those above I get a screen about subscribing to their on line news and not the article. I can access News because of my Foxtel subscription but not via links here which is a pain.
    I get that too which is a bloody nuisance - my added disadvantage is that I travel a lot so I rely on vpn's much of the time and then websites consider I'm a risk (probably right too) because my ip address then changes and makes me look like a hacker (whatever they look like).

NRL statement on Titans ownership

The NRL said on Wednesday that it is not a long term holder of the Gold Coast Titans licence.

A spokesman said the NRL will look to sell the club, but is patient, to ensure future ownership is the right fit for the club, the Gold Coast community and the game. It remains business as usual at the Titans.

"The NRL has had very preliminary talks with several parties which have expressed interest in the Titans but those talks are still in the very early stages," the spokesman said.

"No decision has been made or is currently being considered about the future ownership of the club."
    This is a very troubling statement and the equivalent of "the club stands behind the coach".

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-on-...1/default.aspx
    Last edited by Titanic; 24-02-16 at 03:41 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

As per usual the bosses of Ch9 in Brisbane made sure they whipped up this GC Bears stuff on ch 9 Gold Coast news tonight however they had the gall to suggest we'd become the Central Coast Bears.
    As per usual on Seasons Eve the NSW/Brisbane hate media are in full swing.

i hope the nrl dont let this happen. The gold coast both needs and deserves its own identity. not to be the shadow of another failed RL club. Hopefully Darryl kelly can act fast and get us bought out before any of these rumours come to fruition

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    As per usual the bosses of Ch9 in Brisbane made sure they whipped up this GC Bears stuff on ch 9 Gold Coast news tonight however they had the gall to suggest we'd become the Central Coast Bears.
    As per usual on Seasons Eve the NSW/Brisbane hate media are in full swing.
    I can't fathom why we are hated as much as we are. It's like we're the only team thats makes mistakes. The worst part is when we do something good (luke douglas and the formal thing last year, numerous attendances at charity events. i could go on) it just gets swept under the rug.

Inactive User

I'm concerned that all of a sudden the very private Daryl Kelly is making media appearances pleading for other wealthy people to come onboard and help him buy out the Club.

I'm sure the timing is not a coincidence with this GC Bears or CC Bears annoyance.

The drama never ends for us.

Teflon Annesley on the other hand used it to give himself a wrap.

Titans declare they ‘aren’t going anywhere’ after moves by the Bears to take over the club

GOLD Coast chairman Rebecca Frizelle has declared the Titans “aren’t going anywhere” following moves by the Central Coast Bears to buy the NRL franchise.

The Bears bid team have held informal discussions with the NRL, who have owned the Titans since the club was placed into voluntary administration last year.

Speculation about a possible takeover by the Bears surfaced five months ago and intensified recently after they attempted to meet with Titans white knight Darryl Kelly.

Kelly revealed to The Courier Mail on Wednesday he was ready to buy a stake in the club again despite losing more than $5 million during his previous ownership.

But he is unlikely to support a bid which would see the club rebranded and games taken away from the Gold Coast.

“I don’t see that as the ultimate answer," Kelly said after the Titans launched their season at Sea World.

“The best option as far as I’m concerned is a local consortium or group of people, no matter how big or small.

“It will reflect the community’s beliefs and aspirations if it’s controlled here.

“No matter who owns it, it’s a community asset. You’ve got to be in the community to reflect the values of the community and give it some ownership. “We on the coast have got to get off our backsides and do something about it.

“The NRL has been very good to me and said I’ve got first crack but I can’t do it on my own."

While the NRL has not rejected the Bears' approach, it's unlikely they will sell the club to a consortium planning to rebrand the Titans and play games away from the Gold Coast.

The NRL spent $4 million saving the Titans and the club went on to record a loss of $3.3 million last year.

The governing body has invested heavily in ensuring rugby league has a professional presence on the Gold Coast and Frizelle said there were no relocation plans on the table.

“I can categorically say the Gold Coast Titans aren’t going anywhere," she said.

“They are here for the long term. The Titans belong to the Gold Coast.

“We’re a club that’s become very strong through challenging times.

“My discussions with the NRL are nothing but positive.

“From all reports they are absolutely delighted with what the club has achieved and within budget."

Wednesday marked the one-year anniversary of the Titans takeover and the bottom line is the NRL is not interested in owning clubs.

Potential new owners would be looking at a significant financial commitment until 2018 when the new broadcast rights agreement begins and clubs will receive big enough grants to be financially sustainable.

“The NRL has had very preliminary talks with several parties which have expressed interest in the Titans but those talks are still in the very early stages,” an NRL spokesman said.

“No decision has been made or is currently being considered about the future ownership of the club.”

Central Coast Bears bid chief Greg Florimo could not be contacted.

I am a bit worried now. Like the saying goes "where there is smoke, there is fire".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I'm concerned that all of a sudden the very private Daryl Kelly is making media appearances pleading for other wealthy people to come onboard and help him buy out the Club.

I'm sure the timing is not a coincidence with this GC Bears or CC Bears annoyance.

The drama never ends for us.

Teflon Annesley on the other hand used it to give himself a wrap.
    It's probably no coincidence and I for one would be very happy if Darryl Kelly was a major player in any new consortium.
    This may be a bit harsh but I do worry with the relationship Graham Annesley would still have with the heavies at the NRL. I am wondering just how hard he would fight for us if the NRL wanted to push the Bears thing. Too nice a guy, which unfortunately is not a good trait when it comes to running NRL teams.

Gold Coast chief executive Graham Annesley says takeover talk a credit to Titans turnaround

TAKEOVER rumours surrounding Gold Coast are a sign of how much the NRL club has turned itself around in 12 months, Titans chief executive Graham Annesley says.

A year ago the Titans were in turmoil, with the club placed into voluntary administration and taken over by the NRL.

Since then Annesley and a new board of directors have worked to restore the Titans’ shattered off-field reputation.

The club celebrated their 2016 season launch on Tuesday, with Annesley announcing construction work on a new headquarters at the Parkwood International Golf Course was already underway.

The launch was held with rumours surfacing that North Sydney Bears were apparently preparing a takeover bid for the club. The Bears, who have been attempting to return to the NRL for over a decade, reportedly see acquiring the Titans as their way back into the competition.

If successful, it’s reported the club would be rebranded the Gold Coast Bears and split their home games between Gold Coast and the NSW Central Coast.

North Sydney Leagues Club own the Tweed Heads Seagulls Leagues Club which has an affiliation with the Titans.

Current board member Darryl Kelly is also reportedly considering buying back into the club despite losing millions of dollars in last year’s voluntary administration decision.

The NRL said it was actively accepting offers from potential buyers and did not want to be a long-term holder of the Titans licence.

“The NRL has had very preliminary talks with several parties which have expressed interest in the Titans but those talks are still in the very early stages,” an NRL spokesman said.

Annesley wouldn’t discuss the Bears rumours but said he’s not surprised there’s interest in the club.

“The reason I came to this club is I believe it’s got enormous untapped potential,” Annesley said.

“Others would see that as well.

“I’d be very surprised if the level of interest is limited just to the rumours that are circulating at the moment.”

There is definitely more to it I think than what we are being led to believe. No Gold Coast Titans, then no me either. That will be it for me I'm afraid. I am so over all this crap that we have to continually be dragged through. It just gets harder and harder

Quote Originally Posted by Nols of the Goldy View Post
    There is definitely more to it I think than what we are being led to believe. No Gold Coast Titans, then no me either. That will be it for me I'm afraid. I am so over all this crap that we have to continually be dragged through. It just gets harder and harder
    Yeah aye i support the Gold Coast Titans, Not the Gold Coast Bears.Sure the name has been dragged through the mud but im personally a bigger fan of the titan as a mascot then a bear anyway. My beloved club has had enough name changes as it is and another rebranding would see the end for me.

The bold plan to bring North Sydney Bears back to NRL via Gold Coast

Central Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo believes the Gold Coast franchise will succeed if the NRL gives the green light to his organisation's bold proposal to partner with the Titans and rebrand the franchise as the Gold Coast Bears.
    The NRL is the holder of the Titans' licence but has indicated it has no desire to remain in that position in the long term. Previous league incarnations on the holiday strip - the Chargers, Giants and Seagulls - have all folded as the club struggles to gain a foothold in the competitive Queensland sporting market.
    The Central Coast Bears, controversially pipped for the NRL licence that was handed to the Titans in 2007, are one of the budding franchises should the governing body expand beyond 16 teams. To this point, their proposition has been for admission as a stand-alone team, although their strategy has evolved to include the prospect of a partnership with an existing team.

To that end, the Bears are proposing to head office the prospect of relationship that would result in the Titans wearing the famous red and black colours of North Sydney.

"The Bears are keen to work with any future owners of with the NRL's Gold Coast franchise to build a viable and sustainable club with a local and national support base on the Gold Coast," Florimo said. "We believe this is a positive wonderful story for the rugby league community, and most importantly, a proposal that makes sound business sense. While the Bears' focus in recent years has been on winning a licence for the Central Coast Bears we recognise the repeated statements from the NRL that expansion is not on the its agenda in the foreseeable future.
    "Accordingly, we have been exploring other avenues for the Bears to re-enter the NRL and have held exploratory talks with a number of organisations, including the Titans. Let me be clear, we are not seeking a takeover of the Gold Coast Titans, nor are we contemplating a sale from the NRL. What we are keen to exploring is a way the Bears can add to the viability of a Gold Coast team by providing the history of a Foundation Club brand; a loyal fan-base in Sydney's north; a growing base of supporters on the Central Coast; Gold Coast infrastructure through the Bear's' 50 per cent ownership of the Tweed Heads Leagues Club.
    Disappointment: Titans players look dejected after conceding a try last season.
    Disappointment: Titans players look dejected after conceding a try last season. Photo: Mark Nolan
    "We believe that our involvement would have tangible benefits in terms of television audiences, increased Sydney crowds and a significant larger market for sponsors and merchandise."
    The potential return of the Bears, albeit in a different guise, would likely bring back a legion of fans that left the game disenfranchised by their omission from the competition. The development raises the prospect of occasional games being played on the Central Coast or at North Sydney Oval. "We are also highly sensitive to the passion and commitment of the Titans' existing fan base and want to develop ways to work with them to build a club that does their region proud," he said.
    "But our starting proposition is that a Gold Coast NRL team, called the Bears, wearing red and black and tapped into three passionate communities provides any future owners with the best possible chance of success. We have been developing a plan to support the Gold Coast in this way over the past six months. The NRL's announcement that it will be looking to sell the franchise has prompted us to go public with our offer of support.
    "Details of how the Bears could be involved in the franchise will need to be determined over the coming months. Today we say we look forward to working in good faith with anyone who is passionate about the NRL succeeding on the Gold Coast."
    An NRL spokesperson stated: "The NRL has had very preliminary talks with several parties which have expressed interest in the Titans but those talks are still in the very early stages. No decision has been made or is currently being considered about the future ownership of the club."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/g...#ixzz415F052F9
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Thanks for posting BT.
    When you read Florimo's quotes there continues to be no benefit in this for the Titans. Change of jersey, link with Seagulls Leagues, and maybe slightly increased crowds at way games in Sydney. Where's the real benefit in that? Manly already p1ssed this mob off and I don't want to be linked with them again.
    Strange as it may seem, I am not in a rush to link with a club that hasn't won a competition since 1922.

I dont want us to lose our identity at all. id prefer we stay exactly who we are... but I actually like some of what 'Flo' says there.

He says its not about taking us over, but combining and contributing to us in a way that helps make us sustainable, and also gives the Bears some recognition and involvement in a competition they were included in for almost 90 years. a team for their die hard fans who got left in the cold ( a fate us titans fans almost live out every other year ) can feel a connection to.

Imagine if we folded and some of our history could be brought back to live by partnering with a club.

that said, i dont want to lose our brand and i wouldnt want to split our home games with Central coast ( i could handle 2 going there rather than darwin or wherever, and wouldn't mind a road trip to central coast or North Sydney ).. but surely there is compromise there that can benefit us enough to make it worthwhile.

im not sure if i ate some bad pizza and ill want to delete this whole post tomorrow... but i dont see this is necessarily the worst thing ever. not ideal... but we until we are in a position of strength we will have to deal with innuendo.

although F%^& the media for breaking it on our launch day. that's not very classy.

One small detail about the Bears coming to the Gold Coast is they're already here & have been since 1934, they go by the name Burleigh though & that will never be changing
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Thanks for posting BT.
    When you read Florimo's quotes there continues to be no benefit in this for the Titans. Change of jersey, link with Seagulls Leagues, and maybe slightly increased crowds at way games in Sydney. Where's the real benefit in that? Manly already p1ssed this mob off and I don't want to be linked with them again.
    Strange as it may seem, I am not in a rush to link with a club that hasn't won a competition since 1922.
    i dont see a lot of benefit either if we are comparing a merged GC Bears team to continuing on in our merry way as the GC titans.
    the benefit of it comes if we don't find investors, or our business model doesn't get us into a profitable state and our options are down to folding or becoming the bears as the NRL are jack of supporting us and losing money every year.
    as in that case, id rather be a bear than nothing at all. other fans who have two favourite teams can just peel off and support their other team, but for some that's not an option.

and we aren't linking with any of their players or administrators who had anything to do with Northern eagles or their lack of success since 1922. I think that's irrelevant to it all. These are just guys who are fighting for a spot and weren't as lucky as Searle and co.

- - - Updated - - -

the funniest thing is that i think this is really small chance of happening and has barely been a blip on my radar today.

Im more worried about where Morts is going to play, or who is going to be left off the bench. people have tried to tlak to me about it and i just laugh and say its not worth mentioning yet even.