Default Former Chargers stars back Titans

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    7:00am Tue 24th February, 2015

Two members of the final Gold Coast Chargers team have thrown their support behind the Titans as the club attempts to move on from serious drug allegations levelled at five members of the current squad.

Preston Campbell and Scott Sattler were there on August 22, 1998 when the Chargers went down 20-18 to Cronulla at Carrara Stadium, with Campbell going on to create a unique piece of history by playing in the Titans' very first game on March 18, 2007.

The scoreline that day? A 20-18 loss to the Dragons.

Over the past eight years Sattler and Campbell have both worked in the administration of the club at different stages and are saddened to see the future of the Titans brought into question due to the actions of a group of players.

Sattler spoke glowingly of the influence of current Titans CEO Graham Annesley, chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle and major shareholder Darryl Kelly and said they need to find players willing to embrace the changes necessary to rebuild the club's tattered reputation.

"Being a guy who played there for six years and who has been involved in administration at the Titans, it saddens me to see the state that the game is in at NRL level on the Gold Coast," Sattler told NRL.com.

"People are often critical of me on the Gold Coast because I've got so much to say about it but it's because I'm so passionate about the game on the Gold Coast and I want to see it succeed.

"When you're a club that has so many negatives going for it at the moment in the public eye, you've got to want to change. You've got to want to change if you want to find success and I think they've got the people there that want to change.

"The next thing you've got to have around you are people who want to embrace that change and in light of these recent allegations, it's quite obvious there are some players who aren't in a position to embrace any sort of positive change at the club because they've proven, if the allegations are true, that they're self absorbed and haven't got the best interests of the club at heart.

"There are people there that want to make positive change, it's now about fine-tuning and going through and identifying the people that want to get on the same ride and take that ride with you and those that aren't going to embrace it and put a roadblock against it."

Speaking during All Stars week when the Gold Coast's commitment to the concept was continually brought into question, Campbell said he was at a loss to explain the current downturn but believes a winning football team would cure many ills.

The first four years of the Titans saw home crowds average in the top four in the NRL each year, and through 11 rounds last season they were averaging 15,200 at Cbus Super Stadium despite losing four of their first six games at home.

Their final average home crowd figure of 13,196 placed them 11th in the NRL last season and Campbell is hopeful that if they can make a positive start the good news they so desperately crave will soon follow.

"I can't put my finger on it. It's one of those things, if they're winning games obviously it's going to be a lot easier," Campbell said.

"The competition, if you want to call it that, with the AFL up the road, they've been improving every year but it's one of those things, we just need to win I think. Get the fans back and people will start talking more positively about us.

"South-east Queensland needs something here. They've had the Giants, they've had the Seagulls and now we've got the Titans. It's 2015; if we can't keep a team on the Gold Coast there's something really wrong."

The history of first-grade teams on the Gold Coast is indeed a chequered one but Sattler was quick to point out the reasons behind the demise of the Chargers, and insisted the area can run a successful club.

"Everyone keeps saying that the Chargers was a failure, which it wasn't," Sattler said. "It was collateral damage from Super League and was a club that financially finished with money in the bank, which a lot of clubs can't hang their hat on."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Interesting that Sattler suggested a rebranding. He seemed to think the community had lost faith with the Titans brand.

I maybe wrong, but wasn't Sattler linked to this consortium that wants to remain anonymous, that been hovering around for some time?

If it is, it might explain the rebranding angle..

Probably wants rebranding so they don't have to pay Searle for the Titans name.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I maybe wrong, but wasn't Sattler linked to this consortium that wants to remain anonymous, that been hovering around for some time?

If it is, it might explain the rebranding angle..
    Yeah he is behind some consortium, heard him speak a few weeks back on the radio about interested party looking at titans

A rebranding will just have everyone saying Rugby League has failed on the Gold Coast again, the game is striving here you only have to look at our junior competitions where sign on numbers are huge & if the best in their age groups were to take on other areas or states they would see the skill & quality of Gold Coast Juniors would be second to none in many age groups..for this reason alone the Titans must succeed so as these kids can aspire to play where they live & not end up with the Donkeys like many juniors already have..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    A rebranding will just have everyone saying Rugby League has failed on the Gold Coast again, the game is striving here you only have to look at our junior competitions where sign on numbers are huge & if the best in their age groups were to take on other areas or states they would see the skill & quality of Gold Coast Juniors would be second to none in many age groups..for this reason alone the Titans must succeed so as these kids can aspire to play where they live & not end up with the Donkeys like many juniors already have..
    well said TP, great post and so true

could only give you a one thumbs up but you deserved two for that

Yeah, as much as it would be nice to start a fresh with new branding. It's probably about the last thing that needs to happen on the Coast in the National comp..

Plus, I'm not fond of the idea of consortium members that want to remain anonymous. That alone spooks me a fair bit. If anything, the NRL needs to give Mr Kelly first option and give him some room to flex with some of his ideas. The bloke at least deserves that for being around during our darkest days. Get behind him, Dave Smith!
    Last edited by Toads; 24-02-15 at 01:06 PM.

Hopefully Mr Kelly stays involved not sure how it all works now but maybe NRL could offer him a stake at a very reduced rate and hopefully new investors might be lining up especially with Searle gone. Would hate to see Mr Kelly gone for ever after what he has done for the club. Good news that the NRL has confidence is current admin team and board

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Probably wants rebranding so they don't have to pay Searle for the Titans name.
    Well,, the question remains, what happened to the Chargers branding and colours? Are they still available? I wouldn't mind going back to those colours and name. Although, all three former GC team colours were very nice.

great post. we need to endure this, kick out anyone who doesnt have the clubs interest at heart, and move along intelligently.

there have been some pretty big scandals over the years - West coast eagles drug issue, Bulldogs cap rort and rape charges, storm cap rort.... and they all fade eventually.

as much as a brand cops it, eventually people move on once they see the problems are gone.

the actual NRL and NYC teams are the only things struggling with league on the coast. below the visible surface, things are pumping and like PETE said shouldnt be discarded lightly

- - - Updated - - -

great post. we need to endure this, kick out anyone who doesnt have the clubs interest at heart, and move along intelligently.

there have been some pretty big scandals over the years - West coast eagles drug issue, Bulldogs cap rort and rape charges, storm cap rort.... and they all fade eventually.

as much as a brand cops it, eventually people move on once they see the problems are gone.

the actual NRL and NYC teams are the only things struggling with league on the coast. below the visible surface, things are pumping and like PETE said shouldnt be discarded lightly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nimud View Post
    Well,, the question remains, what happened to the Chargers branding and colours? Are they still available? I wouldn't mind going back to those colours and name. Although, all three former GC team colours were very nice.
    i liked it at the time, but it would look a bit naff and flaky now. would rather strong colours like we have or seagulls was great too.

i really hope we keep what we have.

It's a pity we can't have pics of the squad training and Henry talking-up the selections he may make ... we certainly shouldn't be even considering re-branding. The Juniors seem to have it aced, now we just need to kick out the ar$eholes and we are fine.

I expect the club to spend some of the NRL's cash on promoting an underdogs event for the first game and filling the joint. Stand the bloody players on street corners with banners saying they are not druggies and how they want everybody to attend to watch them stick it fair up the Tigpies.

No more political clap-trap, just some real raw rugby league passion ... I'm tired of all this treading lightly. If I was Crampton or Mead or anyone blameless, I'd be stating that I am clean and the rest can just farkk off. What's wrong with being a good guy?

I'm adding this because I'm so angry:

GB: Oooh, look at me. I'm bad-ass Greg Bird, a bruise brother.
    Titans: Farkk off
    DT: I'm so big and powerful and if everybody just understood me I'd be Wally Lewis.
    BF: If I give you a sniff will you vote for me?
    KFFFFL: Where am I? What's my name again?
    JD: My grandad is a rugby league legend.
    Last edited by Titanic; 24-02-15 at 02:45 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Hahaha!! Great post Titanic. The problem is, just cos they're not charged doesn't mean their clean. (I noticed you didn't include our 'captain' in your hypothetical conversation.)

As for the title of this thread, Preston Campbell and Sattler may be ex-Chargers, but I would much rather hear from Marty Bella, Wes Patton or Peter Gill. Those guys were legit Chargers.

Totally agree K, Sattler and PC are too close to current, oops ex-current, administration to be credible. PC might be wonderful but he must also have had his eyes closed if he didn't see this coming.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.