Default Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly vows to remain at embattled club

BESIEGED Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly has a message for those who believe the Titans are on death’s door, defiantly declaring last night: “I’m here to stay.”

Breaking his silence amid the cocaine scandal that has rocked Queensland sport, Kelly told The Sunday Mail he has no plans to abandon a Titans club relying on his investment to stay alive.

Speculation sweeping league circles yesterday suggested Kelly was reviewing his 47.2 per cent stake in the club following the Titans duo Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling being charged with supplying cocaine.

But the 64-year-old white knight vowed to bankroll the Titans for the long haul, scuppering suggestions the NRL could strip their licence as part of a Gold Coast rescue.

“I will say this now ... I’m here to stay,” Kelly said on Saturday night.

“I am committed to see this through and I will do my darndest to make sure this club is successful.

“This (the cocaine scandal) has also galvanised me and people at the Titans. Rugby league is my sport, so I’m staying on.”

The business tycoon has pumped an estimated $5.3 million into the Titans and jokes that people could rightly question his sanity underwriting a club lurching from one crisis to the next.

When news of Falloon and Dowling’s charges broke on Friday, Kelly admits he was devastated and briefly considered his financial and emotional investment in the Titans.

“(On Friday night), I think everyone was considering their position here,” he admits.

“It was a pretty black day and I was personally physically ill.

“I was so disappointed when you put so much work in. At the moment, they are allegations but it still affects you. But the response from the public and the people like Graham Annesley (Titans CEO) and Rebecca Frizelle (chairwoman) is what can we do to help?

“At 5am (yesterday) morning when I woke up, I had a discussion with my wife to whom I’ve been married for 39 years. I said I’ve made up my mind, I’m sticking with this club. I’m convinced this is what I have to do. There is no doubt at all.

“There’s a few reasons I won’t walk. The main one is the people that would be affected by this if it was to fall over. A lot of very good people don’t deserve a kick in the guts.

“And I suppose I’m a pig-headed person who wants to see the Titans successful.

“It’s been a lot more challenging, but I built my personal business on taking over businesses that were in trouble. Everything I have done in business has been about restructuring, but the Titans is a different animal altogether and it’s a lot harder.”

Kelly is adamant the Titans can avoid becoming another sporting carcass on the holiday strip, claiming there has been no agitation from the NRL to re-brand or take over the club.

“The NRL have got confidence in the board in place now, so I don’t expect we will see any changes to our club,” he said.

“The NRL is very competitive and knowing you have the hierarchy behind you prepared to back us is great, but we’ve earned that backing with the decisions and changes we’ve made.

“Structurally, we have changed things. Our football department is new. We’re making all the right moves, we just need a few clean breaks.”

Kelly said he remained in the dark on whether the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission will press more charges against Titans players.

“We’ve heard nothing from them, that’s a fact,” he said. “We’ll get on with things and see what charges get read out in court on March 5.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hell yeah. Love this guy. What a legend. I will be supporting the titans as long as there is a titans to support. #indarrylwetrust

The only good news I've heard come out of the club for a while , well done Mr Kelly
    #itaintweaktospeak

Champion. Onya Kelly.

What a champion Mr Kelly is, one day I hopefully I will get to shake his hand look him in the eye and say one word "thank you "

Must admit, reading that brought a tear to my eye.. Thank you, Mr Kelly.

Junior

Thank you Mr Kelly, a true Titan in every respect. I would like to ask our Forum Heirarchy that they send Mr Kelly a message of great thanks for his commitment to our Titans from our Forum Group (you cannot do a lot more that put a lot of money where your mouth is, in being such an outspoken and great Titans person) again thank you.

Thank you sir.

the 'I will never walk away' line has potential like Liverpools ' you'll never walk alone, or more recently port adelaides ' never tear us apart' theme.

Port were here a basket case like us. New coach, new CEO, new stadium, and a new set of values based around never giving up took them from bottom to top 4 with a bullet. Not only that, they are fantastic to watch if you like that sport. Young guys off the leash.

the only songs with those lyrics is by journey... But we can do better. Need to find an anthem to chant before each game that unites People and builds a bond. It will be part of the reason you want to go to games... That experience.

get the hand held towel type banners to hold and declare your support....someone needs to make it happen.

Thank God the world has people like him and thank God he is with us. Just send an email to the club if you want to thank him as I am sure it will be passed on.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 22-02-15 at 09:59 AM.

Best thing I have read all over the weekend! This is what we need - passion and commitment.

I want to see that passion on and off the field and all that hope for the future that was washed away when this story broke has just been restored. Thanks Mr Kelly!

What a legend! I have so much respect for Darryl Kelly for not walking away in tough times. Anyone else would have been long gone.

Really great to hear that he is committed to us for the long haul. Exactly what the club needs.