Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I would love to be at golf as well but I have an invite to an early lunch and drinks (courtesy of my local) so I can't knock that back.

P.S. I played golf with DM the other day. He is stoked that the NRL have taken over. Huuuuge relief!
    Make sure you are looking into Mel's eye's when you are talking to her
    #itaintweaktospeak

Henry to gamble on dual fullbacks

Sat 28 Feb, 2015, 6:00am
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent

Gold Coast Titans coach Neil Henry is set to unveil a dual fullback attacking structure for his team's Round 1 clash with the Wests Tigers, unable to split incumbent William Zillman and high-profile recruit Josh Hoffman.

In between off-field controversies the main talking point over the summer at the Titans has been whether Hoffman would unseat Zillman for his preferred position at the back but it appears as though the pair are going to embark on a job-sharing arrangement overseen by Henry.

When teams are announced next week only one man will be wearing the No.1 jersey but Henry believes he can better maximise both players' strengths and their contribution to the team by rotating the pair between fullback and left centre as the game unfolds.

Embarking on his seventh season at the Titans, Zillman was the hero when he kicked the winning field goal against the Bulldogs in Round 26 last season while Hoffman has made no secret of the fact that he wants to make the fullback position his own, a belief that led to him leaving the Broncos after seven years in Brisbane.

"It's going to be one of those things where there might be a bit of positional change during the game, fullback to left centre. It mightn't be ideal but we might start like that," Henry told NRL.com.

"It gives us an option to have two guys carrying the ball at different times who might be a bit fresh as well. 'Hoffy' has got a great carry, a strong carry of the ball on kick returns; 'Zilly' is quick and also got a very fast play-the-ball.

"I don't know if they're going to really rest out in the centres but you'll cover less metres than you do at fullback where you're following the ball all the time.

"It might be a situation where we have got some fresh legs at the back by rotating them between two positions. It's a bit of a change-up too, they're different style of players so it can work; we'll wait and see."

All throughout the pre-season Zillman and Hoffman have been alternating between fullback and left centre during training drills and in the trials. Any potential confusion is likely to be found out by the kicking games of Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah and half Luke Brooks but the upside is a lighter workload for one of the key positions on the field.

It also puts doubt in the minds of the defence when in attack and Titans half Daniel Mortimer is confident that he and five-eighth Aidan Sezer have done sufficient work to have developed combinations with both Zillman and Hoffman.

"We've trained hours each day all week for the whole pre-season so we've got some combinations with both," Mortimer said. "We know how both play so I don't think that will be a factor as long as we're communicating on the field.

"They both play pretty similar styles, they're both hard runners and quite skilful with the ball so as long as the communication is there it doesn't matter who's at the back out of the two."

Henry is resigned to being without automatic selections Greg Bird, Dave Taylor and Beau Falloon for the season-opener but says it will provide an opportunity for some young players to step into some sizeable shoes.

"We've got to finalise our 17. We're going to be without at least three guys – 'Birdy', Dave Taylor and Beau Falloon – but Matt Robinson, Lachlan Burr, Kierran Moseley, Jai Ingram, there are a few replacements there," Henry said.

"They're going to have to step up because they're replacing some quality and some impact with our attack. Kierran Moseley and Matt Srama have been training well, Christian Hazard has been good at training, so we just have to cope with that."

http://www.nrl.com/henry-to-gamble-o...medium=twitter

This is your first mistake Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Show and Go View Post
    This is your first mistake Neil.
    Maybe, but surely NH won't persist with it if it's not working like Carty did. Here's hoping anyway..

It's not a new idea, remains to be seen if it will work for them though.

The trouble for Neil is that neither Hoffy or Zillman are good enough. So I guess the timeshare is more about hoping that not having either of them at fullback full time hurts us.

Should be looking to sign Ben Hampton to play fullback. He will be playing reserve grade this season anyway. He cut us to pieces from fullback when he got his shot.

I'm 100% certain zilly has a iron clad contract that states he must be in first grade at all times.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Why anyone would answer this type of question honestly is beyond me. Henry will just pick his team in whatever numbers he wants and then roll out his game plan ... I don't believe any of this stuff.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Why anyone would answer this type of question honestly is beyond me. Henry will just pick his team in whatever numbers he wants and then roll out his game plan ... I don't believe any of this stuff.
    Zillman is part of his plan...believe that sir
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh great we are doing dual fullbacks now? Dual hookers was bad enough. Just pick one and stick.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I'm 100% certain zilly has a iron clad contract that states he must be in first grade at all times.
    this contract needs re negotiating more that the CBUS one does.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Henry to gamble on dual fullbacks

Sat 28 Feb, 2015, 6:00am
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent

Gold Coast Titans coach Neil Henry is set to unveil a dual fullback attacking structure for his team's Round 1 clash with the Wests Tigers, unable to split incumbent William Zillman and high-profile recruit Josh Hoffman.

In between off-field controversies the main talking point over the summer at the Titans has been whether Hoffman would unseat Zillman for his preferred position at the back but it appears as though the pair are going to embark on a job-sharing arrangement overseen by Henry.

When teams are announced next week only one man will be wearing the No.1 jersey but Henry believes he can better maximise both players' strengths and their contribution to the team by rotating the pair between fullback and left centre as the game unfolds.

Embarking on his seventh season at the Titans, Zillman was the hero when he kicked the winning field goal against the Bulldogs in Round 26 last season while Hoffman has made no secret of the fact that he wants to make the fullback position his own, a belief that led to him leaving the Broncos after seven years in Brisbane.

"It's going to be one of those things where there might be a bit of positional change during the game, fullback to left centre. It mightn't be ideal but we might start like that," Henry told NRL.com.

"It gives us an option to have two guys carrying the ball at different times who might be a bit fresh as well. 'Hoffy' has got a great carry, a strong carry of the ball on kick returns; 'Zilly' is quick and also got a very fast play-the-ball.

"I don't know if they're going to really rest out in the centres but you'll cover less metres than you do at fullback where you're following the ball all the time.

"It might be a situation where we have got some fresh legs at the back by rotating them between two positions. It's a bit of a change-up too, they're different style of players so it can work; we'll wait and see."

All throughout the pre-season Zillman and Hoffman have been alternating between fullback and left centre during training drills and in the trials. Any potential confusion is likely to be found out by the kicking games of Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah and half Luke Brooks but the upside is a lighter workload for one of the key positions on the field.

It also puts doubt in the minds of the defence when in attack and Titans half Daniel Mortimer is confident that he and five-eighth Aidan Sezer have done sufficient work to have developed combinations with both Zillman and Hoffman.

"We've trained hours each day all week for the whole pre-season so we've got some combinations with both," Mortimer said. "We know how both play so I don't think that will be a factor as long as we're communicating on the field.

"They both play pretty similar styles, they're both hard runners and quite skilful with the ball so as long as the communication is there it doesn't matter who's at the back out of the two."

Henry is resigned to being without automatic selections Greg Bird, Dave Taylor and Beau Falloon for the season-opener but says it will provide an opportunity for some young players to step into some sizeable shoes.

"We've got to finalise our 17. We're going to be without at least three guys – 'Birdy', Dave Taylor and Beau Falloon – but Matt Robinson, Lachlan Burr, Kierran Moseley, Jai Ingram, there are a few replacements there," Henry said.

"They're going to have to step up because they're replacing some quality and some impact with our attack. Kierran Moseley and Matt Srama have been training well, Christian Hazard has been good at training, so we just have to cope with that."

http://www.nrl.com/henry-to-gamble-o...medium=twitter
    Saw this coming. Depends on the exact meaning of 'dual fullback' means. It's been done before and has been successful and unsuccessful at times for different clubs.

Somone mentioned Ben Hampton at fullback? I disagree with this completely. He is capable of filling in at the back but he is a half by trade and its where he plays his best footy for mine. He is a player with a huge heart and alwayd bounces back after a beating.

The best option for Fullback for the Titans iin my opinion is Josh Hoffman. I think most people have judged him harshly and unfairly. I back him to become one of the besy fullbacks in the game if given the opportunity. He is a quality centre though, has all the attributes to excel in that position. Probably needs to work a bit more on his defense in tjis position though.
    A huge fan of the Bulldogs but first and foremost an fan of the game and the game needs the Gold Coast Titans!

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Zillman is part of his plan...believe that sir
    Could well be but my point is whatever they say is sugar-coated for the press master
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

sounds like we are going to get a lot of support and numbers to this game...i hope people behind the scenes are really going to deliver when it comes to game day experience, including bus lines, having enough food and stuff. you cant expect no lines, because a large crowd dictates alot of people are going to use the public transport...but it needs to be organised and understood that this is a free hit at alot of people and we need to WOW them.

We are going to get alot of first timers, or second chancers...the bigger the home run, the more likely to convert and keep them around.

Hey guys is there anywhere to park for free within walking distance of the stadium?? I'd be happy to walk 3k's or so if i had to.

cheers