Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    Having come this far, I hope there is evidence to convict these guys of at least something the club can use to cleanly tear up their contracts, otherwise we are left having to honour those contracts. That leaves are pretty unfortunate smell around the club. As somebody said earlier, how do these guys in good conscience turn up to preach to school kids about healthy lifestyles etc. Falloon et al getting off on a lack of evidence is a worse case scenario for mine.
    But why if you are found innocent in a court of law should you have your contract torn up? Again this turns back to trial by media. If these players are found innocent then they deserve to be re-instated as remember they have only been charged and not convicted so far. Look around the NRL look at the previous indiscretions of Greg Inglis, Jonathon Thurston etc and they are now seen as role models of the game. In no way am I ever condoning drug use and regardless if these players are found guilty then by all means they should be banned from the NRL but if there is not enough evidence to convict then they should be re-instated immediately and I would be more than happy to have them in my team.

This is the whole conundrum ... does the NRL or the club or the fans or the media kick out every person who is suggested to have been caught with their pants down? 5YC is very correct in his assessment and how anybody, statutory body or not, can publically speculate on issues such as this is totally wrong. Is an indictment speculation? No it's more than that but is it a conviction? No it's not as condemning as that either.

The player is stuffed both ways and sideways as are the clubs and the fans but not the media who in fact become the untouchable accusers.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

There is a difference between being found innocent and having charges withdrawn because of a lack of evidence. If they have their day in court and the evidence is found to be fabricated or it was the wrong phone or a different Beau Falloon who texted then all well and good, they are innocent. If the charges are dropped because the texts players were making to known drug dealers were just a little too ambiguous to be effective evidence then that is bad for the club and fans because like it or not the doubt remains. I wouldn't wish ill on these guys but pragmatically, strong convictions would be best.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

I don't think the players should be back on the field before the first court date.
    I read today that one of the lawyers is stating that the phone intercepts include a bunch of code words and the police are saying that the code words relate to the drugs but the lawyer says that they aren't. I am not sure how this will all play out but it is not a good look for the club and the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    There is a difference between being found innocent and having charges withdrawn because of a lack of evidence. If they have their day in court and the evidence is found to be fabricated or it was the wrong phone or a different Beau Falloon who texted then all well and good, they are innocent. If the charges are dropped because the texts players were making to known drug dealers were just a little too ambiguous to be effective evidence then that is bad for the club and fans because like it or not the doubt remains. I wouldn't wish ill on these guys but pragmatically, strong convictions would be best.
    I was trying to say the same thing but couldn't word it right. Well summed up.

Yes but they shouldn't be publically shamed until they are proven guilty, though. The NRL could have a policy where players can be stood down without specific notice of what for.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yes but they shouldn't be publically shamed until they are proven guilty, though. The NRL could have a policy where players can be stood down without specific notice of what for.
    The NRL can have whatever policy they like but it wasn't them that released the names. Can you imagine the media scrum if a player was "stood down" for an undisclosed issue. It would take them about a day to find out why and then they would be all over the league about the secrecy.
    It's a no win situation. Are the players guilty, time will tell. I am however struggling to find a valid reason to call a dealer and speak using code words.... It may be completely innocent but it sure sounds fishy.

I text many people daily. I hope they aren't drug dealers that are unknown to me.
    A huge fan of the Bulldogs but first and foremost an fan of the game and the game needs the Gold Coast Titans!

@josh_massoud: Big development @GCTitans today - and good news for the five suspended players - @7NewsSydney has the exclusive details soon.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    @josh_massoud: Big development @GCTitans today - and good news for the five suspended players - @7NewsSydney has the exclusive details soon.
    Too late, trial by media has tarnished the the players and club. Makes you wonder how the grubby journo's get away with it.

Rep Player

100% Toads! Still need to hear the details but as stated before if these players charges are dropped its all too late for their reputations. No matter the outcome people will always refuse to believe that they are innocent and that label will follow them for the rest of their careers and long after they have retired from the game. And most importantly the slings and arrows this clubs is currently enduring is unwarranted. We are an easy target and everyone wants to line up to take a shot at the titans. Journalism is absolutely pathetic these days anyone with a keyboard and a twitter account can sprout whatever they want

- - - Updated - - -

From twitter:

Other big news on @7NewsSydney: @GCTitans players sign new contracts with @NRL controlled entity - INCLUDING five players on cocaine charges

from what I can gather they are suspended on full pay and can play if they club lifts the ban by the looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Too late, trial by media has tarnished the the players and club. Makes you wonder how the grubby journo's get away with it.
    I can't stand the print media, more specifically the Telecrap, however obviously they are going to report it if players are charged as our blokes were. My main gripe is with the CCC who seemed to bust their boilers to get the names of footy players out even though there are about 100 people caught up in this. If any charges are dropped the players should have the right to take legal action.

I'm with you MT, sure the media are a mercenary lot but some person with nil parents is releasing this stuff. If it's not the authorities grabbing headlines then it's insiders pulling their collective puds.

Big day at the Courthouse today.....not sure if you can sit in on it but i might give it a go.

The media scrum would be worth a look. So because of that, I hope the cases are heard in a closed court (the way the CCC has handled this, the players at least deserve it).

But whatever you decide, Surfer. Have a good day with it.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I can't stand the print media, more specifically the Telecrap, however obviously they are going to report it if players are charged as our blokes were. My main gripe is with the CCC who seemed to bust their boilers to get the names of footy players out even though there are about 100 people caught up in this. If any charges are dropped the players should have the right to take legal action.
    Absolutely agree. The Crime Commission must be brought to account if these charges are dropped without even being tested in Court. The media are just vultures feeding on the carcasse of the Crime Commission's kill. (I'm quite proud of that last sentence, it was quite dramatic. I should write for the Telly!)
    Call me Mr Stupid but...