Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    QLD Cup

These guys have so much going for them. Their reputation must be such an asset after they retire. Why shoot yourself in the foot by risking that for a quick hit or social acceptance?
    I don't know any player personally but I do relate to their public persona. Ash had such a reputation as a hard working honest player, something to be proud of, something that his kids could look up to, so why tarnish that?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    These guys have so much going for them. Their reputation must be such an asset after they retire. Why shoot yourself in the foot by risking that for a quick hit or social acceptance?
    I don't know any player personally but I do relate to their public persona. Ash had such a reputation as a hard working honest player, something to be proud of, something that his kids could look up to, so why tarnish that?
    It could be something known as peer pressure? It's like the culture of booze as well, in some circles if you don't have a beer..you aren't a "real bloke". It's just ignorant of them to do, in the first place. We also have to remember, that these people are just guys throwing around a leather ball for money. A lot of these guys tend to come from working class backgrounds and they shouldn't be held as 'role models' or 'heroes'.

As Tupac Shakur once said "A role is something people play, a model is something people make, both of those things are fake" Athletes should never really be held in such high esteem in the public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Whether they get booked or not they need to face scrutiny and perhaps discipline for breaking the club code of conduct and bringing the club into disrepute. And that can mean tearing up contracts.
    I am torn on this one:
    At the moment "it's he said, she said" The CCC say "you did this", "the players says no I didn't" you can't sack people because someone has said something about you. If the allegations are unfounded and dropped - what then?

I agree if they are found guilty in a court of law, after due process- then deal with them. But at the present time I think the club have a duty of care to the players and their families to carry on as normal until they have their day in court - this could take 2 years to play out in the courts. Innocent until proven guilty. Put yourselves in their shoes - that's a long time to be sleeping on the couch with your kids and all their friends thinking you're a drug dealer.

On the other hand: if a player had been accused of rape of domestic violence I would be screaming get that a-hole out of there NOW!
    The same if players were accused of selling drugs to kids or if there were photos of players snorting coke from hookers belly-buttons etc.

So it's a tough one without the facts and evidence. The CCC and the media circus have hurt our club. Yes, players should be accountable for their actions on and off the field -but they should be entitled to the same code of ethics that applies to all us - innocent until proven guilty and no trial by media.

However, since the poop hit the fan I am confident the club can rise from the ashes and right now I have never been happier being a Titans supporter!

I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, everyone deserves a chance. It's just interesting and sad in a way..what if we do great this season, and then by the end of this year..they are found guilty? What then? We would have to rebuild again..it's a strange spot to be in.

Rep Player

My feeling that these players may have their charges is dismissed is the CCC refusing to release to the players lawyers the extent of the evidence against them. Knowing a few cops and asking them their thoughts it was their impression that this is normally a tactic used when they dont have overwhelming evidence. Again this is all speculation and hear-say but who knows. Another point is the according to Dave Taylors instagram he was overseas surfing with Cody Nelson when the end of season players boat trip was on which seems to be a pretty strong sticking point in the investigation. Again could mean nothing but just some more food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Year Contract View Post
    My feeling that these players may have their charges is dismissed is the CCC refusing to release to the players lawyers the extent of the evidence against them. Knowing a few cops and asking them their thoughts it was their impression that this is normally a tactic used when they dont have overwhelming evidence. Again this is all speculation and hear-say but who knows. Another point is the according to Dave Taylors instagram he was overseas surfing with Cody Nelson when the end of season players boat trip was on which seems to be a pretty strong sticking point in the investigation. Again could mean nothing but just some more food for thought
    Is this Dave Taylor on the Mad Monday Cruise. If so, he better think of another story to tell the courts.

The QCCC don't have to notify the players or their lawyers what info they have on them until it gets to court.

The police do the same thing, so I don't understand why some of your friends who are cops are saying different.

Yup, evidence won't be produced until the prosecution submits it in court. Which will most likely see the players representation (Solicitor) ask for the case/s to be adjourned until a later date so they can review the details and compile a defense.

As the Solicitor said earlier this week, it could be dragged out for up to a couple of years.
    Last edited by Toads; 01-03-15 at 08:46 PM.

LOL, Dave Taylor must be coming up with his own defence. I guess the guys in the second round of court hearings will have a better idea of what to expect after Falloon goes through.

Rep Player

HAHAHA I dunno that looks like Zillman to me!!! Guess i'm mistaken then (geeze I feel like a total goose)! I remember seeing on his instagram he was overseas surfing and thought it strange why he wasn't on the booze cruise my mistake guys! (*edit* just had another look it was mad monday he was surfing not the end of season cruise)

In regards to the evidence again that was just the answer I was given to me and a opinion that was associated with it. As I stated could mean nothing but that was the answer given to me by close friends in the QLD police force. I personally think the real smoking gun for these guys is going to be the possession charges which states, the offence occurred at a certain time and place, you are the offender, you had a substance in your possession and the substance was an illegal drug.

As stated I really hope this is just a media beat up and would be suprised to see all the players convicted but to go up on possession charges they must have something. Either way we hopefully will know more sooner. If they are dead to rights then by all means tear up their contracts but it would be a shame to see these promising careers cutshort by a media witch hunt using these sports players as collateral damage on minor offences to get to the so called 'kingpins'
    Last edited by 5 Year Contract; 01-03-15 at 09:50 PM.

From what I have heard, the QCCC were after John Touma etc (the alleged kingpin)

And they were bugging his mobile & house & they have video & photographic evidence of the so called deals happening.

The Titan players charged weren't the original targets.

This is from News LTD today. Obviously, as a defence lawyer Mr Nyst is not going to say anything different but it still makes for interesting reading.

LINK: http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227243866470

THE lawyer for one of the Gold Coast Titans embroiled in football’s cocaine scandal has demanded the charges be dropped, saying the case against him is “simply non-existent”.

Chris Nyst, one of Queensland’s top legal eagles, representing Titans 2014 player of the year Beau Falloon, has written to the Department of Prosecutions and Gold Coast CEO Graham Annesley, calling the case weak and “doomed to fail”.

Mr Nyst says the charge of supplying cocaine comes down to a series of vague text messages and phone calls, and the charges should be thrown out before they even reach court.

“On the basis of what they have shown us there is no case against our client,” he said.

“It’s simply non-existent.”

The Crime and Corruption Commission will allege Falloon sent accused cocaine cartel kingpin John Touma a text message hours after the Titans’ final game of 2014 saying: “The season starts now”.

It is also alleged Falloon rang Touma to arrange a meeting.

Falloon was charged with supplying cocaine on the same day as Queensland Reds star Karmichael Hunt and was promptly suspended from club duties.

However, Mr Nyst said information received from the CCC’s year-long probe into a multimillion-dollar cocaine cartel operating in southeast Queensland offered no hard evidence against Falloon.

Lawyer Chris Nyst says the case against Titan Beau Falloon is “non-existent”.
    Lawyer Chris Nyst says the case against Titan Beau Falloon is “non-existent”.
    “It is patently obvious to me that the (case) summary disclosed absolutely nothing to prove Mr Falloon supplied or received anything at all,” he said.

“In my view any competent lawyer would conclude from the disclosed material there is no case against Mr *Falloon on any of the charges against him.”

In a letter to the Department of Prosecutions, Mr Nyst called for the charges to be dropped before the case even reaches court

“The prosecution (as it stands) should be discontinued forthwith, to ensure there is no further damage to our client, to his employer, or to the public at large.”

He also wrote to Annesley calling for Falloon’s immediate return to the playing squad.

Fellow Gold Coast defence lawyer Campbell MacCallum, who is representing six other past and present Titans charged with supplying cocaine, said he was equally confident his clients would beat the charges.

Mr MacCallum said he would meet with prosecutors Monday and hoped to address the Titans’ board as soon as tonight to call for the reinstatement of suspended clients Greg Bird, Dave Taylor, Jamie Dowling and Kalifa Faifai Loa.

“I will be requesting that the players be reinstated,” he said.

“They have instructed me that they want to play in the first round.”

However, Titans chief Annesley said it was “unlikely” the players would be able to return to the fold before Round 1.

A spokesman for the CCC said the organisation would not be making any further comment while the matter was before the court.

Hunt, Falloon and Dowling will face Southport Magistrates Court on Thursday, with Bird, Taylor, Faifai Loa and former Titans Joe Vickery and Ashley Harrison set to appear four days later.

A warrant has been issued for former Titan Steve Michaels who is playing in England but faces arrest on his return. All will face charges of supplying cocaine.

The CCC does not allege that those players are involved in trafficking.

Those allegations have been levelled against three other former footballers — Touma, Jason Smith and Matt Seers.

They will also face court on drug charges in coming weeks.
    Last edited by karnage; 02-03-15 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Adding link

Rep Player

Another article from the Australian not much new here:

link:http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1227243846753

Accused Gold Coast Titans players demand to play

FOUR of the five Gold Coast players facing cocaine charges from Queensland’s Crime and Corruption Commission have demanded to be reinstated before the club’s opening game of the season against Wests Tigers at CBus Super Stadium on Saturday night.

The lawyer representing four of the players, Campbell MacCallum, will today meet police prosecutors handling the case. He will receive a summary of the evidence to be presented when the players face Southport Magistrates Court on March 5 and 9.

The players — State of Origin representatives Greg Bird and Dave Taylor, Beau Falloon, Kalifa Faifai Loa and Jamie Dowling — were stood down by the club after being caught in a CCC investigation into a cocaine trafficking ring operating in southeast Queensland.

The players were allegedly caught using intercepted phone conversations during the CCC’s investigation but have all maintained their innocence.

MacCallum said that he could challenge the allegations of supply of dangerous drugs and he was confident that he could get the charges withdrawn. He hopes to address the board on behalf of the players before the Titans’ game on Saturday night.

“I’m going to request that the board either meet with me in person or accept a written submission asking that they be immediately be reinstated,’’ MacCallum said last night.

“We’re confident that once we forward submissions as to why they can’t prove the case then we think they will have the charges withdrawn at an early stage as opposed to going to committal hearings.

“They want to be reinstated for round one if possible. They’re ready to go and want to get back on the training field and playing field. They don’t want to sit around and get paid to do nothing. They want to get out there and play.’’

The Titans have launched their own investigation into the matter. They suffered a setback last week when the CCC turned down a request to share any information with the club before the matters went to court.

Falloon, who is being represented by lawyer Chris Nyst, and Jamie Dowling will face Southport Magistrates Court on Thursday to answer cocaine supply and use charges, while Bird, Taylor and Faifai Loa will appear next Monday.

The players — particularly Bird, who was warned last year he was on his last chance after being fined for urinating near a police car — face the sack for breaching the NRL’s Code of Conduct if any of the allegations are proven.

Gold Coast chief executive Graham Annesley indicated yesterday the club would not be in a position to make any decisions until its own inquiry was over. The club has already served the players with notices to front the board at a date yet to be determined.

“It’s impossible to answer what the outcome might be until we get information and until the board gets a chance to speak to the players,’’ Annesley said.

“We’re seeking information as quickly as possible. More information will become available when they appear in court.’’

The timing couldn’t be worse for the club, which is sweating on a decision from Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans as to whether he will join the Titans next season.

The Australia representative, who is off contract at the end of the year, is also weighing up offers from Cronulla and the Sea Eagles with a decision expected this week.

“We’ve clearly got to resolve what the situation is with these five players and, apart from that and preparing for a game next weekend to start the competition, they’re our priorities,’’ *Annesley said.

“I don’t have a crystal ball, so like everybody else at every other club we’ll wait and see what unfolds.’’

Will be interesting to see what plays out in the next fortnight. My gut feeling is that Bird, Falloon and Taylor will all be eligible to play once their preliminary trial is settled.

Junior

Having come this far, I hope there is evidence to convict these guys of at least something the club can use to cleanly tear up their contracts, otherwise we are left having to honour those contracts. That leaves are pretty unfortunate smell around the club. As somebody said earlier, how do these guys in good conscience turn up to preach to school kids about healthy lifestyles etc. Falloon et al getting off on a lack of evidence is a worse case scenario for mine.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Will be interesting to see what plays out in the next fortnight. My gut feeling is that Bird, Falloon and Taylor will all be eligible to play once their preliminary trial is settled.
    Agreed, but Bird should be gone for good considering his recent indiscretion.