Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

The memories when the club first kicked off with the mantra of being role models on and off the field have long gone. Sadly. We extended help to players at their lowest and now we are simply a joke and that just sucks.
    High profile player peeing on a police car, cocaine charges, drink driving - our culture isn't far from the Bulldogs athe glorious grubby best. I only got my membership card a month or so ago and seriously ......I am wondering if I can get a refund.

From what, for me, was shaping up at the most exciting start to a season we had had for years, to an absolute embarrassing disgrace before a ball has been kicked.
    I'm absolutely gutted. God knows what the rest of the team thinks.
    I do have a bad feeling about the friends and colleagues - there may be 4 more Titans but I have a feeling there could be more in more codes.
    Hunt is well known and respected (or at least was) and I just have this crappy feeling that this once again will tarnish not only our club but our sport before the season kicks off.
    Gutted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    The real issue is why the players were caught from a police drug operation and not from the code's drug testing program which is a joke
    I'm not an expert on the effects of various drugs but following footy of late is giving me a rapidly developing understanding. I understand Coke gets clear of your system quickly and often misses the testers and is the safest to take.
    Of course in AFL they keep the first one or two positive tests "in house" so you will not know what goes on there. Interesting that Hunt was at the Suns most of the time this relates to but has only caught NRL players. If Hunt tested positive I think their rules are that we would not hear about a first offence.

Gold Coast Titans’ future unclear as pressure mounts on NRL to revoke licence

PETER BADEL, TRAVIS MEYN AND CHRIS GARRY THE COURIER-MAIL FEBRUARY 20, 2015 11:00PM

THE Gold Coast Titans are on their knees, with the NRL are under pressure to revoke the club’s licence, and saviour Darryl Kelly weighing up his investment amid the drugs scandal engulfing the club.

In the latest embarrassment for the NRL, the Gold Coast are officially homeless today, opting to sever ties with The Southport School following the charges against Titans duo Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling.

Like fallen Reds star Karmichael Hunt, the pair were served with notices to appear in Southport Magistrates Court on March 5 after being charged with supply of cocaine.

But the scandal could have more dire repercussions for a Titans club at risk of having its NRL licence reviewed after the constant turmoil plaguing the embattled club.

In the last three months alone:

■ The Titans were fined $300,000 by the NRL for a salary-cap breach.

■ Titans boss Graham Annesley publicly apologised for off-field incidents involving star forward Greg Bird

■ Promising forward Paul Carter was sacked for drink driving.

Such is the pressure engulfing the club, Annesley admitted he has at times questioned his own involvement in the Gold Coast basketcase.

Compounding their pain, a secret consortium considering investing in the Titans is now weighing up whether to walk away from a club lurching from one disaster to the next.

Under NRL rules, each of the 16 clubs must satisfy key criteria to remain in the premiership. Given Gold Coast’s ongoing financial concerns and struggle for sponsorship, NRL hierarchy may decide to wipe the slate clean, particularly if white knight Kelly formally cuts his losses.

The 64-year-old almost single-handedly saved the Titans from extinction in 2012 when he helped bail them out of a $25 million debt.

Kelly now owns 47.2 per cent of the club, which equates to $5.3 million, and was ready to bankroll a $7 million development at Coomera to guarantee their long-term future.

But Kelly is now questioning his commitment to the club following a series of off-field scandals. A shattered Annesley concedes he is dismayed by the latest fiasco that has left the Titans scrambling for a training base two weeks before the premiership.

“This is massively disruptive,” he said.

“Darryl’s been a Trojan since he’s been involved with this club but who could blame anyone if they had second thoughts.

“At times I have doubts myself about my involvement.

“This is another black day for this club but we’ll keep trying to turn this club around and make it successful and change the culture to make sure that everyone can be proud of this club.

“The culture’s not endemic. I’m sure it’s not.

“The fans must be shellshocked by some of these things, and I can only appeal to them to hang in there.”

The Titans said they decided it was in everyone’s best interest not to train in the vicinity of school children while two of their players were facing cocaine supply charges.

Annesley admits the club has no contingency plans for training and would have to rush to find a new home after abandoning the Centre of Excellence late last year.

“The board and management of the club have taken the view it is inappropriate that we should remain in a private school among impressionable young people and as such we will be transferring our training venue effective immediately,” Annesley said.

“As we stand here, I am not really sure to be honest (where the Titans will train).

“We have had a brief discussion upstairs about our options. We made the initial decision (to leave).

“It was obvious this morning it wasn’t possible to stay at the school. They have been fantastic to us. They don’t deserve to be involved in these scandals.”

More than 10 footballers involved in Queensland drug probe

PETER BADEL, JEREMY PIERCE AND CHRIS GARRY THE COURIER-MAIL FEBRUARY 20, 2015 9:36PM

UPDATE: MORE than 10 footballers are embroiled in the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission probe that on Friday netted Reds star Karmichael Hunt and Titans duo Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling.

In Queensland sport’s darkest day, the CCC yesterday dropped a bombshell, levelling charges against tri-code athlete Hunt, Falloon and Dowling for allegedly supplying cocaine.

The series of busts are part of a sweeping, six-month police sting that saw former Origin league stars Jason Smith and Matt Seers charged last month for cocaine trafficking.

Hunt, Falloon and Dowling were immediately stood down by their clubs. And well-placed sources told The Courier-Mail on Friday night more big names are under surveillance at three leading Queensland teams – NRL’s Titans, rugby’s Reds and AFL’s Suns.

It can be revealed drug investigators have personally contacted a fourth Queensland sporting star, while as many as seven Titans players are in the crosshairs of the probe.

More charges are expected to be laid on Saturday, following Saturday night’s trial between North Queensland and the Titans in Cairns.

The CCC will allege the players were supplying cocaine for personal use or to on-supply cocaine to friends and colleagues between June and December last year.

The first ruction hit on Friday morning, when 28-year-old Hunt – the Reds’ marquee off-season recruit – was charged with four counts of supplying cocaine.

Queensland sport was then rocked by revelations Falloon, 27, and Dowling, 24, had also been served with notices to appear in court on four and two counts of supply respectively.

The trio will appear in Southport Magistrates Court on March 5 – the day of the NRL’s premiership opener between the Broncos and Souths at Suncorp Stadium.

Officials at the Gold Coast Suns said last night they had not been contacted by authorities. But the Titans are facing a nervous wait, with top-liners other than Falloon and Dowling also on the CCC’s drugs radar.

Shattered Titans boss Graham Annesley admitted on Friday night it was a “black day” for the club, with Dowling and Falloon failing to advise the club of their arrests.

“Unfortunately, I was placed in a situation where I learned about these matters through the media,” he said.

Asked if there would be more arrests, he said: “I simply don’t know. I didn’t know these matters were being made public today. We have to see what unfolds.

“We have spent the vast part of the day trying to get the veracity of what were rumours but are now facts.

“The playing group has been addressed this afternoon to advise them of what is going on.

“The fact it has taken us a long time today to verify these matters is very disappointing.

“There are a lot of very good people associated with this club. It is not fair to them that get dragged through these scandals.”

The Titans have now been forced out of their Southport School training facility and are currently homeless.

The Titans decided it was in the school’s and their best interest to not train in the vicinity of children while two of their players are facing cocaine supply charges.

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley said the club had no contingency plans and would have to rush to find a new place to train.

The Titans had only been at the venue this pre-season after their lease ran out at the much-maligned Centre of Excellence.

Criminal lawyer Chris Nyst confirmed he would be representing Falloon, saying: “We’re given to understand it relates to alleged relatively minor drug use unrelated to Mr Falloon’s football activities.”

Dowling also intends to contest the charges.

QRU CEO Jim Carmichael said: “It has been determined by QRU, ARU and the Rugby Union Players’ Association and after discussion with Karmichael that it would be best for his welfare that he is not available for selection this weekend.”

Meanwhile, former Brisbane CEO Bruno Cullen insists Hunt was not involved with drugs during his Broncos career.

Cullen was chief of the Broncos from 2003 until 2010, Hunt’s entire career at the club.

Cullen said there were no issues presented to him regarding Hunt that involved drugs.

“I’m totally shocked,” Cullen said.

“We had no indication of any of that activity when he was at the Broncos.

“Definitely not. There was no suggestion of anything to do with that (drugs).”

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Badel working over-time tonight...
    Last edited by K2G; 20-02-15 at 11:02 PM.

In part from News.com.au
    "It can be revealed drug investigators have personally contacted a fourth Queensland sporting star, while as many as seven Titans players are in the crosshairs of the probe."

Awesome.

It would be such a tragedy if we lost a great man like Daryl Kelly who has put so much on the line for us.

Same with Annesley . We need him.

As bad as things are, I don't see the club has untenable. It's other factors that have been thrust onto the club, we are all well aware of those.

We have seen other clubs come back from what seemed like a fatal situation. Canterbury and Souths for different reasons.

Rugby League must stay on the Coast with a full time team. No relocations. That is wrong by Rugby League, wrong by the Gold Coast and wrong by Brisbane and Ipswich or any other speculative location the uninformed media want to throw around.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

"Gold Coast Titans’ future unclear as pressure mounts on NRL to revoke licence"
    Who is mounting pressure? Haven't seen anyone else, apart from Newscorp media regurgitating this story since it 'broke'.

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    In part from News.com.au
    "It can be revealed drug investigators have personally contacted a fourth Queensland sporting star, while as many as seven Titans players are in the crosshairs of the probe."

Awesome.
    2. Then 6. Now 7. Bloody hell.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Immortal

lets not kid ourselves this is going to get far worse before there is any sign of it getting better, and lets not kid ourselves our future is on the line as other clubs and codes sink the boot in to try to save themselves. We are in a world of trouble, what parent would let their child be involved with us in any way shape or form, only Graham Annersley can hold his head high, walk away Graham for your own health, I applaud you for your statement this afternoon, you deserve better. This may be the end of the Titans but it may be a watershed moment for the code, small comfort though for long suffering titans supporters. Tomorrow will be the first day in probably 10 years where I will not be wearing some sort of titans gear whether than be a jersey, shirt or shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Major sponsor?

Reminds me to go watch episode 1.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    lets not kid ourselves this is going to get far worse before there is any sign of it getting better, and lets not kid ourselves our future is on the line as other clubs and codes sink the boot in to try to save themselves. We are in a world of trouble, what parent would let their child be involved with us in any way shape or form, only Graham Annersley can hold his head high, walk away Graham for your own health, I applaud you for your statement this afternoon, you deserve better. This may be the end of the Titans but it may be a watershed moment for the code, small comfort though for long suffering titans supporters. Tomorrow will be the first day in probably 10 years where I will not be wearing some sort of titans gear whether than be a jersey, shirt or shorts.
    Understandable. You are right about other clubs and codes laying the boot in, that will happen.

I can't see us replacing Annesley with anyone credible.

Anyone got a link to this presser?

I'm bracing myself for the next salvo being loaded into cannons right about now by journos...

If NRL threaten to kick us out then Kelly sues!

That's it...That's all I got. Must be after 10pm.

Hey Toads, I think I am still a ********.

How does Annesley escape all this? He's been in charge for 18 months not 18 minutes and what's happened under his watch … the whole friggin' boots and caboodle … p1ssing captain, DUI, no sponsor, no training ground, diminishing supporters, now this ……….. etc.

And on reflection:

A. If and I mean a big IF he didn't know about this how come the media did on Thursday but he didn't?

and

B. nearly as far-fetched, he is so far removed from the players that they didn't feel obliged to tell him.

or even

C. with maybe 7 or more players in the squad involved then everybody must have known something surely?

How I hate this stuff.
    Last edited by Titanic; 21-02-15 at 01:25 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Spare a thought for poor Neil Henry!