Default Brisbane Broncos’ founder Barry Maranta helping to save Gold Coast Titans

PETER BADEL | EXCLUSIVE THE COURIER-MAIL | FEBRUARY 19, 2015 11:00PM

BARRY Maranta helped to create State of Origin, played a key role in launching the Broncos and made Manchester United popular with billions in Asia.

Now the Queensland business guru has turned his attention to saving the Titans with a blueprint to help the club trump AFL’s Suns in Gold Coast’s sporting turf war.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Maranta, one of Australian sport’s sharpest business minds, has offered his services to ensure the long-term survival of the embattled Titans.

Concerned about the Titans’ future, Maranta contacted Gold Coast boss Graham Annesley last month.

At a follow-up meeting, Maranta passed on more than 30 years of entrepreneurial wisdom, including personal notes and strategies which made the Broncos one of the most successful clubs in Australian sport.

While his heart will always be with the Broncos, Maranta said he and new Titans ambassador Gorden Tallis shared a similar philosophy to rescue rugby league on the Gold Coast.

“There are a few of us trying to help the Titans and hopefully we can get the club back on top again,” Maranta said.

“I don’t want Paul White (Brisbane CEO) to think I’m selling out the Broncos, but like Gordie I love rugby league in Queensland and it’s important for the Titans to survive and eventually thrive.

“It disappoints me greatly to see the Titans in the state they are. I don’t buy this talk that fans won’t support a team on the Gold Coast.

“I had a great meeting with Graham Annesley where I passed on my notes and any experience I have.

“I said to the Titans ‘if your guys in marketing are not passionate about the club and the gameand are not incentivised to perform, sack them'.

“There are ways to get bums on seats and rather than keep the ideas to myself, I want to share it with the Titans and help them become a force.’’

Maranta, whose grandson Lachlan plays for the Broncos, has one of the most impressive resumes in Australian sport.

In 1978, he spoke to the Queensland Rugby League about launching State of Origin after watching the concept in Australian Rules.

A decade later, he was part of the consortium which founded the Broncos, who took only four years to win their first premiership.

Maranta was also pivotal in the development of the London Broncos and was later hired by Manchester United to promote their brand in Asian and Australian markets.

“When we sold the Broncos, we had 44,000 at games and we had the biggest sponsorship of any team in Australia. We did a lot of things right,” he said.

“I’m interested to see if the Titans take up the things I suggested. I don’t have all the answers, but I know what it takes to make a football club successful.

“Rugby league can succeed on the Gold Coast, I am adamant about that, but the Titans need to connect with their community.

“If you don’t get crowds up, you don’t get sponsors. It’s a very simple causal relationship. Why would a sponsor get interested if fans won’t go there?’’

Annesley said he intended to stay in regular contact with Maranta.

“We had a good couple of hours talking about things at the Broncos that were successful and we are definitely going to look at things for the Titans,” Annesley said.

“I’ve indicated I want to get Barry back in the very near future to talk to our sales and marketing people and pass on some of his wisdom.

“He’s an incredibly successful businessman, everyone knows what fantastic success the Broncos had in their early years and Barry was the driving force behind that.”

So much common sense in this article. Connect with fans, get them more engaged and sponsors will follow. Ensure staff are passionate about the club etc.

Putting a fresh young side on the park that the fans can get behind should be step 1 (which imo means getting rid of zillman, falloon and mortimer for a start and bringing moseley, LG and some other new talent in asap)

Good signs.

What he could really help us do is build a presence in Brisbane.

That is where the mass market is, the sponsors and media.

We need to make the derby huge. We need to stoke the fire.

But we have done nothing since admission to do this.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    But we have done nothing since admission to do this.
    Not quite DH. Those early "home" games at Suncorp were a good way to start. We missed the chance to capitalise on those games and now it is an uphill battle.
    Happy to see people with a proven track record stepping in and giving advice.

Junior

Great Article, just the type of person/astute businessman that we need helping the Administraton arm of our great club, we can only move fwd with input from persons of this calibre.

It's great that Barry is showing such an interest and also giving his valued advice but aren't there people on the payroll right now who's job it is to achieve this? Do we have the right people in the job. It's pretty obvious that 99% of the comments on this forum regarding the themed rounds are negative.