Default Titans coach Neil Henry tells James Roberts shape up or ship out

Titans coach Neil Henry tells James Roberts shape up or ship out

CHRIS GARRY
    THE COURIER-MAIL
    FEBRUARY 14, 2015 11:00PM

JAMES Roberts, the most frustrating player in the NRL, is typically shy during interviews and rarely makes eye contact.

However, when asked what he thinks of Neil Henry, Roberts stares straight.

“With Neil ... he’s not afraid to drop anyone,” Roberts said with a grin as if remembering a specific threat from Henry.

In an exclusive interview with The Sunday Mail, Roberts revealed how the bluntness of Titans new coach Neil Henry was already bringing the best out of him.

Roberts even compared Henry to South Sydney’s premiership winning coach Michael Maguire.

Maguire sacked the La Perouse junior in 2012.

However, because Maguire was so honest with Roberts and didn’t play games with his future, the outside back respected his decision.

Roberts is the fastest NRL player and he should become an Origin superstar.

His Titans teammate Greg Bird compares him to a young Greg Inglis, his lanky frame enabling him to run around defenders with ease.

There are fears he will be one of hundreds of league talents whose name will always be followed by the word potential.

Like his Titans teammate Dave Taylor, a series of coaches have tried to turn Roberts’ raw talent into consistent performances but with limited success.

Roberts’ issues are off-field predominantly as he has struggled to overcome a troubled childhood.

Sacked by two clubs before his 20th birthday, he was again in trouble over the Christmas break.

It was a minor incident in Surfers Paradise in which Roberts failed to move on when asked by police but charges were quickly dropped.

From day one it was Henry who stood behind Roberts and refused to even entertain the prospect of punting him.

Roberts gushes in praise for the former Maroons assistant coach.

“He has been awesome. He is very technical. I was coached by Michael Maguire at Souths and Neil is like Maguire, he actually reminds me a lot of him.

“He is a straight shooter.

“It is all about the team. He will tell you straight. He will drop you if he has to.

“He just wants to get the message through to you.

“This is the hardest pre-season I have done in my four years in top grade.

“I feel really good. I am really looking forward to this season.

“I am a lot fitter. King has been getting into me for my fitness.

“We have been doing endless running and it is helping me.”

The Titans will use Roberts at left centre this year.

Their challenge is to turn a quiet personality into a player who demands the ball.

The Gold Coast are longshots to make the finals. This is a rebuilding season.

However, they need to begin attracting fans and Roberts is a key to their makeover attempts.

It is more than just Roberts relying on Henry unlocking his potential, it is the coast’s league fraternity who yearn for a star to watch.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227219851846

only concern is left centre...his in and away with fend works so well on the right. but if he gets cracking, it maybe wont matter.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    only concern is left centre...his in and away with fend works so well on the right. but if he gets cracking, it maybe wont matter.
    I was thinking the same..plus Sezer and Bird choke the ball so Roberts could be seeing it even less

Henry is prob more concerned with Roberts doing more of the hardwork on the field, dummy half scoots is one area that the team needs from him. His acceleration and small size around the ruck must be taken advantage of. He could learn a thing or 2 from the likes of a Steve Matai
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I must say that the comparison with Inglis is so far out of line. One is lanky but it's not Roberts who would be best described as chunky, surely?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I must say that the comparison with Inglis is so far out of line. One is lanky but it's not Roberts who would be best described as chunky, surely?
    lol, so many GI comparisons of every young aboriginal outside back coming through grade.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

so true ... now we are just waiting for the DCE/Alfie comparison.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    I was thinking the same..plus Sezer and Bird choke the ball so Roberts could be seeing it even less
    I'd expect those issues to be put to bed with a new attacking structure under Neil Henry. If we play anything like his NQ side the backrowers will run straight lines off the halves, not stand stationary in the centres waiting to do whatever the hell they like.

Agreed - the worst thing we did was have Bird on the left choking up any room for the centre. We may as well have played him at centre. If we shift Bird into the centre third that will be a blessing. So is James or Taylor going to be playing on the left with Roberts - I can see a few offloads being converted into points, as long as Sezer gives it some air.

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    Agreed - the worst thing we did was have Bird on the left choking up any room for the centre. We may as well have played him at centre. If we shift Bird into the centre third that will be a blessing. So is James or Taylor going to be playing on the left with Roberts - I can see a few offloads being converted into points, as long as Sezer gives it some air.
    James Roberts, Ryan james, Dave Taylor...way too many first names on that side...throw Kevin Gordon or Anthony Don on that left wing , and there is nary a surname to be found.

i think Taylor is best on left, he and roberts could cause some carnage, if Taylor can draw some players in...roberts is ggoooOOOoone.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    James Roberts, Ryan james, Dave Taylor...way too many first names on that side...throw Kevin Gordon or Anthony Don on that left wing , and there is nary a surname to be found.
    HAHA!! Hilarious.