Titans coach Neil Henry tells James Roberts shape up or ship out

CHRIS GARRY
THE COURIER-MAIL
FEBRUARY 14, 2015 11:00PM

JAMES Roberts, the most frustrating player in the NRL, is typically shy during interviews and rarely makes eye contact.

However, when asked what he thinks of Neil Henry, Roberts stares straight.

“With Neil ... he’s not afraid to drop anyone,” Roberts said with a grin as if remembering a specific threat from Henry.

In an exclusive interview with The Sunday Mail, Roberts revealed how the bluntness of Titans new coach Neil Henry was already bringing the best out of him.

Roberts even compared Henry to South Sydney’s premiership winning coach Michael Maguire.

Maguire sacked the La Perouse junior in 2012.

However, because Maguire was so honest with Roberts and didn’t play games with his future, the outside back respected his decision.

Roberts is the fastest NRL player and he should become an Origin superstar.

His Titans teammate Greg Bird compares him to a young Greg Inglis, his lanky frame enabling him to run around defenders with ease.

There are fears he will be one of hundreds of league talents whose name will always be followed by the word potential.

Like his Titans teammate Dave Taylor, a series of coaches have tried to turn Roberts’ raw talent into consistent performances but with limited success.

Roberts’ issues are off-field predominantly as he has struggled to overcome a troubled childhood.

Sacked by two clubs before his 20th birthday, he was again in trouble over the Christmas break.

It was a minor incident in Surfers Paradise in which Roberts failed to move on when asked by police but charges were quickly dropped.

From day one it was Henry who stood behind Roberts and refused to even entertain the prospect of punting him.

Roberts gushes in praise for the former Maroons assistant coach.

“He has been awesome. He is very technical. I was coached by Michael Maguire at Souths and Neil is like Maguire, he actually reminds me a lot of him.

“He is a straight shooter.

“It is all about the team. He will tell you straight. He will drop you if he has to.

“He just wants to get the message through to you.

“This is the hardest pre-season I have done in my four years in top grade.

“I feel really good. I am really looking forward to this season.

“I am a lot fitter. King has been getting into me for my fitness.

“We have been doing endless running and it is helping me.”

The Titans will use Roberts at left centre this year.

Their challenge is to turn a quiet personality into a player who demands the ball.

The Gold Coast are longshots to make the finals. This is a rebuilding season.

However, they need to begin attracting fans and Roberts is a key to their makeover attempts.

It is more than just Roberts relying on Henry unlocking his potential, it is the coast’s league fraternity who yearn for a star to watch.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227219851846