Default Broncos legend Gorden Tallis becomes new face of Gold Coast Titans

FROM COURIERMAIL.COM.AU TODD BALYM EXCLUSIVE NEWS LIMITED FEBRUARY 11, 2015 11:00PM

GORDEN Tallis helped bring the Gold Coast Titans to life, and now the Brisbane legend is casting aside his Broncos loyalty to become the new face of the Titans as they embark upon their new era.

The former Brisbane captain and triple premiership star has signed on to become a Titans ambassador for 2015, working with the club as they rebuild under close friend and new Titans chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle.

Tallis was a member of the NRL board from 2005-2008 when the Titans were awarded a licence to join the competition in 2007 and feels it is his duty to help the club get back on top, just like when he agreed to bring league back to the Gold Coast less than a decade ago.

“I am just a fan of the game. We’ve seen too many clubs fail on the Gold Coast, and the Titans need to be here for many years to come,” Tallis said.

“It is important for rugby league to thrive on the Gold Coast. My duty is to ensure the kids of Queensland have a pathway to the NRL, and if I can help the Titans in any way I will.”

While Tallis recognises Broncos fans might feel upset that their former skipper is throwing his weight behind “little brother” down the highway, his priority has always been the growth of rugby league.

It is why he previously served on the Cowboys board, and why he also agreed to Russell Crowe’s request a few years ago to be an assistant coach at South Sydney.

Now, it’s the Titans who need a helping hand.

The club has a $1.25m black hole without three major sponsors for the coming year, owner Michael Searle is trying to sell his $4.4m stake in the club and the Titans have missed the finals for four straight years.

The NRL has committed to support the Titans on the long haul, but Tallis wants to see the club thriving off the field and competing for premierships on it.

He has offered his services to mentor players, share his opinion on playing talent for recruitment, attend any corporate events and spruik the club by making extra local media appearances outside of his existing roles working for Fox Sports, Triple M radio and The Courier-Mail.

The former Queensland Origin skipper has seen Frizelle’s business plan and the new direction CEO Graham Annesley is taking the Titans, and believes the club will ultimately become a successful entity in the coming years.

“This club is moving forward. They have the direction and they have great plans for the future and they will become successful,” he said.

“We can’t focus on the past. It’s time for the fans and community to throw their support back behind the Titans because the club has a big future ahead.”

Frizelle said having someone of Tallis’ calibre wanting to be involved in the Titans is further proof the club is on the up.

“Gorden Tallis becoming an ambassador for the Titans is a further sign the Titans are here to stay on the Gold Coast,” Frizelle said.

“We are going nowhere. We are not going to Brisbane. We are not going to Ipswich. We are staying here. This is the Titans long term home.

““We are going through a rebuilding phase, we’ve got more exciting projects to announce that are coming very shortly and to have the ilk of Gorden Tallis signing on who is a legend of the Broncos and to be aligning with the Titans is a sign of the confidence people have in the team.”

- - - Updated - - -

Might have to change my username back!

Out of left field, but I think it's a great get. Love Gordie. He will provide a huge boost in getting us more positive media coverage and fan engagement. Having him on board won't hurt our potential player signing pull and corporate side of things either imo. I hope he's in DCE's ear already. Welcome to the Gold Coast GT, you legend.

Raging Bull and Bull Bailey ... there's gotta be some kind of joke/promotion there?

This is a good move. If he can talk the club up in the League circles that he moves on that is a great thing. Also the media commitment that he has if he says positive things about the Titans then hopefully we can start to win over the NSW media as well.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Gordon is a strong character, knows how to win and get things done, and isnt afraid to speak the truth.

i can imagine him in and about the club putting some players feet to the fire... letting them know they are not up to the mark.

and of course his ability to spruik our causes on triple m or 360 is gold...very good pickup imo

So Gordie not going to hang **** on us anymore?

By far my favourite ex-player media personality ... I suggest a promotional fight with that pussy Farah as his first fund-raiser, the tv rights alone would settle our debt once and for all ... welcome Gordie ya big wanka.

I love Gordie, really delighted to see him associated with our club! On ya Gordie!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I've had a beer or 3 with Gordy & he's surprising intelligent & very funny which is a big shock considering he's a QLDer

settle down fella's
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I've had a beer or 3 with Gordy & he's surprising intelligent & very funny which is a big shock considering he's a QLDer

settle down fella's
    Hahaha!!

But as people like me and Coaster say, you appeal to the Queenslanders out there and Gordie is the best you can get.

His heart is in the right place and I value his opinion. Some times he has some out there views, but at least he wears his heart on his sleeve and isnt afraid of saying something or suggesting something.

Can we keep him?

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hahaha!!

But as people like me and Coaster say, you appeal to the Queenslanders out there and Gordie is the best you can get.

His heart is in the right place and I value his opinion. Some times he has some out there views, but at least he wears his heart on his sleeve and isnt afraid of saying something or suggesting something.

Can we keep him?
    If i was going to war i'd want him with me
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    If i was going to war i'd want him with me
    I had aways considered you as a Hopoate-type bloke
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

This shows just how much Gordie hates Bennett. Good to have Gordie on board though. We need all the exposure we can get. Some big sponsors would really help us out. Getting him on board can only help that.

Very happy when I read about this, Gordy is a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    This shows just how much Gordie hates Bennett. Good to have Gordie on board though. We need all the exposure we can get. Some big sponsors would really help us out. Getting him on board can only help that.
    Didnt read into it with the Bennett v Gordie thing. But it probably is a factor.

Rep Player

Dave Taylor's ears will be burning. Ole Gordie loves giving Dave a spray every year around origin. That said great move for the club the more prominent ambassadors for our club the better