Default Dave Taylor says he’s in the best shape of his career

PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL FEBRUARY 10, 2015 11:00PM

HE was once banned from drinking protein shakes. Now Titans hulk Dave Taylor has ditched coffee and sports drinks as part of a dietary overhaul that will see him start the 2015 premiership in the best shape of his 10-year career.

Rugby league fans will see a more slimline version of Taylor when he runs out for the NRL All Stars against their Indigenous rivals this Friday night on the Gold Coast.

Now weighing 119kg, ‘The Coal Train’ will never be a scrumbase flyweight. But after years of hovering around the 122-123kg mark, the 26-year-old admits he can no longer afford to carry excess weight as he approaches a crucial midpoint of his NRL career.

Titans coach Neil Henry believes Taylor has yet to reach his potential and the former Maroons forward is hoping a diet free of caffeine and lower in sugar will help him realise it.

“I’ve learned you have to be very disciplined and just consistent in everything — in your game and off the field,” Taylor said.

“I’m down to about 119kg at the moment, so I’ve dropped a couple of kilos.

“I was around this weight at the end of last year, but I’m feeling better and it (his weight) is definitely something I’ve had to work on.

“I have to be disciplined with my diet and watching what I am eating. The coffee and Powerade ... I’ve just cut down on those. That’s two big things I needed to cut down on and it’s made a difference.

“He (Henry) has got in my ear about my discipline and it’s definitely something I have taken on board as well.”

During his tenure at the Broncos in 2009, Taylor was instructed by conditioning staff to stop drinking protein shakes to prevent him bulking up. But his physical preparation was only one facet — Taylor’s mental approach has also consistently frustrated his top-level coaches.

Henry hopes to succeed where others have failed.

In 2012, Maroons coach Mal Meninga axed Taylor for a second time due to his pre-game preparation, but the forward insists he has learned harsh lessons.

Origin and Test jumpers no longer drive him. The search for consistency does.

“If I play solid football and play consistent, I can put myself in a good spot (for representative selection),” he said.

“I’m not going to come out and say I’m putting my hand up for Origin. I’m just going to try and be consistent, and play my best football for the Titans.”

Taylor, who debuted as a 17-year-old at the Broncos, can scarcely believe he is about to celebrate a decade in the NRL.

“I’m feeling every bit of it,” he said.

“Waking up is just not the same. The body is getting a bit sore. It’s incredible to have been playing for 10 years, hopefully I have a few more left in me also.

“The All Stars is a great concept and I hope it stays. It’s really enjoyable being back with Wayne (Bennett, his former Broncos coach) and learning a few things in camp.”

he might have been 125 last year, but i saw him several times face to face and he was a solid block of muscle.

so he may have slimmed down, but its not excess fat or something, hes just super duper lean.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    he might have been 125 last year, but i saw him several times face to face and he was a solid block of muscle.

so he may have slimmed down, but its not excess fat or something, hes just super duper lean.
    gaaaaay !!!!
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

There is an article about DT being in the best shape of his career every off season. Just be more consistent and drop the ball less and you will be fine DT.

Judging by his performance at the Nines he definitely hasn't laid off the sugar. He was like a hyperactive under 8's player storming out of the line.

DT has always been a favourite of mine. So it has been a little disappointing he has never really reached his full potential, and held it consistently like he mentioned. But with that said, I don't know of a better man that could turn that around for Dave, apart from Neil Henry. If it's going to happen for the big fella it's got to be this year.

Every real rugby league fan loves to see the really big men run hard at the line then line each other and get stuck in ... however, in DT's case he's a 50/50 player ... half the time he's Superman and the other half he wears glasses but even in his mild-mannered persona he never turns it up ... love him to succeed.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Taylor doesn't need to lift any higher than he did last yr. the rest of the team does
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Hmm, you do have a point there, teke. He pretty well damn near carried the team with a few games late in the season

Totally agree teke. Taylor was our best player last year and if the rest of the team played like him, we would win more games. In saying that he definitely needs to stop the silly errors though as he can make a lot of crucial mistakes under pressure.

Still can't believe Falloon won the player of the year. I thought for sure that Taylor had it in the bag.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Totally agree teke. Taylor was our best player last year and if the rest of the team played like him, we would win more games. In saying that he definitely needs to stop the silly errors though as he can make a lot of crucial mistakes under pressure.

Still can't believe Falloon won the player of the year. I thought for sure that Taylor had it in the bag.
    Could it be that Faloon played above his ability and that Dave has so much more potential to be fulfilled? I don't know him but sometimes players with great potential take it easy and awards just reinforce that they are doing enough. There is great improvement still in Dave lets hope he goes to the next level this year.

Being best of a mediocre bunch isn't enough, he needs to aim up and cut out the stupid stuff.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.