Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sacked Gold Coast Titans rising star Paul Carter pleads for second chance in NRL

PETER BADELEXCLUSIVE THE COURIER-MAIL FEBRUARY 08, 2015 11:00PM

AS he prepares to enter rehab to win the battle over booze, sacked Titans star Paul Carter on Sunday pleaded for an NRL lifeline, admitting: “I took it all for granted.”

Breaking a two-month silence with The Courier-Mail, Carter spoke candidly about his struggles with alcohol, his tears and the drink-driving shame that cost him a $250,000 contract.

On Tuesday night Carter will take the first major step towards reformation when he attends a Gold Coast rehabilitation centre to rebuild his life and pick up the pieces of his shattered NRL career.

Just eight weeks ago, the 22-year-old was one of the NRL’s rising stars. Today, he rises at 4am five days a week, earning a basic wage in home insulation after his second drink-driving offence in six months saw his Titans contract torn up.

The daily grind in the workforce is a sobering lesson for Carter, who has been deregistered by the NRL, yet lives in hope he will one day return to the big league.

“I’m missing football big time,” said Carter in his first interview since being axed by the Titans in December.

“I miss the boys and doing something I love. Especially sitting back watching the Auckland Nines. Last year I played in that tournament and this time I missed out because of what happened.

“I started a new job last week and to be honest it’s a shock to the system.

“I start at 5am every day. I’m working long hours putting foil around new houses. It’s hot and sweaty work so this has definitely been a big wake-up call for me.

“Once I sort my life out, hopefully I can get back to rugby league. I hope the NRL can give me another chance, but for the moment I can’t worry about football ... I need to sort myself out.”

Carter may yet return to league this year. He is in talks to play for Burleigh and would require the approval of the Queensland Rugby League to turn out in the Intrust Super Cup.

But his immediate concern is his personal wellbeing and addressing the bouts of alcohol abuse that began in his teens.

Since his latest brush with the law, Carter has sworn off the drink. He has been undergoing counselling and a day course at Currumbin Clinic is the next phase in his recovery.

Carter knows the ravages of alcohol better than most. His father Steve was a member of the Penrith side which mourned the tragic death of Ben Alexander in a drink-driving incident in 1992. Paul Carter was one-month old when Alexander was killed.

“I must admit I took it all for granted,” he said.

“As a young guy, you don’t realise what you can lose. I used to whinge about having to go to training and now I would do anything to be back there.

Paul Carter was one of the NRL’s most promising talents before he was sacked by the Titans.
    “You hear it all the time from the older players. It’s hard, until you grow up it doesn’t always sink in.

“I can say to younger guys don’t take it for granted, don’t do this or that, but I had a lot of people say it to me and I didn’t appreciate it until I lost it all.

“Now I know they were right, but as a young bloke sometimes you learn the hard way.

“It’s really hard. I won’t lie, I’ve broken down a few times, my emotions have got the better of me.

“It wasn’t the pressure of the NRL. I have always battled alcohol-related issues.

“Growing up, when I was in trouble it was because of alcohol, so I need to balance how much to drink and that’s been my battle for a while now.

“I moved out of home at 17 and didn’t have anyone telling me what to do and that was pretty exciting at first. I didn’t have anyone keeping a close eye on me.

“But being in the spotlight of NRL, your problems are more public to everyone.

“I’m off the drink at the moment and I’m taking it day by day.

“My partner and family have been great support for me. I’m staying busy with work and keeping fit. That’s what’s keeping me on track at the moment.”

Carter knew his Titans career was over the second he was stopped by a police officer 10 days before Christmas.

“I knew straight away I’d stuffed up and what the outcome would be,” he said.

“I felt sick the moment I was pulled over. Words can’t explain that moment. I thought, ‘**** what have I done?’. I made stupid decisions and I have to live with that now.

“I knew I would be sacked, I knew it was only a matter of time before it would become public.

“When it sunk in I was sacked, I struggled to handle it, but I was always realistic. It was very confronting, but I have no one else to blame.

“The only person at fault is me, no-one made me put the keys in the car and drive and now I’m the only one who can fix things.”

Carter has seen other stars receive a second or third chance after breaking the law and hopes the NRL integrity unit allow him back into the game.

“Hopefully the NRL let me play again. Whether it’s two months or six or longer I’m not sure,” he said.

“I’m nervous about going into rehab. I’m a bit out of my comfort zone but I want to give myself the best opportunity to make better decisions with alcohol.

“This is a storm I have to get through and when I get through it, I want to learn from it.

“I hope down the track the door is open for me at the Titans and I can be back ... we’ll wait and see I guess.”

- - - Updated - - -

I hope he gets back on track & he has been back in training for the Bears for the past couple of weeks so thats a plus
    #itaintweaktospeak

Good to see he is fronting up. Reading that I get the feeling he is starting to realize what he has cost himself. Hopefully he can get his s**t together and come back to the Titans.
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

yeah i like some of his comments. they seemed more than just 'saying what people want to here'.

I read elsewhere that Bird is rumoured to be pissed about captaincy and may leave...Carter would be a nice replacement and free some coin up if he continues to rebuild his life this year.

I'll be the odd one out here 'n suggest he's got a lot of work ahead of him even before he tries to get back into the NRL comp. The drinking and self-discipline (on and off the paddock) seem to be at least two areas he might need to work on, and then a good length of time to prove that he has indeed changed. In the mean time.. talk is cheap.

Yep, I'm pleased he eventually took ownership of his actions but I agree Balls he must just work through his rehab and demonstrate the changes … good luck to him.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    “I started a new job last week and to be honest it’s a shock to the system.

“I start at 5am every day. I’m working long hours putting foil around new houses. It’s hot and sweaty work so this has definitely been a big wake-up call for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I'll be the odd one out here 'n suggest he's got a lot of work ahead of him even before he tries to get back into the NRL comp. The drinking and self-discipline (on and off the paddock) seem to be at least two areas he might need to work on, and then a good length of time to prove that he has indeed changed. In the mean time.. talk is cheap.
    Agreed Toads, he has been working for a week and now is all repentant.
    He needs to spend the year at least working every day and demonstrate that he can stay sober and turn up every day in a fit state to work.
    I wouldn't have an issue with him playing Q Cup this year but he can't be allowed to sign an NRL contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I wasn't suggesting he should be coming back straight away. Maybe I worded my post poorly, I agree he still has a way to go before he should be allowed back.
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Not to worry, Geeman. I didn't base my post on what anyone said in this thread (or another). Just putting my take on it, It's just Carter should've cottoned on with what's to be expected with the first DUI. But as we now know he didn't take it onboard.

It's a pity, because it's not his lack of ability or injury that's keeping him off the paddock (in the NRL).

UPDATE ON THE FUTURE OF PAUL CARTER | RLW

PAUL Carter is making every effort to return to the NRL as he slaves away in sweltering Queensland roofs as an insulator for his day job.

The Titans sacked the 22-year-old after he was caught drink driving for a second time last year. But he is showing great character and commitment in his determination to make amends.

Carter is undergoing four or five weeks of counselling and is training with the Burleigh Bears.

He is not resting on his laurels during the day and is working 10-hour shifts insulating roofs on the Gold Coast.

Paul’s father Steve, a premiership winner with Penrith, says his son is making every effort to get his life together.

“He is getting a dose of reality, which should sort him out,” Steve says.

“You’ve got to take positives out of it.

“He’ll get another opportunity but he has just got to bide his time, get through the next four or five months and do the right thing.”

There is no word yet on which clubs are sniffing around Carter but the versatile forward will no doubt be a valuable addition to any side.

I spoke to Paul earlier this week when I bumped into him & he has definitely changed his way of thinking about life I even offered to buy him a beer but he said he's given up the drink all together but I still had one

He's looking very fit & training very hard in the gym & with Burleigh but he can't play as yet because the NRL haven't given him the release required to play but watch out when he does he will be a very tough one to handle
    #itaintweaktospeak

I hope you used that opportunity to drill the ole "controlled aggression" lecture into him, Pete. Could use him when the Birdman flies the coop.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Good to see he is doing the hard yards. Hope he stay's the course as he will hopefully come back a better player as a result.

if he wants to redeem himself here that shows he has taken the responsibility for himself.

someone blaming others and just saying all the right things to get re instated would hold a grudge against us and want to play elsewhere.

How strong of a chance is Bird of leaving the Titans? I keep hearing some rumbles..possibly if Bird leaves, this frees up some space for Paul Carter and couple of other players? 2015 is a rebuilding year. 2016, we will be top contenders. Roberts, Hoffman, Mead, Cherry Evans, Elgey, Carter etc. It could be a very bright future for the Titans.

Word.

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonbcode View Post
    How strong of a chance is Bird of leaving the Titans? I keep hearing some rumbles..possibly if Bird leaves, this frees up some space for Paul Carter and couple of other players? 2015 is a rebuilding year. 2016, we will be top contenders. Roberts, Hoffman, Mead, Cherry Evans, Elgey, Carter etc. It could be a very bright future for the Titans.

Word.

Haha
    i think Carter is a ready made replacement for Bird. Taylor, Carter in second row, James back to the middle where he belongs.