Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hala shapes as Titans solution

Hala shapes as Titans solution
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    6:59am Sun 08th February, 2015

New recruit Dave Hala shapes as the major beneficiary of a reshuffled Titans forward pack after lock Ben Ridge suffered a suspected ruptured pectoral injury in Saturday night's trial win over the Warriors in Toowoomba.

Ridge will have scans on Monday to determine the extent of the injury, but if it is anything like the setback he suffered in 2013 he is looking at between three to four months on the sidelines.

With Gold Coast coach Neil Henry toying with the idea of using Ryan James as an edge forward, the loss of Ridge raises the prospect of captain Nate Myles moving from the front row to lock, opening the way for Hala to finally establish himself as an NRL regular.

His first outing for the Titans having joined from the Broncos in the off-season didn't go all according to plan with Hala needing several stitches on the inside of his mouth after copping a stray elbow from one of his teammates in the first half.

The blow effectively brought an end to the big prop forward's night but he was hopeful that he did enough to prove to his fellow Titans that he can be a valuable contributor in 2015.

"I was just trying to prove a point to the boys and to Neil that I can get the job done and it started tonight," Hala told NRL.com despite his obvious discomfort.

"I felt great out there until I obviously copped that elbow but other than that I felt fine and had a couple of good carries and a couple of good tackles.

"I just want to push out the minutes and prove to the coach that I can punch those minutes out and start for the team and if not starting, come off the bench and punch out that 20 minutes.

"I'm pretty happy for tonight but [there is] still a lot to work on."

Myles, Greg Bird, Luke Douglas and Dave Taylor are all expected to return for the Titans' final trial match against the Cowboys in Cairns on February 21 but Henry said he was pleased with what he saw from Hala with limited time in the 22-12 victory.

"I thought he had a couple of strong carries. He only knows one way to run, he just charges at it and I was pretty happy with him," Henry said.

"He was disappointed [not to come back on], he thought he'd be able to get back out there but he was bleeding a fair bit inside the mouth and was pretty uncomfortable.

"He might have a hit-out next week but you could see that he's trimmed up and his leg speed is good so hopefully he'll have a big season."

Jai Ingram, Agnatius Paasi, Damian Sironen and Leva Li were all hoping to do enough in Saturday's trial to earn full-time contracts at the Titans with Ingram and Li looking as the likely pair to get the nod.

Despite a shaky start the Titans managed to keep the Warriors scoreless in the second half and Hala said the competition for spots in the team for Round 1 is helping to bring the forward pack together as a unit.

"We're working hard for each other. On and off the field we're all good mates and we know there is only four or five spots in the team and we're just going to keep pushing each other and whoever Neil wants to select, that's who he'll go with," he said.

The Titans have a strong representation in this week's All Stars fixture with Josh Hoffman, Ryan James, Greg Bird, Kierran Moseley and Brad Tighe lining up for the Indigenous All Stars and Dave Taylor the NRL All Stars.

Bird has been troubled by knee and foot injuries in recent weeks but remains desperate to take his place in the Indigenous All Stars team.

Interdasting. Team for next trial will reveal a lot.

Webeck said in his initial article that Paasi did the most to press his claims for a contract. Now its Ingram and Li. Doesnt help much on that front haha.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Interdasting. Team for next trial will reveal a lot.

Webeck said in his initial article that Paasi did the most to press his claims for a contract. Now its Ingram and Li. Doesnt help much on that front haha.
    Lol or he has no idea what he's talking about?

im ok with Myles playing the gallen role from 13. gives players with more urgency first crack at the 1st and 2nd hit up.

In a highly functioning team, your 13 would be a more skillful player, but we dont have that luxury as yet.

devo'd for Ridge. poor bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    im ok with Myles playing the gallen role from 13. gives players with more urgency first crack at the 1st and 2nd hit up.

In a highly functioning team, your 13 would be a more skillful player, but we dont have that luxury as yet.

devo'd for Ridge. poor bloke.
    Very disappointed about Ridge & his injury run I fear that this may be close to the end for his Titans career if the injury is as bad as expected..

I'm happy for Myles to play 13 if he puts in like he does in SOO but I also think Robinson has the potential to be a great lock too, more trials more dilemma's for King
    #itaintweaktospeak

Created more questions than answers ... and can anybody really see James as an edge forward?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Created more questions than answers ... and can anybody really see James as an edge forward?
    Not unless he's gone to school to learn how to be one
    #batteringram
    #itaintweaktospeak

Bird should be the lock and I can see James on the edge cause he does have a instinct to pass the ball on when necessary
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Bird should be the lock and I can see James on the edge cause he does have a instinct to pass the ball on when necessary
    James use to play 80mins in the 20s and make 40 plus tackles a game, he had Cartwright try to coach that out of him, but he's certainly not a battering ram. Will be a leader of the pack this year.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan1980 View Post
    James use to play 80mins in the 20s and make 40 plus tackles a game, he had Cartwright try to coach that out of him, but he's certainly not a battering ram. Will be a leader of the pack this year.

I tend to agree titanfan1980. A lot has been said about the halves dilemma and the observations are 100% spot on. However if Ryanno fires this year we will see a titans pack that warrants respect in the NRL. You only have to go back to season 2013 second last game against the Roosters. Not many players/teams have really ever got under Sunny-Bills skin, however Ryanno did an excellent job on him leading to the verbal exchange at half time. As a matter of fact the whole Titans pack followed suit and had the Roosters pack going backward in the second half. If Ryanno can stay healthy it might just be a good year for us.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan1980 View Post
    I hope so and it would be great to see him get a full year in injury free. He has only played 29 games over the last three seasons for us and he needs this to be his year (like a few others).

He'd want to loose all that crap that has crept into his game and I also hope he can wind back the clock a couple of seasons but he has the turning circle of the Titanic and mid-field beckons, imho.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

i can see Ryan punching good lines on the edge. in and out lines isolating defenders, and i think he has more talent than just a prop.

Whether he does or not, it might be too much of a departure from whats expected for Henry to worry about. bigger fish if you know what im saying.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i can see Ryan punching good lines on the edge. in and out lines isolating defenders, and i think he has more talent than just a prop.

Whether he does or not, it might be too much of a departure from whats expected for Henry to worry about. bigger fish if you know what im saying.
    Ryan has promised plenty in his short career but injuries have made light tough , I'm hoping he's matured enough to realize you don't have to be a grub all the time & playing hard & smart footy is the way to go, he's in my 17 for round 1..
    #itaintweaktospeak

His agility is the big question mark for me. He has the speed but is he going to be able to change directions on a Joel Thompson or Mitch Aubusson? On the other hand they've got to stop him without a lot of help. The Ingram v Passi debate may well go a long way to answering that question.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!