Page 18 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    If this signing comes off it is a red letter day for the Titans. Fans should be shouting from the rooftops in celebration at perhaps our most significant signing. It is for Manly fans to question DCE's integrity if they feel he has acted badly, not ours. All the guy has done is allow himself to be guided in his financial future by a professional Manager who himself is only operating within the system allowed by the NRL. If that system is flawed save your vitriol for the governing body.

I don't want our delight at DCE's arrival at this club to be tarnished by questions over his decency and I don't think Titan's fans should allow themselves to be sucked in to that debate. The prodigal son is returning to Queensland and we should welcome him with unequivocally open arms...and I'm a NSWelshman!
    IMO, DCE is no Thurston, but he's still top shelf.

I personally don't care what DCE gets paid. If he brings success to the titans, it is money well spent.

Surely an announcement is made prior to Kick-off today.

The way i see it is that Manly withdrawing their offer could be just a hurry up to DCE. It seems that there is a strong chance of DCE resigning with Manly in Tooveys mind.....That said if the offer is truly off then my thought would be that DCE will go to Sharks. While the offer for the Sharks is about $500k lower over the 3 years in real terms its only $245K after tax over three years ( Approx )..... So it would only mean an extra $80k ( Approx ) per annum and he has to move his whole family.....Shark option would win because it would mean that he would not have to move....
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Junior

"So it would only mean an extra $80k ( Approx ) per annum"...Pah! Small change.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by nimud View Post
    IMO, DCE is no Thurston, but he's still top shelf.

I personally don't care what DCE gets paid. If he brings success to the titans, it is money well spent.

Surely an announcement is made prior to Kick-off today.
    If there was going to be a presser it would have been announced by now, so I don't think we won't hear anything till Monday at the earliest.

IMO we are being played by DCE so I would pull our offer. plenty of other players that would like to come to the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    The way i see it is that Manly withdrawing their offer could be just a hurry up to DCE. It seems that there is a strong chance of DCE resigning with Manly in Tooveys mind.....That said if the offer is truly off then my thought would be that DCE will go to Sharks. While the offer for the Sharks is about $500k lower over the 3 years in real terms its only $245K after tax over three years ( Approx )..... So it would only mean an extra $80k ( Approx ) per annum and he has to move his whole family.....Shark option would win because it would mean that he would not have to move....
    How do you know he's not negative gearing property, trust me these guys managers are no joke.. These days managers don't just help you get paid big they help you get as much of it as you can without to much tax because they make more out of it to. A lot of people signed with Gavin Orr have several property's.. He's a smart man

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan1980 View Post
    How do you know he's not negative gearing property, trust me these guys managers are no joke.. These days managers don't just help you get paid big they help you get as much of it as you can without to much tax because they make more out of it to. A lot of people signed with Gavin Orr have several property's.. He's a smart man
    Mate you could be right but I was just looking at it without too many assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Manly dropped the ball allowing both Foran and DCE to come off contract at the same time. Not good not good
    Thanks Mickey Ennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    I'm hearing thst figure is closer than $750k.
    A huge fan of the Bulldogs but first and foremost an fan of the game and the game needs the Gold Coast Titans!

Daly Cherry-Evans could be days away from signing with Titans, but Sharks circling for star’s signature
    PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL MARCH 06, 2015 12:00AM SHARE

DALY Cherry-Evans could be days away from signing a $3 million deal with the Titans after Manly hierarchy warned there is no guarantee they will resume talks with the Maroons ace.

The Cherry-Evans affair took another twist on Thursday night with Cronulla ready to trump the Titans by increasing their offer to $1.1m a season to prise him from Brookvale.

But Gold Coast remain in the hunt, with Cherry-Evans’ wife, Vessa, understood to have contacted partners of Titans players to discuss housing options on the holiday strip.

Either way, there is turbulence at Manly. Sea Eagles CEO Joe Kelly on Thursday night defended suggestions the club is guilty of double standards for imposing a deadline on Cherry-Evans while giving their other off-contract star, Kieran Foran, time to decide his future.

On the eve of Manly’s season-opener against Parramatta tonight, Kelly detailed exact reasons for the club’s shock decision to pull their $2.55 million offer to Cherry-Evans.

Kelly told The Courier-Mail Manly may potentially resume talks “down the track”, but by then Cherry-Evans could end the three-month saga himself by signing with the Titans or Cronulla.

It is understood Cherry-Evans will make a call over the weekend after Friday night’s clash at Pirtek Stadium. And with no offer from Manly currently on the table, the Titans are the front-runners to pull off the biggest signing in the club’s eventful eight-year history.

The 26-year-old’s future at Manly appears untenable. Privately, Sea Eagles identities are seething at Cherry-Evans’ public negotiations and Kelly said Manly had to act, claiming club bosses even increased their offer to placate him.

“It wasn’t the way we wanted to see it play out,” Kelly said.

“It is unfortunate and disappointing these private negotiations have been made public, including this situation (Cherry-Evans’ Manly deal being withdrawn).

“In the case of Daly’s offer, it has been sitting there for six weeks now. We revised and upgraded that figure and still we’ve been waiting and waiting.

“The negotiation with Daly has become protracted and very public, and we saw no resolution in sight. We placed a deadline of midday last Monday, but that date had passed and there was no response within 24 hours after that.

“In my correspondence (to Cherry-Evans’ management), I’ve said once the team is into the rhythm of the season, there may be an opportunity to start fresh discussions.

“We have a huge game (tonight), it’s time to put the team first and focus solely on our preparations.”

Foran is tipped to join Parramatta, a scenario that could see Manly decimated by the loss of both their Test halves, but Kelly defended the move to impose a timeframe on Cherry-Evans.

“This is a different situation (to Foran’s),” he said.

“The contract discussions and where we’re at with Daly are totally different, I’m not going to elaborate on the other one (Foran).

“We have put two equal offers to them and we believe they are competitive offers in the marketplace.

“Kieran hasn’t announced anything. We want to move away from talking contracts and focus on football, this has been a distraction we didn’t create and our intentions were to remove such distractions.”

Kelly accepts the Sea Eagles face a major threat from the Titans, whose club record $1m-a-season deal is the most lucrative offer for Cherry-Evans.

“I’ve heard of the reported offer from the Titans but we believe we have put a good offer to Daly,” he said.

“There is going to be other interest for a player of his quality. I’m aware of him meeting other clubs so the Titans would be in the picture, but they may not be the only other club.”
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Geeze it'd be such a coup!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Crawley Files: Daly Cherry-Evans could take some lessons from Kieran Foran on the way to deal with negotiations

Paul Crawley The Daily Telegraph March 06, 2015 12:00AM

DALY Cherry-Evans is so popular at Manly that it’s rumoured someone gave him a new nickname over the summer — Yoko Ono — as in the person who broke up The Beatles.

That was before Cherry-Evans was even snapped heading to Cronulla with his partner Vessa and manager Gavin Orr to talk about his future, less than two weeks before Friday’s opening round grudge match against Parramatta.

Exactly a week before that Cherry-Evans checked himself out of the Gold Coast after a similar whirlwind romance.

What will be interesting to see is the reception the star halfback gets when he runs onto the field.

Not just from his own players, but fans from both clubs.

SHARKS OR TITANS? MANLY DITCH DCE OFFER

MANLY WON’T BE TREATED LIKE MUGS BY DCE

It was only a year ago Cherry-Evans was being talked up as the man most likely to replace Cameron Smith as the next Queensland and Australian captain.

Today it seems the entire rugby league world has turned against him in his chase for money.

Now Cherry-Evans has to win them back, starting with his football.

In the wake of Manly’s decision to take their offer off the table on Wednesday, social media went into meltdown with overwhelming support for Manly management for showing the guts to cut Cherry-Evans loose out of respect for their club.

Even fans from his most likely destinations at Cronulla and the Gold Coast were in uproar over the shameless way he has publicly gone about his business.

You are entitled to wonder just how much damage this has done to Cherry-Evans’ long-term reputation, and whether he will be a happy man when he finally gets the chance to sit down to count his millions.

What also makes his predicament even worse is the way some of the other players in this ongoing soap opera have handled themselves throughout a process that gets uglier by the day.

Kieran Foran has played it out like the man his teammates say he is.

His management are adamant that it was never about money, but trying to make sure his decision was based on what club could make him the best footballer.

It’s understood he had questions about where Manly was heading, but he always showed respect to the club that gave him his start.

They say he even refused to talk money with rivals clubs until he made a decision either way on whether he was staying or going, and he was filthy when it was leaked he’d decided on Parramatta.

But while Cherry-Evans released a statement saying he would shortly make a decision on his decision after completing “due diligence”, Foran didn’t say a word publicly.

Privately, those close to him say he has been living in a world of hurt, which was most evident at the Manly season launch when Foran stood on stage looking completely embarrassed by the attention.

The fact Manly have not withdrawn their offer for Foran, like they did with Cherry-Evans, also highlights a significant difference in the way they have both gone about their negotiations.

And while Anthony Watmough has had plenty to say since leaving Manly, the interview he did with Channel Nine on Monday night was telling.

It suggested Watmough had thought again about showing more respect to the club that helped get him where he is today.

Not just in league, but in life.

The word is Parramatta coach Brad Arthur put him straight on that.

No one will ever truly know the bitterness brothers Brett and Glenn Stewart must have felt after Glenn was basically overlooked for a new contract so Manly could save enough money to try and keep Cherry-Evans. But the way Brett and Glenn have gone about their parting is probably the best insight into their character.

Glenn moved on with dignity and class.

Meanwhile, Brett stayed at Manly and you can bet he will continue to be a matchwinner, saving his best for the biggest and toughest games like Friday’s.

Which takes us back to Cherry-Evans, a fine footballer, but what does the future now hold?

While he has been largely blamed for this circus, I’m betting it wasn’t Cherry-Evans who called Fox Sports News on his way to Cronulla recently to get the “money shot” of him and his partner meeting the Sharks.

So who was responsible for leaking that info, and has Cherry-Evans been given the best advice along the way? These are questions Cherry-Evans should be asking as he looks to answer how to fix this mess.

And in reference to the Yoko Ono nickname, it’s probably worth noting that only a couple of years back ex-Beatle Paul McCartney finally buried his rift with John Lennon’s partner when he said in an interview that “she certainly didn’t break the group up, the group was breaking up”. But that took the best part of 50 years for McCartney to admit.

Manly don’t have half a century to get over this with their new season kicking off on Friday.

Cherry-Evans’ long-term reputation can still be saved — but how he handles himself from this point on will decide that.

On and off the field.

Daly Cherry-Evans leaves Cronulla Leagues Club with his partner Vess Rockliff after talks of signing a new NRL contract. Pic Brett Costello

WHAT’S FINE

SO let’s get this right.

Wayne Bennett doesn’t get fined for saying he has “lost confidence” in the NRL integrity unit. But last year Paul Green was fined $10,000 for saying “we have no faith” in the NRL’s judiciary system.

While the two bodies are separate within the game, we are all entitled to wonder if Bennett’s standing was the reason he escaped sanction. Or was it just commonsense by the NRL on this occasion?

Which brings us to this ridiculous new rule forbidding coaches from criticising referees.

While everyone respects how tough a referee’s job is, and that they can’t always get every decision right, why should refs be exempt from criticism when players and coaches aren’t?

On top of that, coaches blowing up often makes for great entertainment, and isn’t that what the game is about these days?

Imagine if we were never treated with Geoff Toovey’s “there needs to be an investigation” line. Was that bad for the game, or just great theatre. And, more importantly, was it an honest assessment?

Sure, sometimes some coaches do use referees as a way of taking the heat off themselves or their players, but fans are intelligent enough to spot when this is occurring.

Maybe that’s when the punishment should be handed out. Maybe the NRL should look back at what Bennett said this week to understand fair criticism should not always be penalised.

THEY SAID IT

“We have been negotiating (with Cherry-Evans’ management) for more than three months. The club set a deadline of midday Monday for an answer to our offer. There was no response so the offer has been withdrawn.” Manly chief executive Joe Kelly.

“I haven’t spoken about deadlines. I am sure it will once Cherry-Evans is ready to make a decision. We’re confident of retaining both halves. We’ll work as hard as we can to make sure they both sign.” Geoff Toovey seemingly in the dark over the decision.

“I have lost total confidence in them. I won’t go into detail but you can’t come out one day with a statement and the same day you rescind the statement in regards to telephones, laptops and god knows what else. By the end of the day, they’ve changed their mind again.” Wayne Bennett gets heavy on the NRL integrity unit.

“One thing I have always said was that I will not get involved in rumours or innuendo. I don’t want to sound like a smart-****. But all I want you to do is say that I am committed to the Parramatta football team and I am committed to the playing group right now.” Brad Arthur break his silence on rumours Manly want him back.

“Ultimately what I want to do is have a great experience myself and make sure all the fans that pay their hard-earned money have a great experience. And I think you do have a greater experience if you are in a packed stadium, whatever that size is, and there is lots of atmosphere.” NRL boss Dave Smith stirs a hornet’s nest over what to do with the promised $600m in state government stadium funding.

Source: foxsports.com.au
    Last edited by Toads; 06-03-15 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanterburyMember View Post
    Thanks Mickey Ennis.

I'm hearing thst figure is closer than $750k.
    You must have heard that - because I was watching the same TV show!
    It's now 18 pages all about DCE "will he or wont he". I am over it. What more can be said. Just make up your friggin mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    You must have heard that - because I was watching the same TV show!
    It's now 18 pages all about DCE "will he or wont he". I am over it. What more can be said. Just make up your friggin mind.
    your doing it wrong

The Mole ‏@RLW_Mole
    BREAKING: Cherry-Evans all but a done deal... with.... @GCTitans
    Unless there is another backflip - announcement next week, peeps.

Please be true.

@ReadingThePlay: @ReadBTheLines

Was told by very good source last night DCE is going to Titans. Seems similar mail around today. #nrl