Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Default Daly Cherry-Evans was kind of but not really a Titan!

The Titans are expected to table a club record $3 million deal for Daly Cherry-Evans

PETER BADEL EXCLUSIVE
    THE COURIER-MAIL
    FEBRUARY 04, 2015 12:00AM

GOLD Coast have upped the ante in the battle for Daly Cherry-Evans with the Titans to formally table a club record $3 million deal for the Queensland Origin star.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Titans board have given approval for the club’s recruitment arm to pull off Gold Coast rugby league’s biggest signing since Wally Lewis joined the Seagulls 23 years ago.

The Titans have had Cherry-Evans on their radar since November and registered interest last week when club staffers, including coach Neil Henry, met the halfback at a Sydney restaurant.

Now the Titans are ramping up their poaching raid, with the club to make a formal offer this week in a multi million-dollar move that will test Cherry-Evans’ commitment to Manly.

Scott Prince was the Titans’ first marquee signing, with the former Test halfback signing a four-year, $1.6m deal to spearhead the club’s entry to the NRL in 2007.

But Cherry-Evans stands to pocket more than double Prince’s annual salary as Titans powerbrokers put together a three-year package worth at least $950,000 a season.

Parramatta and Cronulla are other clubs interested in Cherry-Evans, but it is understood if the Maroons ace leaves Manly at season’s end, his preferred destination is the Titans.

The acquisition of Cherry-Evans would be a huge promotional coup for a Titans club craving sponsors and a feel-good story following the $25m debt crisis that nearly bankrupted the club.

The Titans board are aware of Cherry-Evans’ star power and have given the green light for the club to make the 25-year-old one of the NRL’s highest-paid players.

Henry said last night the Titans had yet to table a formal offer for Cherry-Evans but the coach is determined to have the classy playmaker on his roster in 2016.

“We’ve had no formal negotiations at this stage but certainly we’d be interested in a player of his calibre,” he said.

“Firstly, Daly has great leadership qualities, he is a current representative player with Queensland and Australia and he’s from Queensland, so his family are up this way.

“There is that lifestyle fit and also he is a marquee player in a key position. We can only see where we get to when we work out whether we can table an offer and then his management have to work out where they want to go.

“We haven’t put a deadline on things, we’re having a look at what we have on our books. But when a guy like Daly or Kieran Foran (Manly teammate) comes along, a lot of clubs would be looking at those two players.”

Cherry-Evans’ manager Gavin Orr is anticipating an offer from the Titans in coming days after informal discussions at Grappa restaurant in Leichhardt last week.

“Daly went through a list of clubs that he was genuinely interested in and the Titans are one of those,” he said.

“The appeal of the Titans comes down to the right fit.

“Neil Henry would love to have a player of his quality, we’ve had plenty of talks with the Titans but we’re waiting on a formal offer.

“They’ve told me they are formulating an offer so we’ll wait for them to make the next move and go from there.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227206963179

- - - Updated - - -

This Saga is worthy of its own thread. Did Badel just say that we are favourites for DCE if he leaves Manly..?

Sign Daly Cherry-Evans and watch the sponsors line up to sponsor the Titans!

Will 950k/season be realistically enough? It seems like 1mil is the base amount most other clubs are offering..

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    [SIZE=5- - - Updated - - -

This Saga is worthy of its own thread. Did Badel just say that we are favourites for DCE if he leaves Manly..?
    And it is a big IF.
    I think it's pathetic that we are talking about players and their clubs in 2016 when we haven't even played a game in 2015 yet, but the NRL seems to keep wanting to accept this situation. It's also disturbing when Manly has never been a club to poach other clubs players.
    For the Titans sake I hope this is not yet another case of a Manager just trying to bleed another few grand out of a players existing club. IF he comes here it would be massive for the club and as Hammer said, the sponsors would be lining up. DCE would almost pay for himself with the sponsorship money he would attract. For a start we would get a jersey sponsor and there's $600-800k for a start. We might even get one this year if a company wanted to get on early to ensure sponsorship for 2016.
    Somehow I don't think DCE for Sezer is an even swap!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Will 950k/season be realistically enough? It seems like 1mil is the base amount most other clubs are offering..
    I reckon there would be third party top ups that would take him well above 950k.

Somehow I don't think DCE for Sezer is an even swap

We'll throw in Zillman and Motimer if that helps.

Fairs fair, contract negotiations need to happen throughout the year. These guys would probably like to know whats happening more than just year to year and it lets them concentrate on their footy rather than worrying about a contract. Only thing is we have seen these headlines before when we tried to lure Cam Smith up here. I'll be truly relieved when he runs down the tunnel.

Junior

MT your just worried that the Titans are close to getting there man and your avatar tells me your more then a little bias on this subject.

$3M over 3 years will not be enough to get his signature. Would need to be closer to $4M.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    MT your just worried that the Titans are close to getting there man and your avatar tells me your more then a little bias on this subject.
    Correct TitansFan92, I am more than a little biased on the subject.
    There will be severe blood letting at Manly if DCE leaves as we let Glenn Stewart supposedly go so DCE could be resigned. The Board room issues have largely been solved but there are definite rumblings about Toovey, so it might be a good time to strike.
    My anger at DCE leaving Manly would be lessened a lot if he ends up here. Him joining the Titans would be massive for the club and the area as a whole. He is from Qld, is a nice bloke, relates great to kids and speaks well.

I guess our offer could be the starting bid for DCE. I would not be surprised to see our figure go up. Does anyone know where exactly his dad / family live as one news article suggested here on the GC??
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I am gunna guess and say his family live north of Brisbane. He used to play for the Sunshine Coast mob...the ex feeder club for Manly, I think that is how they found him. His dad used to play for Redcliffe so I can only assume from up around there.

Manly will poach Elgey if they lose DCE and turn him into an instant star and premiership winning player.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    I guess our offer could be the starting bid for DCE. I would not be surprised to see our figure go up. Does anyone know where exactly his dad / family live as one news article suggested here on the GC??
    I am thinking the 1 million would be the base and there would be 3rd Party deals on top. I know if my business was on the GC I would personally chuck 50k - 100k a year to get DCE to the club.

If we did get DCE to put pen to paper. It'd be a ****in' challenge for Searle to not poke his head out. It'd be a too big of a spectacle for him to miss out on.

I will play devil's advocate here and wonder if we are too worried about how much attention has been put into the flow-on effect to our emerging halves?

DCE is an NRL tried and proven star while Elgey, Hazard, Fogarty, even Sezer and all those who may or may not come after, are still wannabes at this stage. So the problem is keeping them interested. In fact, for 2015 they should be really interested ... if only to promote themselves.

Pay him overs if necessary but make sure we have the cash to ensure that we can implement a secession plan.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

how are we going to find a third party sponsor when we dont have any FIRST party sponsors for our jersey. Surely anyone who would stump up 300k for him and not be recognised for it really, would already be spending 300k to get their name on our jersey?