Default Former Gold Coast Titans coach to take up post with Townsville’s Cowboys

Former Gold Coast Titans coach to take up post with Townsville’s Cowboys

NEALE GUNDY Gold Coast Bulletin February 02, 2015 3:07PM

FORMER Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright will be announced this afternoon as an assistant coach with the North Queensland Cowboys.

Cowboys coach Paul Green has confirmed Cartwright, 49, is to join the Townsville-based club on what is understood to be a one-year deal.

TITANS CALLED UP TO ALL STARS

“Being a head coach for as long as he was at the Titans, he’ll be a great addition for us,” Green said.

“He was a great player in his own right but he’s also a really good person and that’s important.

“He’ll be a really good fit for us, great for our young blokes.

“He just rounds off our coaching team really well.”

Having coached the Titans since their first season in the NRL in 2007 Cartwright stepped down in August last year after the club had failed to reach the finals in four years and with their 2014 campaign teetering as a result of a string of injuries.

Source: goldcoastbulletin.com.au

- - - Updated - - -

Probably about the biggest stuff up the Cowboys have made in recent years..

Haha my mate Goatus is going to be stoked...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior

Default Cartwright joins Cowboys as assistant

The North Queensland Cowboys have signed John Cartwright to a one-year contract to join their coaching staff as an NRL assistant coach.

The foundation head coach at the Gold Coast Titans checked out Cowboys HQ on Monday afternoon and will officially start work with his new club on Tuesday.

An outstanding ball-playing back-rower, Cartwright played 188 first grade matches for Penrith, playing in two grand finals, as well as 18 Test matches for Australia and eight State of Origin games for New South Wales before venturing into coaching.

He had three seasons as assistant coach of the Sydney Roosters before linking with the Titans as head coach when they entered the NRL in 2007.

He was in charge of the Coast for almost 200 games until last year and also took on roles as assistant coach of the Kangaroos (2008) and New South Wales Blues (2004, 2011), and as coach of the City Origin squad (2009-10).

"There’s no doubt John brings an outstanding coaching resume to the Cowboys," general manager – football Peter Parr said.

"His arrival is a huge boost for our club and gives us an outstanding coaching staff to take into the coming season."

Sorry timor 2 this is not Titans related & belongs under Rugby League
    #itaintweaktospeak

"There will always be a place for John at the Titans" and "I will always be a Titan at heart" ... lolololol ... took him a long time to find a job and I hope he is not still on our payroll.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Why Cowboys. Why. Hey do they need a fullback?!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I admire your sarcasm, Diehard. But I'd be a blubberin' mess if it come to fruition.

It's not because I'd miss the golden child here, it'd be what he'd do to my other team. As it is, this current news is bad enough.

Off topic: I've been pondering lately to whether to hit you Admins/Mods up for a name change. Because I'm a Titans and Cowboys fan, the nick of 'Udders' seems more appropriate.
    Last edited by Toads; 02-02-15 at 06:09 PM.

Geez mate, surely 'Balls' would be more appropriate or 'Prairie Oysters' at least.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

i had no problem with Cartwright until he overstayed his welcome as the head coach role evolved past his abilities.

I ALWAYs thought his type of man management and fatherly nurturing / loyal support of players would be well suited to some sort of assistant coach / man manager role. the minute details of modern professional league are just a bit past him now.

wish him all the best, as he was generally a good guy with good character. no point being bitter now, but if he could sway Greenie to take Zillman...im ok with that.

Nothing personal but I am glad he will not be hanging around the Titans this year. Best for all concerned if he cut all ties.
    I like Peter Parr's quote above "There’s no doubt John brings an outstanding coaching resume to the Cowboys," general manager – football Peter Parr said.
    Really.

Hopefully he is given the chance to really dig in and shake the place up

All the best to him...He was a nice man and being 'assistant' I think will be great for him and the team.

..........and I hope that frees up a few dollars. I think he had 2 years left on his contract yet the Cowboys contract is only 1 year. I am guessing here but I reckin' he has been selfless and dropped some serious dollars.

We may of had to pay some money for him to go but goodluck to him. Just need Searle to sell his part of the club and the cleansing is complete.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady