Default Cronk Questions NRL Schedule

MELBOURNE Storm and Australian halfback Cooper Cronk has again raised the issue of player burnout pointing to the amount of footy in the current jam packed NRL season.

The Queensland Origin star is called upon to play from the trials in February to the end of season Kangaroo tours in November, leaving little time to rest his aging body.

Cronk feels the need for the schedule to be revised in order to improve the quality of the spectacle and prolong players careers.

“You are never going to have a player give excuses, but the NRL calender is chock-a-block in terms of games and then you add the rep games as well so it’s a full schedule,” the 31-year-old said on Wednesday.

“In saying that, I’m very fortunate that I play rugby league the game I loved growing up and get the opportunity to each and every week.

“But if we are serious about looking at things and how to make the game better for the viewing audience, then I think things have to change in that regard because you will not get guys coming through at the age of 18, 19, 20 having 10, 14, 15 year careers.”

Cronk fears the players with longevity in the game will become a thing of the past if the amount of football in the calendar isn’t restructured.

“We want to see guys like Darren Lockyer and these guys breaking all the records and at the moment with the way it is shifting I think things have to change for that to be possible.

“Going forward I think the brains of this game need to work out what is the best situation for the game not only for the players but the game itself to prosper and get the audience it deserves.

“When that time comes I’m sure there will be people in place to sit down and structure the season the way it should be.”
    #itaintweaktospeak

Well the Nines replaces a trial.

I think the way forward is to reduce the NRL's Premiership rounds.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER