Default Why Josh Hoffman chose the Titans

Joel Gould | RLW.com.au | January 24, 2015

SOMETIMES you get what you want and what you need.

In Josh Hoffman’s case, his new three-year deal at the Gold Coast Titans is exactly that.

It means he can continue his already superb career and stay living in his Brisbane residence with wife Emma and young daughter Leilani Grace.

When Broncos coach Wayne Bennett told Hoffman he was free to negotiate with other clubs a year out from his contract ending with Brisbane, the 26-year-old fullback was hoping the Titans would become his new home. The Kiwi international says the Raiders were one other club that was keen, but the Titans offered what was best for him on and off the field

“I was always hoping that the Gold Coast would come forward with an offer,” Hoffman says.

“Still being able to live in Brisbane and based here with my young family is very comforting, but I am very excited to be working with this club and this great bunch of players.

“I am looking forward to being a part of it, and it is really going to develop me as a footy player as well.

“It was great to hear from (coach) Neil Henry personally, and where he saw me in his plans.

“It has all worked out for the best and I can see myself staying here for the rest of my career.”

Hoffman has won plenty of admirers for the way he handled missing out on playing fullback at the Broncos for most of the past two seasons. After a stellar year in the No.1 jersey in 2010 he was named the Broncos player of the year. In 2012 he made his Test debut for New Zealand at fullback and had another strong season at the back.

But in both 2013 and 2014 he missed out on the fullback gig to Corey Norman and Ben Barba respectively.

Hoffman sought a release to go to the Bulldogs before the 2014 season but was knocked back.

The uncertainty over his future at Brisbane was always in the background, but Hoffman has forged a reputation as a player who gives 100 per cent every game, no matter where he plays, and he continued to be one of the Broncos’ most whole-hearted performers.

“There was no point in me walking around at the Broncos kicking stones after not getting the fullback role,” Hoffman says.

“All I could do was put my head down and get the job done.

“The experience saw me grow as a player, and off the field when there is adversity I have learned to push through that barrier.

“As a man, I feel as though it has matured me on and off the field.

“It is a weight off the shoulders to have finally signed with the Titans, but Wayne (Bennett) has really helped me with the transition.

“He is the type of person who will always be there for you if you have troubles. I am very thankful to the Broncos for giving me this opportunity.”

Now he has arrived at the Titans, Hoffman’s No.1 goal is to secure the No.1 jersey.

“Neil has said there are no guarantees that I will be playing fullback,” he says. “Will Zillman and David Mead are good players who can play fullback and it is good to have strike and back-up at a club. But Neil has let me know there is an opportunity for me to play fullback.”

Coach Henry says having so many competent fullbacks is a nice headache to have.

“Josh gives us a lot of depth in that fullback position,” Henry says.

“He has played six and in the centres . . . but there is no doubt he prefers to play at the back. He is a consistent first-grader and some parts of his game are not negotiable.

“The strong carry and the effort he puts in to bringing the ball back, looking for the try line, trying to break a tackle or making the most metres he can are always there.

“That is a real part of why we pursued him.

“I like his positional play as well. He’s a good defensive fullback and good under the (high) ball.

“He is keen to make the fullback position his, but he realises it is not about individual wants. It is about the needs of the team.”
    Last edited by K2G; 24-01-15 at 08:52 PM.

I think Hoffman should get first crack at fullback with Mead the second choice. However, if Hoffy isn't performing consistently he shouldn't be a walk in for the #1 jersey like Zilly has been for the last few seasons. This competition for spots is good and something we haven't seen for a long time. No more automatic selections. The trials will be a big deciding factor on spots I reckon.

Josh Hoffman pushing claims for fullback spot in Gold Coast side

CHRIS GARRY THE COURIER-MAIL JANUARY 24, 2015 11:00PM

STAR Titans recruit Josh Hoffman approaches Wayne Bennett, smiles and extends a hand to the man who three months ago told him he was not the fullback the Broncos needed.

They shake hands without a hint of awkwardness one would expect between an ex-employee and the boss who effectively moved him on.

Bennett was the second coach to deflate Hoffman’s custodian ambition and their meeting was about the 78th time he had been told he wouldn’t fit the No.1 jersey he pined for.

Those who knew Hoffman and at times even those who didn’t realised it hurt and bewildered the Mackay product to be continually overlooked for the spot he won Broncos player of the year for in 2010.

This time last year, he wanted to leave Red Hill because of the frustration of being a backline gap-filler.

Some viewed his desire to leave Brisbane for a fullback role as selfish, others believed he had every right to seek the best outcome for his young family.

The Broncos didn’t agree with Hoffman, adamant he should have sucked it up and done what he was told.

Now settled at the Gold Coast Titans, Hoffman actually agrees with ex-coach Anthony Griffin’s perspective.

At the NRL All Stars team announcement earlier this week, where he saw Bennett for the first time since the new coach told him he was free to leave Red Hill, Hoffman appeared the happiest he had been in a long time.

At Brisbane, he was perennially on a media ban with the club concerned he was too honest.

At his lone post-match interview last season he greeted shocked journalists with a smile and said, “Haven’t seen you guys in a while”.

There is no longer a need to gag Hoffman, he is rid of the baggage he carried during his final year at Brisbane.

“There’s no problems there with Hook. I understand why he did what he did. He was doing the right thing for the team and I get that,” he told The Sunday Mail.

“It actually helped me a lot being shifted around and playing different positions.

“Now if there’s any position to be filled I can do that.

“That adversity, the ups and downs of my time there, has made me a better person and I realise that it all helped me out.

“On and off the field, Hook has helped me out.

“He’s a great coach. He will be back in the NRL somewhere.

“I feel like there’s a weight off my shoulders. I can now concentrate on playing footy.

“When I was going through all that stuff at the Broncos, unsure where I was going to be, I wasn’t happy.

“There’s no hard feelings with Wayne either. There’s no animosity. I know that Wayne has a job to do but he also looks after players.

“I know he always wants to make sure players are in good spirits and that’s what I am.”

Hoffman has not been guaranteed the Titans’ No.1 jersey by coach Neil Henry but he is expected to be given first opportunity and will press his claims at this weekend’s NRL Nines tournament in Auckland.

Hoffman still lives in Brisbane, and with one daughter Leilani Grace and another on the way, is on a 5am wake up, 8pm bed time, routine in order to negate the one hour commute to Southport and back each day.

He has a secret weapon to ease the boredom of driving.

“I get the Miley Cyrus and Britney Spears pumping to get me in the zone for training,” he said smiling.

“I am getting to bed at 8pm then waking at 5am to get going. It is not too bad. I am actually enjoying the drive.

“I really like Neil (Henry).

“He is a sharp shooter. A straight-forward bloke and that’s what I like in a coach.

“I am really happy at the moment.

“There’s a weight off my shoulders. At the Broncos, at the end there, I had no clue what club I was going to be at.

“The Warriors showed interest and wanted me to come over there and meet them.

“It is hard though when I have a little one, a wife and another one on the way.

“If I was going to go to the Warriors she would have had to stay here until she had the baby and I wouldn’t have been happy with that.

“The Four Nations helped me out because I could just focus on the Kiwis and when I got back to Australia I had realised a few things and then I spoke to Neil to see how he viewed me and that was a good talk and it went from there.

“The decision I made is the right one.

“There was some talk with rugby (union) and some things happening there in the background but I feel I want to keep going at league and my chat with Neil made me realise that.”

for some reason i like this guy. ever since his debut he played with courage and intent. best of luck to him

I want him to succeed in the 1 jersey so here's hoping for an injury free pre season for Hoff & Meady may the best man 1
    #itaintweaktospeak

He's been recruited for FB, he's not going to lose the spot.

He needs to step up and win us games
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

More worried about the left outside pairing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    More worried about the left outside pairing.
    crampton and Mead
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Roberts and Don on the right?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Roberts will be on the left lads

I think