Default Titans speedster Kevin Gordon’s future on Gold Coast in limbo

NRL 2015: Titans speedster Kevin Gordon’s future on Gold Coast in limbo
    Travis Meyn The Courier-Mail
    January 21, 2015 12:00AM

THEY came through the grades together and now Titans winger David Mead has backed fellow speedster Kevin Gordon to become an NRL force again.

After years of consistent NRL action, Gordon is facing an uncertain future on the Gold Coast as he battles to bounce back from injury and poor form.

The 25-year-old was left out of the club’s Auckland Nines squad by coach Neil Henry as he continues his recovery from knee and hip complaints.

Gordon has been in full training with the squad for some time but has seemingly fallen back in the pecking order of wingers.

Anthony Don and Kalifa Faifai Loa have moved ahead of him in the selection stakes while Henry will be desperate to fit Mead, vice-captain William Zillman and Broncos recruit Josh Hoffman into his Round 1 team.

Gordon, who has 112 NRL appearances under his belt, is almost certain to start the season in the Intrust Super Cup but Mead backed his sparring partner to return to the big time soon.

“I’ve always known Kev to work really hard,” Mead said.

“He’ll be doing whatever he can to make sure he gets a position in the team.

“He hasn’t been on the field much because he had the clean-out on his knee and hip which held him back last year but he’ll be doing everything he can to get a position on the field.

“Whether it’s against me or any other winger he’ll be making sure he works hard for it.”

“Flash” Gordon burst on to the NRL scene in 2009 with his scintillating speed and freakish tryscoring ability making him an instant star.

But he has struggled to produce consistently good form since suffering a devastating knee injury in 2011 and Henry is now blessed with a plethora of wing options.

“Last year, Kalifa and Boog (Don) got some time there and have been training really well,” Mead said.

“They’re some of the fittest guys in the team.

“They really want to improve so there’s definitely a lot of heat there. There’s always been someone coming through wanting to take the positions.”

Titans assistant coach Terry Matterson said the club wasn’t willing to risk an underdone Gordon in the fast-paced Nines later this month.

“Coming back from that hip operation and at this point in time we’re not keen to risk anyone who’s not 100 per cent,” he said.

“We’re hopeful but it’s important he gets back 100 per cent fit before he plays.”

Matterson also hosed down speculation the club was in the mix to sign disgruntled Manly centre Steve Matai.

Henry has had discussions with Matai’s manager, Gavin Orr, but it’s unlikely the ex-Kiwi centre will be heading to the Gold Coast given he’s chasing a three-year contract and the Titans are only willing to offer two seasons.

“I’m not really involved in those sorts of talks but, at the moment, I don’t think they’ll be going down that avenue,” Matterson said.

“You’re always going to be looking at things, even if your full squad is bedded down.

“People are always looking to recruit and you find ways to bring people in.

“We’re pretty happy with the way things are and the guys here now are going to get first opportunity.”

I don't think being left out of the 9's should be such a concern when someone is recovering from injury but Flash is a long way behind Don & Mead at the moment...go back to Tweed to find some speed & form
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I don't think being left out of the 9's should be such a concern when someone is recovering from injury but Flash is a long way behind Don & Mead at the moment...go back to Tweed to find some speed & form
    Thats how I see it too. No alarms yet. And even if he lags behind, he can play QCUP and if we use our feeder system properly... He has every chance and motivation of returning, especially in a long NRL campaign.

No alarms, but definitely heightened competition. Im great fans of all four men. Don, Mead and Gordon and I always did like Hoffman. I think he will go great guns for us.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

It was obvious (to me at least) that last year he wasn't as quick as he once was. Hopefully he recovers his speed because that is something that can't be coached. You either have it or you don't and he doesn't have the build I don't think to make a shift to the forwards like a lot of ex wingers seem to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    It was obvious (to me at least) that last year he wasn't as quick as he once was. Hopefully he recovers his speed because that is something that can't be coached. You either have it or you don't and he doesn't have the build I don't think to make a shift to the forwards like a lot of ex wingers seem to do.
    Speed is about all he has, although he's a good finisher. Defensively he is atrocious and because he stops and jinxes in his hit ups he is often driven back a few metres which stuffs up a quick play the ball.
    I hope he gets back to what he was but at this stage Mead and Don are much better options.

Seems like a journalist clutching at straws. I like Gordon, but agree that he is out of form at the moment, and needs to spend time in the lower grades to get his game right.
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!