Default Kane Elgey heaping pressure on Titans halves Daniel Mortimer, Aidan Sezer

Kane Elgey heaping pressure on Titans halves Daniel Mortimer, Aidan Sezer

TRAVIS MEYN
    THE COURIER-MAIL
    JANUARY 18, 2015 11:00PM

THE race for the Gold Coast Titans playmaking positions may not be run and won with young gun Kane Elgey heaping the pressure on incumbent duo Daniel Mortimer and Aidan Sezer.

Elgey has impressed many this pre-season, seemingly growing in confidence since his stunning under-20s season last year when he was named the Holden Cup’s player of the year despite the young Titans finishing second last in the competition.

The 21-year-old was elevated to the Gold Coast’s top squad and has shown huge improvements on the training paddock.

Elgey has been told to put on weight by coach Neil Henry so his 84kg frame is ready for the rigours of the NRL and he has set his sights on playing in at least one pre-season trial.

And he’s confident his time in the top grade will come if he can continue to build on the success he tasted in 2014.

“It’s been a big step up obviously but the confidence coming out of last year has helped a lot,” Elgey said.

“I was always a shy bloke but I’m starting to feel I belong a bit more now and I’m not just the young one.

“I want to try and get a start in the (Auckland) Nines and have a trial match with the first grade side. I just need to bide my time. I’m playing it by ear.

“The big goal is to debut this year and secure a contract. I just need to have a go this year and see what happens.”

Elgey has always had plenty of talent.

An Australian schoolboys representative in 2011 while at Palm Beach Currumbin, the local product has slowly made his way through the grades.

Being given the captaincy of the under-20s Titans last year saw him step his game up to another level and he was ultimately awarded the competition’s highest honour.

But he’s also wary of the pressures such an award can bring.

Former Titans halfback Beau Henry won the award in 2009 and barely fired a shot in the NRL and Elgey said he’s tried to forget about the silverware.

“It was a surprise but I’ve tried to forget about it and not let it get to my head,” he said.

“I took confidence out of it, that’s the biggest thing, but I’ve pushed it aside. That was last year and it’s not going to help me play first grade.

“I need to play consistent now. There is (pressure). That’s why I’m trying to think of it as last year and this is this year.”

Mortimer and Sezer are widely expected to be given first crack at the key playmaking positions given the solid NRL foundations they possess.

But Mortimer said he could feel Elgey, Christian Hazard and Jamal Fogarty snapping at their heels.

“In a team that didn’t go so well, to get player of the year was a massive effort from Kane,” Mortimer said.

“It’s great for us halves to have young enthusiastic fellas nipping at our heels. It can only make a team stronger.

“We’ve got a bit of pressure to hold on to our jerseys this year which is great.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227188709543

Good article. I would love to see Elgey burst onto the scene this season. In saying that, he shouldn't be rushed in straight away. Slowly ease him into the action maybe coming of the bench for a few games before making his way into the starting side.

Have been saying it already along with a couple of others on here , I am hoping & expecting round 1 Elgey is wearing the 7 with Morts wearing the 17
    #itaintweaktospeak

I guess I hope we don't rush him. I hope we ease him into it. I worry he could go the way of Jordan Rankin.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I can remember Wally Lewis saying very many years ago after he made his debut for Diehards' Diehards as a kid in a very tough BRL comp: "the opposition don't read your birth certificate, just the number on your back". Imho, if he's good enough then let him play.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    I guess I hope we don't rush him. I hope we ease him into it. I worry he could go the way of Jordan Rankin.
    Rank was thrown in at the age of 16 Elgey will be 21 before he gets a start in the 13 man game...i'm confident he'll prove himself a worthy 1st grade no7
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Rank was thrown in at the age of 16 Elgey will be 21 before he gets a start in the 13 man game...i'm confident he'll prove himself a worthy 1st grade no7
    Your confidence is good enough for me. Let's see how he goes throughout the year.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady