Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gold Coast Titans vow not to sell themselves short in search for sponsor

TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JANUARY 16, 2015 12:00AM

The withdrawal of major sponsor iSelect has left a hole in the Titans’ finances and on their jumpers.
    GOLD Coast Titans CEO Graham Annesley says the club will not undersell its naming-rights sponsorship despite the possibility of heading into the NRL season without a major backer.

The Titans are battling to fill the multimillion-dollar blackhole left by iSelect, who pulled out of the final two years of their four-year commitment because of off-field controversies.

Annesley has been in negotiations with a number of companies for about a year, even flying to China to try to secure a multinational brand.

But so far the search has been fruitless and the Titans are now facing the prospect of kicking off the NRL season in March without major support.

The players yesterday gathered at Cbus Super Stadium for their annual team photograph wearing jerseys without branding on the front.

But Annesley said the club wasn’t about to discount its major sponsorship price just to start the season with a logo.

“We haven’t secured a naming-rights sponsor yet,” he said.

“We’re doing everything we can to try to secure one. We’re still trying and meeting with companies. We’re not going to have a fire sale and undersell it.

“In our view it’s worth a particular price and we would prefer to hold out for that price because if you undersell, it *devalues sponsorship across the entire competition.

“It also means you’ve set a market price then which is very difficult to recover from.

“The brand is more important than that. Other clubs’ *financial futures are more important than that.

“We are not going to sell it off at a discounted price just so that we can go into the competition with a logo on a jersey.”

The sponsorship market has been tough for many NRL clubs in recent years.

Cronulla have battled to secure a major backer while Canberra turned to a Chinese company to find support.

The Titans had solid support from Jetstar in their infancy before iSelect took over the major sponsorship, only to cut their association short.

“Major sponsorship is big money and there’s not businesses on every corner that can afford that,” Annesley said.

“There’s no timeline. We’ve got to get the right deal.”

The Titans have had a tough few years, nearly crumbling under eight-figure debts in 2012 while player behaviour has also been a concern.

Greg Bird was recently stripped of the co-captaincy after urinating in public and the club sacked emerging star Paul Carter last month when he was caught drink-driving for the second time in six months.

“I don’t really want to revisit any of that,” Annesley said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

I admire Annesley for stickin' to his guns, and wanting top dollar from a major sponsor. But at the same time, I just hope he's keeping in mind of our previous off field indiscretions/issues, and current economic climate (worldwide). Because there's a lot of big corporate companies pulling out or reducing their sponsorship spending in most forms of sport these days.

I love the line that Raiders had to go off-shore for sponsorship ... who writes this crap? Huawei wanted to enter the Australian market and rugby league seemed a viable option for them and they've stuck with the Raiders through some crappy times too, nothing second rate about that at all. Annesley doesn't seem to have the marketing flair that's required and that's a big worry in front of the antics of some of our players.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

so this year it looks like we enter with no major sponsor, no sleeve sponsor either. Got to say it gotta hurt the bank balance. What happened to zarraffa's coffee?, maybe pivotal homes may replace coral homes for sleeve. just a tad worried this will cut into what funds are left if any

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of our finances is that the NRL hand-out funds the club and the rest is superfluous, especially as we are running the club from the local council offices, a high school field and a container.

Whoa, OK.. If "the rest is superfluous", where the hell is my Clubhouse?

Oh.. some of it probably went to Tahiti..
    Last edited by Toads; 16-01-15 at 11:13 AM.

Club has no Major sponsor and yesterday we had the squads captain pleading with Paul Carter to stay on the coast so the Titans can re-sign him lololol, this club is a joke
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

We have to pay off-field staff and marketing that doesn't come from the NRL hand-out but after that there is not much else as everybody keep saying we have serviced our loans + gate takings, membership and merchandise, we should be rolling in it
    Last edited by Titanic; 16-01-15 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Club has no Major sponsor and yesterday we had the squads captain pleading with Paul Carter to stay on the coast so the Titans can re-sign him lololol, this club is a joke
    Frankly mate I don't have a problem with anyone pleading with Carter to stay. I have said Carter should be out of the NRL picture for a year but after that if he behaves himself I am happy to resign him.
    I don't think that should be linked to to the sponsorship issue.

Is Zarraffas still with us? Looks like XXXX has bolted too...

I concur with Titanic re: Huawei and the Raiders. They have done well by them.

Hopefully we secure a sponsor soon...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

does anyone think that if we dont have one by round one, that we put a charity logo or even a up and coming, well-intentioned GC brand that could use a leg up as a bit of goodwill until the real sponsor comes along.

I recall the bulldogs having camp quality on their jersey after the coffs harbour scandal and they were giving off rapey vibes and no one would sponsor them

Great idea, worked well for the Canterbury Bulldogs and look at them now. Just as long as it isn't Titans 4 Tomorrow...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I
    Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Is Zarraffas still with us? Looks like XXXX has bolted too...

I concur with Titanic re: Huawei and the Raiders. They have done well by them.

Hopefully we secure a sponsor soon...
    Zarraffas chose not to renue like a few others.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I still don't understand how we don't have a sponsor yet there are AFL teams that have been caught mass doping that've kept their sponsors. How does that work...

Just glad that the club isn't selling themselves short. I like the charity idea.

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    I still don't understand how we don't have a sponsor yet there are AFL teams that have been caught mass doping that've kept their sponsors. How does that work...

Just glad that the club isn't selling themselves short. I like the charity idea.
    Agree with your thoughts. However locally the reality is that we have a damaged brand / name and sponsors are reluctant to back the Titans. I believe its been the long term damage that still hurts us where as in the AFL it was seen as one offs. IMO there would be a few sponsors out there that are probably waiting to see how the club goes on the field to make their mind up as to weather they back the Titans or not.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady