Default Myles pleads with Carter to stay

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent NRL.com 6:00am Thu 15th January, 2015

Titans captain Nate Myles has issued an impassioned plea to dumped back-rower Paul Carter to resurrect his career on the Gold Coast and avoid making the same mistakes that Myles made early in his career.

After a breakout 2014 in which he was named the Titans' rookie of the year and played a total of 21 NRL games in his debut season, Carter had his contract terminated in late December for a second drink driving offence in the space of six months.

Carter's manager, Clinton Schifcoske, was not available for comment on where his client is likely to play his football in 2015 but the Burleigh Bears have already stated that they would be happy to have him as a member of their squad for the upcoming Intrust Super Cup season if he chose to stay on the Coast.

Myles and fellow 2014 co-captain Greg Bird were key mentors in how Carter approached his on-field role last season and Myles is insistent that the 22-year-old won't reach his full potential if he joins another NRL club.

"I want to help him and I can't lie and say that I wouldn't be very disappointed if we lost Paul Carter as a player," Myles said in an extensive interview with NRL.com. "I don't ever believe in just completely cutting someone off and doing things like that.

"I'll tell you right now, if Paul Carter doesn't stay here and stay at this club that wants to help him – I know this club wants to help him – I don't think he's going to make the most of what he's got as a footy player.

"I think he's a ridiculously good footy player, I think everyone knows that, he just needs to make sure that his best interests are about him and making a difference in his life, not just with footy but after footy. He's got a lot more years to live out not playing this game and I think this club really wants to help him and I think if he was to leave it would be a shame.

"I wouldn't like to see him go; he's the type of bloke you really want to play alongside of."

As a company director with Talent Sports Academy that aims to provide aspiring athletes in regional areas with access to expert coaching and development, Myles is directly involved in the changing nature of elite pathways.

Making his first grade debut at the Bulldogs in 2005 at just 19 years of age, Myles admitted that the ethos was very much along the lines of "party hard, play hard and hang on" but says the NRL are doing a wonderful job in the education of young players now coming into NRL club systems.

"My penny did not drop for a long time, without doubt, but it's the way of the world now," Myles said.

"Unfortunately you just can't even think about trying to have that mentality of when I came through, the back-end of the Bulldogs days. I'm sure it's a totally different club now but when I was there it was all about a good time and a fast time.

"I commend the NRL on how they do approach the rookie camps, the RLPA (Rugby League Players Association) is doing some fantastic things and really helping out with some people and I've got a definite interest in regards to helping people out.

"Not enough light gets shed on the fact that there are a lot of young kids out there that are leaps and bounds ahead of other kids the same age doing the same thing. I don't know why and I don't know when it should happen but the old saying of when the penny drops, things change, and for some players it just happens earlier than others.

"If you can force that penny to drop a bit earlier on some people it's going to save a lot of unnecessary, ill-directed heartache.

"There are guys that prefer to go and do their own thing and probably don't think outside their own little bubble but there are a lot of young blokes that are just some of the nicest, genuine, hard-working kids that have come through grade and the NRL is definitely doing a lot better for sure in regards to our young kids coming through and their welfare and stuff like that."

Friday: Myles commits to future success of Titans

- - - Updated - - -

"Myles is insistent that the 22-year-old won't reach his full potential if he joins another NRL club."

My prediction is that Carter will be back playing for the Titans before 2015 is out.

I really hope Carter pulls his head in and stays. He isn't a player we will struggle without but I see a lot of potential in him. Was a very good player last year in his debut season with his only issue being him conceding penalties and errors. I like his aggressiveness and his toughness. We gave him a chance at first grade so now it's his time to repay us.

We may as well re-sign him after his rehab or help in whatever form he is hopefully getting. Doesn't look like it's going to make a difference attracting sponsors so we may as well keep the good young talent at a discounted rate.

Burleigh have been waiting for him to turn up at training but he is yet to appear..
    #itaintweaktospeak

what type of help was Myles giving before? was he even helping him before? why wait till he is sacked to be give asssistance?