Default David Mead not feeling threatened by competition from Josh Hoffman

TRAVIS MEYN THE COURIER-MAIL JANUARY 14, 2015 11:00PM

ASPIRING Titans fullback David Mead has welcomed the competition from former New Zealand international Josh Hoffman, which has intensified the tussle for the Gold Coast’s No. 1 jersey.

Mead, Hoffman and incumbent William Zillman are locked in an intriguing battle for the fullback role this year.

Hoffman left Brisbane believing he would be given first crack at the position but coach Neil Henry has said he was yet to make a decision on who would play the pivotal role.

Gold Coast’s two pre-season trial games, against New Zealand and North Queensland, could decide who patrols the back in Round 1 against Wests Tigers.

Rather than feeling threatened by Hoffman, Mead said he was excited to have a player of his calibre at the club.

“It’s been awesome having Hoffy there,” he said. “He brings a lot of experience. He’s very skilful, good on his feet and strong.

“He’s got a lot of good qualities and is a good character off the field. He’s a very good runner of the ball. He’s got his style and my style’s a bit different.

“It’s good to have him there for the competition.”

Mead took some major steps forward last year in his quest to become a fulltime fullback.

He started at the back in eight games for the Titans and scored two tries in his NSW Country Origin debut last season.

His attacking ability has never been questioned but some defensive lapses and fitness concerns saw Zillman return to his favoured position.

Mead said he had shed 3kg this pre-season and was nearing the fitness level needed to be an NRL fullback.

“I’m lighter (87kg) than I normally am and am more fit. I’m getting around the park easier,” he said.

“Running-wise it’s the fittest I’ve been because I’m a bit lighter.“Strength and speed-wise I’ve always been pretty good but this year has been about getting aerobically fitter. With another couple of weeks of training I should be good.

“Last year was a good step in that direction. I got more of an idea how to play the role.

“This year it’s about trying to cement that spot and play the best I can in that position.

“After speaking to Neil, there is opportunity there. He said I’ll get a bit of time at fullback. It’s just about me making the most of it.’’

Hoffman, Zillman and Mead are all expected to play in the Auckland Nines this month but form in the short form of the game will not be a great gauge when it comes to the NRL.

If Mead is overlooked for fullback, he will go back to the wing where there is another battle for positions with Kevin Gordon, Anthony Don and Kalifa Faifai Loa impressing during pre-season.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to know if Hoffman and Zilly are training in any position other than fullback?? Any inside word Teke?

Nah i got nothing cept Brad Tighe is looking more like Dean Widders every day.

Is his bum on backwards?
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

As long as Zillman isn't wearing the 1 then I will be happy. Mead is quite solid in defence and good in attack. Hoffman is good in defence and attack and also under the highball. It says in the article that Mead had defensive lapses. He had a few like any other fullback but I thought he was quite good in d. The Rabbitohs game was his best game in defence. He saved us that game.

My preference atm is:
    1. Hoffman
    2. Mead'
    3. No one
    4. Zillman

However, trials will finally mean something for us. No longer will there be favouritism in the team. No automatic selection for Zillman at fullback. I will be happy as long as Mead or Hoffman are at fullback.

Knowing our luck, Zillman will kill it at the trials and stay there for 20 rounds

Putting Zillman at centre is just finding a place for him. He brings nothing to the centres and is either a fb or a wing but neither at this level, imho.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Yeah t4L I really dont understand your preference for zill in the centres?

if anyone wants to see Zilly pass watch the video up on titans TV about Don, it shows them running a backline movement with zilly throwing the last pass, you will have to see it to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    As long as Zillman isn't wearing the 1 then I will be happy. Mead is quite solid in defence and good in attack. Hoffman is good in defence and attack and also under the highball. It says in the article that Mead had defensive lapses. He had a few like any other fullback but I thought he was quite good in d. The Rabbitohs game was his best game in defence. He saved us that game.

My preference atm is:
    1. Hoffman
    2. Mead'
    3. No one
    4. Zillman

However, trials will finally mean something for us. No longer will there be favouritism in the team. No automatic selection for Zillman at fullback. I will be happy as long as Mead or Hoffman are at fullback.

Knowing our luck, Zillman will kill it at the trials and stay there for 20 rounds
    Is "No One" Roberts new nickname ?
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 16-01-15 at 09:21 AM.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Yeah t4L I really dont understand your preference for zill in the centres?
    Boys I think you misunderstood my post. They were my fullback order preference as in Hoffman first choice, Mead second choice and no one at fullback ahead of Zillman at 4th.

I should have explained further. I don't want Zillman in the centres or fullback. He should be a back up at most
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 15-01-15 at 12:51 PM.

My backline for round 1 would be:

1. Josh Hoffman
    2. Kevin Gordon/Anthony Don
    3. James Roberts
    4. Anthony Don/Davin Crampton
    5. David Mead
    6. Aidan Sezer
    7. Daniel Mortimer (to start with anyway)

Yep read it as a backline list ... my bad
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yep read it as a backline list ... my bad

read it the same way
    #itaintweaktospeak

its funny cos if the fullback list went to number 5, it would have been Gordon or Don, so maintaining the 'is this a FB or backline list confusion.

Not long until trials and we will really see where things stand.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER