Titan Don excited for 2015
Rugby League Week
January 14, 2015

BOOM Titans outside back Anthony Don and his Titans teammates are raring to go for their first season under incoming coach Neil Henry.

Despite some encouraging individual performances last season the Titans winger is looking to impress a new coaching team in 2015.

“It’s definitely been a change from last year and Neil’s bought a few new staff in as well in Terry (Matterson) and Rohan (Smith) so they’ve been really good as has Neil and it’s been a bit more intense that’s for sure,” Don said.

After a disappointing 2014 that saw their inaugural coach part ways with the club, the Titans will be looking for improvement this season but Don stopped short of targeting a position on the ladder.

“We haven’t really listed where we want to finish on the table.

“We have more spoken about team morale and team standards that we need to keep through the whole season so I think we will stick with getting our team codes down first and then we will see what happens after that.”

While Titans supporters will be crying out for a much improved season Don was quick to keep the clubs goals in perspective.

“I think any year is big for any NRL club so we are just trying to think about the games and training and what Neil is telling us but we are all keen to play and hopefully make the finals.”

The season kicks off with the Auckland Nines and after getting a taste last year Don is keen to get the call up again for the February tournament when the Titans announce their squad on Monday.

“Last year playing in the Nines was an unreal experience and the crowds were just huge.

“We are drawn to play New Zealand this year and last year when they played the crowds were massive and it was a crazy atmosphere so hopefully I can be there.”

After the Nines Don will turn his attention to the trials and getting that all important starting position for round one.

“Right across the park we’ve got a lot of competition for spots so it’s hard to name one person that’s going to be a cemented starter in round one,” Don admitted.

“There is a lot of competition at training and everyone is hustling for every ball that gets dropped on the ground so its been good.”