Default Crampton itching to hit field for Titans

Crampton itching to hit field for Titans
    By COURTNEY WARD
    Dec. 22, 2014, 9:21 p.m.

DAVIN Crampton has only been part of the Gold Coast Titans for seven weeks but he is loving every moment.

The 26-year-old Normanton product signed his first National Rugby League contract last month, just in time to start training camp with his teammates.

“It’s been a big step up in workload with three or four training sessions each day, but I’m really enjoying it,” Crampton said.

“The coaches keep us on our toes by mixing up the session, including weights and skills sessions.

“I knew it was going to be harder but the training is probably harder than I expected it to be.”

Crampton, the 2013 Northern Pride player of the year, said the transition into the big time had been made easier by his teammates.

“All the boys have been very receptive to me and included me straight off the bat,” he said.

“It’s good that we have gelled so much already his year, which can only bode well for next season.

“Kierran Moseley and I have obviously made a strong connection, as we both come from similar backgrounds.

“As we both knew people from our respective home towns, we clicked straight away.”

Although Crampton hasn’t spoken much to coach Neil Henry in depth, he feels their relationship is strong.

“Neil knows where I can play and the versatility I can bring to the field,” he said.

“At the moment I’ve been training at right centre with former Canterbury Bulldogs forward Lachlan Burr inside me and Anthony Don outside me on the wing.

“As good as training has been, I already can’t wait to hit the actual playing field and get some action under my belt.”

Crampton’s first chance of action for the Titans could be at the Auckland Nines, which gets under way on January 31.

“All we have been doing is training, so I get the sense from a lot of the boys that they want to get back on the field and play again,” he said.

“There hasn’t been much talk of the Auckland Nines yet but I’m hoping to make the journey across.”

Despite numerous off-field issues surrounding the club, such as Paul Carter’s sacking and Greg Bird being stripped of the club’s captaincy, Crampton said the team was still focused.

“Personally, it hasn’t really affected me,” he said.

“Everyone knows it is out of their hands and just goes on with their business as normal.”

Crampton and his Titans teammates are on break until January 5, when training will resume.

That's a good read I love his enthusiasm & there nothing better than Competition when competing for positions
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    That's a good read I love his enthusiasm & there nothing better than Competition when competing for positions
    Absolutely. He's a dark horse in the race for the centre position according to any media outlet who doesn't bother to do research but I'd have Crampton there come round 1.

I'm not sure how i feel about JR being trained at left centre though..that left fend is his second best asset and he's played almost all his footy on the right

At the moment I’ve been training at right centre with former Canterbury Bulldogs forward Lachlan Burr inside me and Anthony Don outside me on the wing.

thats seems like a odd mouthful for a rookie player... am i wrong for thinking he didnt actuallly say "former Canterbury Bulldogs forward Lachlan Burr".
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 25-12-14 at 03:37 PM.

It sounds like the back-up right side combination behind Roberts, Mead and (was Carter now Ridge perhaps) and DB you're totally right he probably said something like, "I've been havin' a go on the right with those two streaks Burrie from the 'Dogs and the Ghost."
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.