Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Carter

There's no way his off field discretions are on par with fergo or carney's. We had to terminate him because of the run off off field behavioural issues the club has now copped and how that is beginning to reflect on / impact our entire brand, but had he committed the same back to back offences at another club, I'm not so sure it would've garnered quite as severe of a reaction. I won't be surprised to see him play against us in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    There's no way his off field discretions are on par with fergo or carney's. We had to terminate him because of the run off off field behavioural issues the club has now copped and how that is beginning to reflect on / impact our entire brand, but had he committed the same back to back offences at another club, I'm not so sure it would've garnered quite as severe of a reaction. I won't be surprised to see him play against us in 2015.
    I disagree.

Drink driving is a really serious crime that claims way too many lives every year. It's a way worse offence than pi55ing in your own mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I disagree.

Drink driving is a really serious crime that claims way too many lives every year. It's a way worse offence than pi55ing in your own mouth.
    Absolutely agree. Anyone caught drink driving needs to be punished and if you have been caught previously then you have no rights for complaint. He is an A grade idiot for doing this again. I hope the league decides to send a message.

to do it twice... you cant forgive that...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I disagree.

I hate that I even have to qualify my last post because I'd like to think what I'm about to write here pretty much goes without saying. Obviously I agree with you. Drink driving is an extremely negligent, and potentially very dangerous crime. Comparing it to pissing in ones own mouth is stupid and offensive, I apologise if anyone reads my initial post and draws that as its conclusion.

I'd love to defend the point I was making more vigorously, but I'm on a mobile phone and it's just a pain to type on.

Ultimately, I wasn't saying drink driving is not a serious crime, or that it's worthy of less severe punishment than 'bubbling' or drinking breezers on rooftops (although I think sexual assault might trump dui if we're really playing that game)... Just that Carney and Ferguson were repeat offenders on a level thus far unrivalled by Paul Carter, and that if history is any precedent and we are judging off filed issues and player behaviour on a case by case basis, I don't think Carters offences would've been treated as harshly at a club not struggling a) to find a major sponsor and b) to address a club culture that is increasingly viewed as a drinking, undisciplined one.

For what it's worth, i think he had to be sacked. The club was left with little alternative. But I don't think he should be deregistered for 2015. Anyone who thinks so is seeking revenge, not justice.

I hate that I even have to qualify my last post because I'd like to think what I'm about to write here pretty much goes without saying. Obviously I agree with you. Drink driving is an extremely negligent, and potentially very dangerous crime. Comparing it to pissing in ones own mouth is stupid and offensive, I apologise if anyone reads my initial post and draws that as its conclusion.

I'd love to defend the point I was making more vigorously, but I'm on a mobile phone and it's just a pain to type on.

Ultimately, I wasn't saying drink driving is not a serious crime, or that it's worthy of less severe punishment than 'bubbling' or drinking breezers on rooftops (although I think sexual assault might trump dui if we're really playing that game)... Just that Carney and Ferguson were repeat offenders on a level thus far unrivalled by Paul Carter, and that if history is any precedent and we are judging off filed issues and player behaviour on a case by case basis, I don't think Carters offences would've been treated as harshly at a club not struggling a) to find a major sponsor and b) to address a club culture that is increasingly viewed as a drinking, undisciplined one.

For what it's worth, i think he had to be sacked. The club was left with little alternative. But I don't think he should be deregistered for 2015. Anyone who thinks so is seeking revenge, not justice.
    I was agreeing with all you said until your last sentence which is just crap in my view. I am not seeking revenge when I say he should be deregistered for 2015. I'm not sure I am even seeking justice - I am seeking ACCOUNTABILITY from people that are very privileged doing what they do. If they are not prepared to accept the responsibilities that come with the territory then they can go and play something else.
    I am sick of the soft cock approach to bad behaviour whether it be in society in general or among our sports people. Why should the Titans be penalised by having this clown be allowed to play against us in 2015 if he was picked up by another club. That's not revenge, it's a fair penalty for being a bloody idiot.

Unf#*kingbelievable... The kid has been given a lifeline after his 1st stupid drinking incident, goes on to win rookie of the year, and then comes up with this. What the hell has to be done to show these guys how important it is to keep their noses clean? It is so frustrating seeing a player with such potential doing something this stupid.
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Its a shame but he deserved it i just hope the NRL enforce a ban on him playing NRL for any other club for 12 months
    #itaintweaktospeak

It is not like this mob (any NRL player) is struggling for cash. How hard is it if you don't have a sober driver to get a freakin' taxi!

Make me wonder how many times he has done this in the past and got away with it..

I agree with most peoples comments. He should be deregistered for 12 months. There is no way he should be allowed to play NRL (any level actually) in 2015... No wages coming in at all. That should sober him up!

Carter expected to appeal Titans sacking

The Gold Coast Titans are expecting the club's 2014 Rookie of the Year Paul Carter to appeal the termination of his contract but it is highly unlikely he will play for the club again after a second drink driving offence in the space of six months.

Less than 48 hours after Greg Bird had the Titans co-captaincy taken from him due to being issued with a criminal infringement notice the night after his wedding, Carter was arrested and charged for mid-range drink driving whilst unlicensed.

Carter's license was suspended back in June when he plead guilty to high-range drink driving after he was pulled over for driving the wrong way down Orchid Avenue in Surfers Paradise and this latest offence pushed the Titans past breaking point.

At the time of his arrest in June his management and the Titans were in the midst of a negotiation for an upgraded contract, a contract that is now just days away from being torn up.

He will have the opportunity to appear before the board and appeal the decision but a disillusioned CEO, Graham Annesley, said his football career will almost certainly have to be pursued elsewhere.

"It's very sad for Paul; it's a terrible way for him to end his career at the club if that's what happens at the end of the process," said Annesley, who admitted that he was "lost for words" having to address yet another issue of poor player behaviour.

"It's going to set his life back seriously and it's sad for the club. He's one of our best players, we all know that so we would prefer that players do the right thing and get on with their job which is playing football to the best of their ability.

"The vast majority of players do the right thing in the community and are great representatives of the brand we're trying to promote; unfortunately we've had a few incidents this year where players have got themselves into trouble and that has set us back."

Ahead of a three-day camp on the New South Wales far North Coast it is yet another blow to coach Neil Henry's pre-season preparations but he revealed that the club had been helping Carter with personal issues.

Twelve months after arriving on the Gold Coast and presenting himself as a likeable young man with a big future ahead of him, Carter was forced to do laps with Henry in the first week of pre-season eight weeks ago when he turned up woefully out of condition.

No one expected he would play 21 games in his first year in the NRL yet he quickly became an integral cog of the Titans machine, filling in at hooker and playing with plenty of aggression in the back row.

But for all his on-field success Henry hinted that there were personal demons he was struggling to come to grips with.

"Paul has had an opportunity, we have put measures in place to help him out with a few of the issues he has in his life and he was making some progress there but to go and transgress again, especially when the courts have said he's unlicensed, that's unacceptable," Henry said.

"It's unacceptable to the players that he plays with and to the club and organisation as well as the rugby league community. It's unfortunate, we'll still support him in his endeavours to get back on track but it's likely that he's played his last game for the club.

"We're now down a player, a player who had a standout year, was our rookie of the year and was developing into a player that the boys liked to play alongside. Quite an aggressive player out on the field as well and he was certainly developing his skills so we're certainly going to miss him as part of our roster but we're fully aware that we can't have this type of behaviour at the club."

http://www.nrl.com/carter-expected-t...9/default.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Very disappointing. I for one am holding out hope that he hasn't played his last game for us.

Let the thumbs down rain upon me...

What an idiot, no tears here.

His actions don't surprise me. He's a noted Hooligan
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Titans CEO lost for words after Paul Carter was sacked for his second drink-driving offence in six months
    PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL
    DECEMBER 15, 2014 5:06PM

TITANS chief executive Graham Annesley has warned the club’s reputation is more important than any player after Paul Carter was sacked on Monday for his second drink-driving offence in six months.

In another public-relations disaster for the Titans, the club was left reeling after Carter, one of the NRL’s most exciting prospects, was charged with mid-range drink-driving while unlicensed.

The incident comes just days after Greg Bird was caught urinating next to a police car at Byron Bay, prompting the Titans to fine him $15,000 and strip him of the co-captaincy.

Carter, the son of Penrith five-eighth legend Steve, made his NRL debut in March and looked set for a prosperous career at the Titans after playing 21 games last season.

But his tenure at the Titans is effectively over after the 22-year-old was arrested by police at Surfers Paradise in the early hours of Saturday morning. In June, Carter was fined $12,000 by the Titans and slapped with a two-match suspension for his first drinking offence.

The promising back-rower or hooker has the opportunity to present his case at a club tribunal this week, but the Titans board will almost certainly formalise his termination given his track record.

Annesley, who can do without scandal as he continues his global search for a major sponsor, was left stunned by the latest off-field saga to rock the club.

“It’s the last thing we needed, I’m almost lost for words,” he said.

“Unfortunately, we’ve had a few guys get into trouble and that has set us back.

“It’s very sad for Paul, this is a terrible way for him to end his career at the club if that’s what happens.

“This is firm action, but we are serious about this, the reputation of the club is more important than any one player.”

Carter was set to play a key role in the Titans’ forward pack in 2015, but new coach Neil Henry said the club had given the utility enough chances.

“It’s likely that he has played his last game for the club,” Henry said.

“We have put measures in to help Paul out and he was making progress. But to transgress again is unacceptable to the club, the fans and the rugby league community.

“We’re down a player now, Paul was a handy player and we are going to miss him on our roster, but we are fully aware we can’t have guys misbehaving at the club.”

Asked if he would address Titans players before the Christmas break, Henry said: “We don’t need to read the riot act before they go away ... we’ll go away for a few weeks and hopefully there’s no further incidents.”
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Carter expected to appeal Titans sacking

Very disappointing. I for one am holding out hope that he hasn't played his last game for us.

Let the thumbs down rain upon me...
    I respect your right to an opinion so even though I disagree with your views on this one there will be no thumbs down from me. I keep the thumbs downs for trolls or people that are being deliberately antagonistic like our ex mate Coast Sports Fan.
    You'll have to do better if you want some thumbs down!

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I respect your right to an opinion so even though I disagree with your views on this one there will be no thumbs down from me. I keep the thumbs downs for trolls or people that are being deliberately antagonistic like our ex mate Coast Sports Fan.
    You'll have to do better if you want some thumbs down!
    So tempted to thumbs down this post for being so rational and polite. Haha.
    If it helps, I think your views, and those in agreement with it are pretty crap too... I just don't have the determination or thumb dexterity to justify my opinion via stupid on screen keyboard any further.

Will he be the first Titan sacked for off field behavior? Pretty impressive considering our location and some of the gambles the club has taken.

This wouldn't have happened on John Cartwrights watch