Default Henry happy to have competition for Titans fullback spot

Gold Coast Titans coach Neil Henry has had plenty of dramas, here’s one he’s happy about
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN
    DECEMBER 11, 2014 11:35AM

NEIL Henry has had a few headaches since taking up the Gold Coast Titans coaching post.

But there’s one that he is happy to have.

The battle for the coveted No. 1 jersey at the Titans is heating up.

The addition of Broncos star Josh Hoffman to the fold has heaped the pressure on vice-captain William Zillman to retain the jersey he has had a mortgage on.

Throw NSW Country Origin fullback David Mead into the mix and there’s some serious competition for one position.

Zillman has been setting the pace in pre-season training with Mead also in top shape.

Hoffman started later because of Four Nations commitments and has been on lighter duties because of some general soreness but Henry has been impressed by his star recruit.

“He’s been very good. He’s come back in good shape and got straight into it so he was a bit sore for the first week,” he said.

“We’ve started doing a bit more ballwork now. We’ve been rotating him, Zilly and Meady around the fullback spot and into the centres.

“He’s fitted right in. He’s getting a feel for the team.

“It’s a good headache. He’s a strike player who prefers to play at the back but Zilly wants to be there and he’s training the house down and Meady’s made no secret he doesn’t mind being the custodian as well.

“We’ve got a decision to make around that position. It will come down to trial form.”

The trio will get their first opportunity to impress at the Auckland Nines tournament on January 31-February 1.

The Nines will be launched in Sydney today with the Titans unveiling a new-look jersey for the second instalment of the nine-a-side tournament.

The club had a poor tournament this year and will be looking to improve in 2015.

One player who isn’t focused on starring at the Nines though is prop David Hala.

Hala linked with the Titans from Brisbane recently and has dropped 7kg in the past month.

But it’s regular first grade action he is chasing, not glory in the short version of the game, and Hala believes he is on track for that.

“I wanted to get down to 110kg. I weighed in at 119kg at the start of pre-season and now I’m 112kg,” he said.

“I’ll be pushing after Christmas to get to my target. I believe I play my best footy around that sort of weight.”
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Good work form Hala. He looked to be very involved in the training session the other day as well.

Yawn, another article about competition for the #1

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Good work form Hala. He looked to be very involved in the training session the other day as well.

Yawn, another article about competition for the #1
    Yeah it is very good to see that Dave is taking pre-season training seriously and really looking to improve himself. Hopefully he can lose those extra 2 kgs and get to 110kg. If he gets fitter and works on making himself healthier he could be our strike weapon in the forwards. Pre season trials will be interesting.

I am sick of the fullabck competition too. They just keep rehashing the same stuff over and over. I suppose though it is pre season and they have to keep producing articles. There will be at least another 10 before the season starts.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

I think Travis is doing a tremendous job.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I think Travis is doing a tremendous job.
    You may as well tell them mate..

I am over the fullback stories as well, however the Bulletin has been giving the Titans plenty of space during the off season which is good to see. Generally there is more in the paper about them than the Suns.
    .........and HS - do you want to enlighten us about your last comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I am over the fullback stories as well, however the Bulletin has been giving the Titans plenty of space during the off season which is good to see. Generally there is more in the paper about them than the Suns.
    .........and HS - do you want to enlighten us about your last comment.
    Think about it

Davidbouveng has 12 letters
    Travis Meyn has 10 letters
    Travis Meyn is 2 words
    10 + 2 = 12

Davidbouveng is Travis Meyn

...take it easy on him lads

Smoke and mirrors, it's all just smoke and mirrors HS ... we all know the actual truth. Don't be fooled, my friends, Travis Meyn is alive and well and undercover disguised as a mild mannered reporter but in fact while he pretends to live in Kiwi he actually runs around Brissie with his underpants outside his jeans.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.