Default Darius Boyd possibly out for 2015 season

@FOXSportsNews: BREAKING: @couriermail report @brisbanebroncos recruit Darius Boyd has suspected torn Achilles sustained at this morning's training #NRL

@abcgrandstand: Darius Boyd has reportedly snapped his achilles and will miss the 2015 #NRL season.

- - - Updated - - -

Brisbane Broncos: Darius Boyd snaps achilles, will miss six to nine months
    EXCLUSIVE: PETER BADEL
    THE COURIER-MAIL
    DECEMBER 05, 2014 9:16AM

BREAKING NEWS: THE Broncos’ title ambitions have been dealt a crushing blow with star recruit Darius Boyd suffering a suspected torn achilles this morning.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Boyd is facing up to nine months on the sidelines after the Maroons ace broke down 40 minutes into a Broncos training session at Purtell Park.

The 27-year-old is in his second week of pre-season and has looked in outstanding condition as Broncos coach Wayne Bennett prepared to unleash him on NRL rivals in the No.1 jumper.

But disaster struck at 7.43am this morning when Boyd crashed to the turf in agony as the squad performed a series of regulation shuttle runs.

Broncos players later revealed they heard a large “popping” sound _ believed to be Boyd’s achilles snapping _ shortly before the classy custodian hit the deck.

Boyd was assisted from the field by two staffers, including Broncos conditioner Alex Corvo, and looked visibly distressed as he was placed on a nearby bench for treatment.

The Test flyer had ice applied to his left foot while a Broncos medico made frantic calls to book scans for Boyd, who limped to a waiting car before leaving training for X-rays.

It was initially suspected Boyd had injured his calf, but Bennett believes his star import has suffered more serious damage to his left achilles.

The ice strapped to the bottom of his leg, rather than higher up on the calf, seemed to support Bennett’s worst fears.

Should scans confirm a ruptured achilles, Boyd faces a nine-month recovery _ meaning he could miss 16 rounds of the NRL season and possibly the State of Origin period.

In 2010, Broncos teammate Justin Hodges tore his achilles in pre-season in January and missed the entire season.

Speaking exclusively to News Corp, Bennett was philosophical this morning as he prepares to re-shape his Broncos backline by deploying Hodges at fullback.

“It’s the achilles. My initial thought is that’s footy, that’s life, we get on with it,” Bennett said.

“I just saw Darius on the ground, he’s done his achilles, so that’s the bottom line, it’s a six-month injury and we have to get on with life.

“They were just doing a simple training drill, we call them shuttles, and Darius did a turn and that’s as simple as it will be. It’s no-one’s fault, it just happens.

“There’s nothing we can do now. If you do enough training in life, things like that will happen.”

While Hodges is a fine replacement, the loss of Boyd is a seismic blow for the Broncos. He is one of the code’s best attacking weapons in the backfield and just last week, Bennett lauded Boyd’s condition and excellent history with injuries.

The master coach has been around long enough not to panic and insists the Broncos can cope with Boyd’s extended absence.

“We have a team of players, we are flying, it’s no dramas. I wish it didn’t happen but it’s happened,” he said.

“Halfway through the season he will be back playing for us, we’ll manage it while he’s away and get on with life.”

Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough was running alongside Boyd when the fullback suddenly collapsed.

“It didn’t sound too good,” he said.

“I was right next to him and I heard a pop. I thought it was his boot hitting his other boot, that’s the sound I heard.

“We were going pretty hard doing runs, then Darius did a one-point turn and just went down.

“He’s a professional. It’s heartbreaking. He’s come a long way and he’s going to have to show some character to fight back from this.”
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Maybe they should sign Zillman
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Maybe they should sign Zillman
    Titans should make a call.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Bet Benny wishes he had kept an extra FB now...... Yes lets see if they want the TP.

Yes, I hope they sign Zillman! Actually..doesn't Mead have a clause in his contract, where he can leave if he doesn't get the fullback spot or something of the like? Yeah, it would not surprise me if Zillman or Mead are off to the Broncos...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonbcode View Post
    Yes, I hope they sign Zillman! Actually..doesn't Mead have a clause in his contract, where he can leave if he doesn't get the fullback spot or something of the like? Yeah, it would not surprise me if Zillman or Mead are off to the Broncos...
    I highly doubt Zillman or Mead are off to the Broncos. We can't afford to pay Zilly out and Broncos don't need another fullback. They are both staying with us, for now at least.
    #iwillneverwalkaway