Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Josh Hoffman not guaranteed fullback spot at Titans

Star recruit Josh Hoffman not guaranteed fullback spot at Gold Coast Titans
    Ed Jackson AAP
    December 02, 2014 1:56PM

JOSH Hoffman is Gold Coast’s big off-season recruit but he still has to prove to the Titans’ coaches he’s the NRL club’s best option at fullback.

Hoffman quit Brisbane to join the Titans last month following Darius Boyd’s return to the Broncos, seeking to play more in his favoured No.1 jersey.

But if the 26-year-old thought he’d just walk into the role at the Titans, he’s got another thing coming in the opinion of Titans’ assistant coach Terry Matterson.

With Will Zillman and David Mead also aiming to be the club’s custodian in 2015, Hoffman is far from a shoo-in for the role. Matterson says every candidate will be given their chance to shine during the club’s pre-season and trial matches.

“Makes it interesting. There’s a few people vying for that fullback position,” Matterson said.

“Everyone needs to get an opportunity. That sometimes is easier said than done.

“Josh has only just come on board and the other guys are very accomplished in that role.”

Matterson believes the battle to secure the No.1 jersey is indicative of the steps needed to take in the Titans revival.

This year’s finish outside the top eight was the club’s fourth season in a row without finals football, resulting in a review of the club’s operations and the departure of foundation coach John Cartwright.

A two-time premiership player, Matterson says it won’t take much to turn Gold Coast’s fortunes around, in particular a hardening of the club’s mentality going into the new campaign.

“There’s a great opportunity here to freshen things up with the new people coming in and we’ve got some new players as well. That’s exciting,” he said.

“(It’s about) building a real mental toughness. An edge that when things do get tough, these guys are going to fight hard. We’re going to have some challenges throughout the year.”
    #iwillneverwalkaway

What? No Gordon in the mix?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    What? No Gordon in the mix?
    I was surprised to. Surely his solid games at fullback in 2014 earns him a chance to be our first choice fullback?
    #iwillneverwalkaway

god damn the bulletin is milking this hoffman - fullback thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    god damn the bulletin is milking this hoffman - fullback thing.
    Yeah I'm sick of hearing about it. It's obvious the Hoff is going to be our fullback. I suppose though, they need to keep making headlines.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

And the coaching staff have to say this to keep the others interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    And the coaching staff have to say this to keep the others interested.
    every player has been told their role from the coach. It's only Zilly and Hoffy training at fb. I will not be surprised to see Zilly get it
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    every player has been told their role from the coach. It's only Zilly and Hoffy training at fb. I will not be surprised to see Zilly get it
    Nope by the sounds of it Hoffman will be fullback, Gordon and Mead on the wings and Roberts and Zillman in the centres. That's what is being said in the media anyway. Not sure if you have heard different. Can't see Zilly getting fullback. Why would Hoffman move here and take a pay cut to play centre?
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    So how did Meady react to that considering he was told that he would be given a chance at FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Nope by the sounds of it Hoffman will be fullback, Gordon and Mead on the wings and Roberts and Zillman in the centres. That's what is being said in the media anyway. Not sure if you have heard different. Can't see Zilly getting fullback. Why would Hoffman move here and take a pay cut to play centre?
    Looks like u have answers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    So how did Meady react to that considering he was told that he would be given a chance at FB.
    reacted like..........normal
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Might wanna get used to the idea of Hoffman as a Centre.
    Last edited by Toads; 02-12-14 at 10:47 PM.

Junior

Why Toads?
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

I tend to think he'd be of more use to bolster our attack and defence on our left edge, that has been quite soft for some time. And if he packs on some more kilo's like I expect him to do, it sorta reaffirms my view (to me).

Now someone tell Birdy that game plan, and we might be able to put more points on the board, in future.

Rep Player

Dear Jebus. Please put Don in the centres over Zilly....I cant take another year of him stinking up the joint!

Breaking news, Darius Boyd has snapped his achilles and is out for the season......... Bet Benny wishes he had kept an extra Fb now....
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/d...05-120uab.html