Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2015 All Stars

If anyone isn't going, can I ask why?

I like the concept a lot, but I think it is facing some threats.

1. Gold Coast / Titans situation
    2. The hiatus in 2014
    3. Blanket coverage of NRL 9s and also throw in the World Club Series
    4. High ticket prices

Hopefully they target Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich as well as Northern Rivers. Gold Coast can't carry this alone.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    If anyone isn't going, can I ask why?

I like the concept a lot, but I think it is facing some threats.

1. Gold Coast / Titans situation
    2. The hiatus in 2014
    3. Blanket coverage of NRL 9s and also throw in the World Club Series
    4. High ticket prices

Hopefully they target Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich as well as Northern Rivers. Gold Coast can't carry this alone.
    I am not going and have little interest. I have been once and that's because I had freebies. To me the match means nothing and as many players are withdrawn it shows that some players/clubs also don't rate it. That said I appreciate that the concept does assist many of our kids with the outreach activities that the players do.
    Interest in the match is waning and even though they got 41,000 the last time in Brisbane, it was taken away from the Coast as they were certain that they would fill the 52,000 Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.
    Charging $101 for a Category 1 ticket and over $70 for Cat 2 is crazy and moving the game to Friday night will not help either. People are still paying off xmas and there is the season about to start - only so much $ to go around.
    My kids are keen though and they are going.

The concept is worthy, though the venue/s might be missing the mark (IMO). If anything, it might work better if they took the game to a different regional area each year. For instance, next year I'd give it a crack up at Townsville (1800Smiles), then try it at Moree (or similar) the following year and so on..

It'd be a shame to lose it, but I think it's time they might have to rethink it and possibly lower their expectations during the process..

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I am not going and have little interest. I have been once and that's because I had freebies. To me the match means nothing and as many players are withdrawn it shows that some players/clubs also don't rate it. That said I appreciate that the concept does assist many of our kids with the outreach activities that the players do.
    Interest in the match is waning and even though they got 41,000 the last time in Brisbane, it was taken away from the Coast as they were certain that they would fill the 52,000 Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.
    Charging $101 for a Category 1 ticket and over $70 for Cat 2 is crazy and moving the game to Friday night will not help either. People are still paying off xmas and there is the season about to start - only so much $ to go around.
    My kids are keen though and they are going.
    Good points on price and timing. Friday is stupid. I remember seeing giant convoys of buses come from all over when it was on Saturday or Sunday. Whatever day it was.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I remember a lot came over from Alice Springs. The Bulletin is now saying ticket sales surged yesterday and that over 20k is likely. It also seems that they have increased the number of Cat 3 bays to make it more affordable. It's a bit strange but you pay $101 for Cat 1 and sit in bay 23 and right across the aisle you could be in bay 24 in Cat 3 at $35! That's according to the ground plan on Ticketek.

NRL boss Dave Smith is predicting a healthy crowd for Friday night’s All Stars game on the Gold Coast

NATIONAL Rugby League boss Dave Smith has played down concerns over the state of rugby league on the Gold Coast, but stopped short of guaranteeing the future of the All Stars game.

The focus of Friday night’s indigenous All Stars clash has surrounded the lack of ticket sales for the exhibition match.

The NRL is predicting a crowd of 15-20,000 at the 27,400-seat Cbus Super Stadium for a match that has been near a sellout the previous three times it has been played on the Gold Coast.

There also has been suggestions the Titans are being propped up financially by the NRL amid rumours it will be relocated to Brisbane or Ipswich. Smith was on the Gold Coast briefly yesterday, attending a youth summit at Surfers Paradise where the All Stars team joined 60 children.

The NRL CEO briefly faced media to discuss the controversy surrounding South Sydney’s Arizona assault cover-up and said he wasn’t worried about the Gold Coast losing interest in rugby league.

“We’re heading OK,” he said. “The sales (for tomorrow night) are going OK and I’m sure it will be a good crowd.

“It’s important to think about the week as well as the crowd.

“The game will be big. Watching the players and the way they’re interacting, they’re all very excited about being here. Ticket sales are fine — it’s not a big issue. You’ll have a good healthy crowd there.”

Smith flew to the Gold Coast in September last year to announce the Titans had secured their future with plans to construct a new headquarters at Coomera.

The club has since backed out of those plans and from November will become a resident at Parkwood International as part of the golf course’s $100 million redevelopment.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley said he was dumbfounded by the persistent talk of relocation.

“I don’t know where these rumours start,” he said.

“The fact is, the NRL have consistently said that they are absolutely committed to the Gold Coast and the Titans on the Gold Coast.

“This is an important area of rugby league heartland.

“There’s no suggestion from anyone that this club’s going anywhere. I really don’t know where these stories originate.”

The future of the All Stars concept has become a talking point given the poor support it has received this year.

The match is expected to be played in Brisbane next year.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

I'm a fan of the All Stars but I see no reason why it must always be on the Gold Coast.

Take it to Perth!

Seems the NRL are putting some money behind the promos. Im at least seeing lots of facebook ads about the All Stars.

How about radio and newspaper closer to home?

I spoke to a couple of the All Star Players yesterday & when Bennet got the group together for the 1st time he said, the Indigenous believe that this is their game & they have the right to win it ,their team was picked by a public vote , i chose this team myself , they have some very good players in the backline but look at our forward pack .... lets bash them in the middle & finish them out wide..

In Horse Racing terms the All Stars should be like Black Caviar ... no pun intended
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I spoke to a couple of the All Star Players yesterday & when Bennet got the group together for the 1st time he said, the Indigenous believe that this is their game & they have the right to win it ,their team was picked by a public vote , i chose this team myself , they have some very good players in the backline but look at our forward pack .... lets bash them in the middle & finish them out wide..

In Horse Racing terms the All Stars should be like Black Caviar ... no pun intended
    Yeah great Wayne.
    Picks the team and ensures few Broncos (one, Corey Parker) are picked and then they withdraw Thaiday who is training with the Broncs this week.

OK tuned in for my first RL game of the season. Well yea... forgot about Nines!

First quarter observations:
    Gallen is still a grub of the worst type. The tackle on Turner was ok in my opinion but the follow up elbow across the face. WTF in a game like this. At least it shows they are serious I guess
    Bad errors from Ryan James
    The touch judge that was near that no try that told the ref it was a try should be punted. How can they say they want to use the video ref less if they have clowns like that on the line.
    Basically, no change from past years!
    But it's great to have the footy back.

Crowd looks ok.

So great to see Presto back on the turf of Robina, didgeridoo in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Crowd looks ok.
    A bit sp**** on the tv side. They are saying 25 plus on the tv but it is closer to about 22-23k I think. Still not bad but there was two for ones all week and it was extended to all categories today.
    If you haven't heard Karmichael H did not have a great night. Reds beaten 47-3 in Canberra. Ouch.

Funny how sp**** gets edited because of the last 4 letters!