Default R.I.P Phillip Hughes

Phillip Hughes dies after being knocked unconscious during Sheffield Shield match at SCG

PHILLIP Hughes has died from head injuries suffered on Tuesday when he was hit in the head by a bouncer at the SCG, Cricket Australia has announced.

The Australian cricketer underwent brain surgery and has been has been in an induced coma in Sydney’s St Vincent’s Hospital.

Hughes did not respond to treatment and was pronounced dead on Thursday, stunning a cricket world that had rallied behind him since the terrible incident.

“It is my sad duty to inform you that a short time ago Phillip Hughes passed away,” said CA doctor Peter Brukner in a statement.

“He never regained consciousness following his injury on Tuesday.

“He was not in pain before he passed and was surrounded by his family and close friends.

“As a cricket community we mourn his loss and extend our deepest sympathies to Phillip’s family and friends at this incredibly sad time.

Cricket Australia kindly asks that the privacy of the Hughes family, players and staff be respected.”

Scroll to the bottom of the page for our live blog of the latest updates.

Hughes fell to the SCG turf seconds after attempting to hook a bouncer from Sean Abbott during the Sheffield Shield clash between NSW and South Australia.

Hughes received CPR at the scene and was then taken by ambulance to nearby St Vincent’s.

St Vincent’s Hospital spokesman David Faktor said Tuesday: “He underwent a set of scans to establish the extent of his injuries and then a decision was made to perform surgery.

“I understand they intubated him at the scene. He is the best of hands and surrounded by a leading team.”

NSW team doctor John Orchard accompanied the South Australia batsman to hospital.

The left-hander initially put his hands on his knees after being hit, before falling down onto the pitch face-first.

The Blues players immediately rushed in to help their former teammate and called for medical help from the dressing rooms.

Hughes was eventually stretchered off in a medicab and appeared to be receiving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, with close friend and former Test teammate David Warner alongside him.

The 25-year-old was taken to the edge of the field, where a sheet was erected so spectators could not see him receiving treatment.

A medical helicopter landed on the field a short while later, with play suspended.

Teammates and friends have kept a vigil at the hospital in the hours since Hughes’ admission.

The 25-year-old - he was due to turn 26 on Sunday - played 26 Tests and scored 1,535 runs at 32.65, including three centuries.

He was considered a front runner to replace injured Michael Clarke in the first Test against India starting next week.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Absolutely devastating! I feel for his entire family as well as Sean Abbott and family.

RIP Phillip..

Lost for words really. I am going to the test starting Thursday, if they play it, and it will be a very weird atmosphere. I want to go but I feel very flat about the whole thing if that makes sense.
    From what cricketers across the world are saying it is obvious you would not meet a better man.