Default Daniel Mortimer aiming to become the starting halfback at the Titans

Daniel Mortimer is aiming to become the starting halfback at the Gold Coast Titans
    AAP
    NOVEMBER 25, 2014 3:35PM

IT sounds strange for a player with over 100 NRL appearances, two grand finals and one premiership to his name, but 2015 could be the making of Daniel Mortimer.

The ex-Parramatta and Sydney Rooster joined Gold Coast midway through last season in the hope of more first grade opportunities.

Since his arrival at the Titans, regular first-choice halfback Albert Kelly has departed to England’s Super League, opening the door for Mortimer to become the club’s main playmaker next season.

After an astonishing debut campaign with the Eels in 2009, which culminated in a grand final appearance, Mortimer’s career has never really got going.

He left the Eels after a lacklustre 2010 campaign to join the Roosters in a utility role behind established halves pair Mitchell Pearce and James Maloney.

A premiership in 2013 was his reward but Mortimer left the Roosters to become a top dog at a club and knows it’s now or never time at the Titans.

“It’s probably my biggest season yet to be honest,” Mortimer told reporters after hosting a clinic for disadvantaged children at the Titans Learning Centre.

“It’s the best opportunity I’ve had in a number of years, that’s for sure. I’m really keen to make this a big one for myself.”

Despite injury having plagued Kelly during his two years at the Titans, when he was fit he formed a dangerous pairing with five-eighth Aidan Sezer.

Mortimer knows establishing a similar connection with Sezer will be key if the Titans are to end their run of four straight years without a finals berth.

“There’s all the makings there for a really good combination; we just have to keep working for ourselves and for each other,” he said.

“I’ve been hanging out for this opportunity for a couple of years now ... if we’re going to make the eight, I’ve got to step up.”
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 25-11-14 at 05:43 PM.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Kane Elgey is a beast in waiting. He will be the final key to Henry's plan to improve the teams attack.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Kane Elgey is a beast in waiting. He will be the final key to Henry's plan to improve the teams attack.
    I think Morts will start the season at 7 but Kane will take jersey off him not before too long
    #itaintweaktospeak

Geez you blokes are giving huge wraps to a bloke that hasn't even played QCup (I think that is right) yet and has only played against boys. The last player at the Titans that had such huge wraps was Jordan Rankin. Oh.
    Really hope you are right as we badly need a classy half.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Geez you blokes are giving huge wraps to a bloke that hasn't even played QCup (I think that is right) yet and has only played against boys. The last player at the Titans that had such huge wraps was Jordan Rankin. Oh.
    There's no comparison Rankin was way too young at 16 to be thrown into 1st grade & he wasn't a 7 , Kane is almost 21
    #itaintweaktospeak

I would love a fresh face with cheek and creativeness in our 7 ... bring him on.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    like I've stated before I've seen all the young halves come through the Titans and he's at the top of the list. I'm getting the same excitement about him as I did with DCE. Of course he's totally unknown but I think he's going to bring an exciting element to Titans footy.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

Dave is rad,Dave is hot,Meady has a scrumptious bot.