NRL season 2015: Josh Hoffman not bitter about Broncos exit, focused on Titans future
Peter Badel The Courier-Mail
November 25, 2014 12:00AM

JOSH Hoffman says he isn’t bitter about Darius Boyd’s arrival at the Broncos as he prepares to become the Titans’ fullback version of Cowboys legend Matt Bowen.

Broncos discard Hoffman managed a wry chuckle as rugby league’s planets aligned wickedly in Queensland on Monday.

While the Kiwi Test ace was being paraded in Titans colours for the first time, across town the Broncos unveiled their latest recruit Boyd — the very signing that forced Hoffman out of Red Hill.

“That’s a nice coincidence,” quipped Hoffman when told of Boyd’s appearance at the Broncos.

“For me, there’s no ill-feeling towards Wayne (Bennett, Broncos coach) or Darius.

“Actually, I’m very thankful to Wayne for this opportunity. He has been very professional in my transition to the Titans.

“Even recently, Wayne has been in contact with my manager making sure everything is OK with me so I understand it’s a professional game and I really appreciate what he did for me.

“The Broncos are a great club but that’s in the past — my commitment now is to the Titans.”

The Courier-Mail understands Hoffman has the inside running for the Titans’ No. 1 jumper and the 109-game NRL veteran is primed to bring some attacking magic to Gold Coast’s backfield.

As a kid growing up in Mackay, Hoffman idolised Cowboys sensation Bowen. Titans coach Neil Henry mentored Bowen for five seasons between 2009-13 and Hoffman plans to display the type of attacking intent that made Bowen a tryscoring wizard.

“Matty Bowen was someone I looked up to and he inspired me,” Hoffman said.

“At his age, it’s amazing what he does. He’s still playing in England (for Wigan) and I can take a lot from his game. A lot of indigenous kids look up to him and I hope I can bring some of that skill to the Titans.

“In saying that, there’s areas I need to improve on at fullback and I think Neil Henry can provide good tools for me in that position.

“My ball-playing skills can improve. Neil worked with Matty Bowen and I’m hoping he can bring the best out of me and I can play some good football under him.

“Fullback is the position I’d love to play at this club, but there are other players (William Zillman and David Mead) who are gunning for the position and they are trying hard to impress.

“Whatever decision the coach makes, I’ll support.”

Hoffman dismissed suggestions the Titans faced another season of pain following the retirement of star forward duo Ashley Harrison and Luke Bailey.

“This club can be a force in the years to come,” he said.

“There’s big changes with the Titans that are happening so I’m looking forward to working with a great bunch of players.

“There are Origin players here like Nate Myles and a guy like James Roberts who is one of the quickest players in the competition so hopefully I can contribute to a good season.”