Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thanks for posting this HS. I've re-watched many, many times already. For my own sake, as much as anybody else's... I thought I'd do a little bit of video analysis for fun.

Disclaimer: I am aware that it is more or less arbitrary to analyse a highlights reel of a player, especially one as young as GL. There is simply too much all together left out of the clip for any kind of meaningful conclusion to be reached. I reiterate, this is just for fun, and is something a lot of NFL fans do over at r/NFL (reddit) for no purpose other than to stimulate discussion and negate boredom during pre-season/bye weeks!

PLAYER | Greg Leleisiuao* | 18 YEARS OLD | 90 KGs | 180CM | FULLBACK/CENTRE

Things I like:

- The upper and lower body strength to bump off and break through would be tackles [@3:57; @9:50], push for meters after contact [@3:11] and turn half holes into full-blown open field breaks [@2:21] is very good.
    - Ability to fend with both right arm [@00:21] and left arm [@2:38].
    - His speed looks around average for an outside back of his build, however what he lacks in blistering top gear pace, he makes up for with explosive acceleration [@2:07; @2:41; @4:24].
    - With this limited footage, it's easy to assume that GL is a predominantly direct runnner of the ball, who likes to square defenders up and go through them, there is enough to suggest that he is equally adept at either floating to the outside when the line is sliding [@ 2:37], or change it up and swerve while accelerating passed approaching edge defence that shoots out of the line [@5:12]. So pretty to watch
    - His footwork is perhaps his most impressive attribute. What an ars3nal.
    * Left foot
    * Right foot
    * In and away (Left>Right [@7:58] and Right>Left [@8:12])
    * Shimmy [@00:44]
    * Goose-step [@00:41]
    * Benji skip-step [@1:00] and the odd Karmichael jump-step for good measure [@7:42]... He can turn blokes inside out on a dime.

For me, what is perhaps most impressive, is his ability to utilise his wide array of skills just as adeptly on both sides of the field (as seen in the stunning plays @7:58 and @8:12)

Things that need work:

- His ball security [@3:04; @ 3:53; @08:41]. Quite a few dropped/stripped balls in this highlights video and while it's hard to tell how many of these errors come down to his handling - he can be sure that oppositions will test him on this facet of his game with increasing levels of aggression/gamesmanship at each step up towards first grade.
    - His offloads. Again, love the urgency in his game and his willingness to extend the play. His ability to get an arm free is exceptional, but as you can see in the tape, many of his offloads go wide of the mark. Hopefully this part of his game is refined rather than coached out of him.
    - Passing game. While there clearly is a nice pass in him [@7:22], GL is obviously a run-first guy, which I love. That said, there is evidence to suggest that some opportunities go begging due to this tendency [massive un-utilised overlap at @7:54]. With the amount of defenders he draws to him on every play, I hope he is already working on a nice short pass at the line, and watching guys like Hodges to learn how to line-up his outside men.
    - "Hero ball". So called for the (usually young) NFL QB prospects who jump to the low-percentage, hail-mary long-pass without considering all options first. Greg looks to want to score on EVERY play. His sometimes wild offloads, reticence to pass, (and one unsure kick) indicate a desire to be the guy who puts on the winning play when perhaps sometimes it's not needed. This is not an inherently bad tendency, but is something that can potentially undermine a young player's progress if not managed/coached wisely.

Is he a guaranteed superstar who is ready for the NRL right now? OF COURSE NOT! But based on these clips alone (even taking into account everything they don't show like his defence, motor, fitness, injury history etc etc) ... his ceiling seems extraordinarily high.

* In my mind, Greg's last name sounds like "LEH-LAY ISY-YA-OW" with the 'LELEISIUAO' pronounced similar to the Rooster's TAUKEIAHO - but I'm absolutely guessing, and I'd love to know for sure...
    Last edited by K2G; 22-05-15 at 02:48 AM.

It's le ley see u ow

Good analysis though Can confirm GL is a good defender too

Looks Slippery....

Onya K2G, saved me doing it I totally agree and in short think that he is indeed a rare talent who will improve out of sight with some quality coaching. I must admit, some of his team mates weren't too shabby either but suffered a bit from having such a big personality in the team ... that part really needs work.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Nice video put together , if not for an injury I'm sure he would've got a start this weekend
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yes I would like to see him get a start. Thought he was playing well to get selected. How long is he out for?
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

we really have some good kids coming through. hopefully the NRL side over next 1-3 years can build and these kids can come intoa good system

Title says Five Eighth but you can see hes a hooker. Running from dummy half for 80% of it

Looking good. No wonder we didn't feel the need to chase Purcell. It will be interesting to see what our bench looks like next year given the limited interchanges and the amount of hookers we have available.

Proof that our attack is getting better. Could hardly believe my eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post

dam iggy really committed to that decoy line

nice vid and elgey's skill was the difference between that being a try and the play being shut down

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    dam iggy really committed to that decoy line
    You can hear Paasi drop an F* bomb in the game audio. He was very upset not to receive the ball, would've scored for sure.

What gave me the most joy from Elgey's contribution in this play, was that it demonstrates his adjustment to the speed of top level NRL. In our Rd 20 thumping by the bronco's, Kane was shutdown all night by big guys flying out of the line and limiting his time ... I was worried about how he'd bounce back from it (and the K.O which ended his night). Plays like this one against the Raiders shows that he is already learning to adapt to being targeted. Love watching him play.
    Last edited by K2G; 01-09-15 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post

not trying to put the sads on the topic but that play was a diamond in the rough for this ur

If we were to say the Titans attack was getting better you would see this type of backline movement at least 5 times a game either side of the ruck.

All I have seen over the last month is 6-8 ppl Indian file behind the ruck cramping the hell out of the TV screen, it's terribly chaotic.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    not trying to put the sads on the topic but that play was a diamond in the rough for this ur

If we were to say the Titans attack was getting better you would see this type of backline movement at least 5 times a game either side of the ruck.

All I have seen over the last month is 6-8 ppl Indian file behind the ruck cramping the hell out of the TV screen, it's terribly chaotic.
    Progress is progress, despite the magnitude. I haven't seen anything resembling this type of forethought / execution for the past two, possibly three seasons ... We are by no means an attacking powerhouse, but doesn't this tiny little 'gem in the rough' excite you teke? Even just a little bit??