Default Retired Gold Coast prop Luke Bailey undergoes spinal surgery

Retired Gold Coast prop Luke Bailey undergoes spinal surgery to avoid life in wheelchair
    TRAVIS MEYN
    GOLD COAST BULLETIN
    NOVEMBER 14, 2014 2:49PM

FORMER Titans warhorse Luke Bailey has undergone delicate spinal surgery after being told he was one accident away from life in a wheelchair.

Bailey was back on the Gold Coast yesterday recovering after going under the knife on Tuesday at the Mater Hospital in Brisbane.

The 34-year-old veteran, who was forced into retirement with a neck injury this year after 269 NRL games, had the C5 and C6 discs replaced and a C6-7 fusion.

Bailey carried the problem for the past two years but it became worse following an awkward tackle during what would be his final NRL appearance against former club St George Illawarra in Round 24.

The operation by spinal surgeon Dr Geoffrey Askin was a success and Bailey said he was relieved to be in the clear.

“I saw him in February and he said I don’t need an operation but after the last one (Dragons tackle) he said ‘it’s time to get it out’,” Bailey said.

Titans' Luke Bailey in action during his career for the Titans. Picture: Jerad Williams
    “I got scans and the disc was hammering the spinal cord too much. I could be in a car accident and get a bit of whiplash and I might be in trouble.

“I had to get it out and replaced. Now it’s on the way to healing. I had some X-rays (yesterday) and he said it all looked all right. It’s up to me to look after it.”

Bailey reluctantly sat out the final game of last season – a thrilling comeback win against the Bulldogs – after being told he was one tackle away from being left paralysed.

The former Test prop said the thought of not being able to care for wife Rebecca and children Amarli, 10, Hudson, 7, and Lexi Rae, 5, made him *realise how serious it was.

“Just before the Doggies game they said I couldn’t play (and that scared me),” he said.

“I tried arguing but they told me I could end up in a chair. Since then I’ve looked after myself and it’s been all good. It feels all right now.

“I’ve just got to do bugger all for a few months.”

Bailey’s neck issues started in 2013 and he would regularly overcome pain and stiffness to make it on to the field.

His final match was his 150th appearance for the Titans and club physiotherapist Greg Condon said it took a monumental effort for him to take the field some weeks.

“He’d been battling it for a while,” Condon said.

“It wasn’t a problem day to day but if he got a crusher tackle, even a small one or a high tackle, it would set it off and he’d be stiff and sore.”

Bailey is sporting a 5cm wound on the front of his neck and is on restricted duties for three months.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Junior

Good luck to Bails. Put his body on the line for the Titans again and again. Thank goodness it was not one time too often.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Great decision by his advisors and my heartfelt wishes to him for a speedy recovery ... this is the bloke that should remain on our books as a shining example of what makes a great rugby league player.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.