Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hooker Matt Srama is fighting to save his NRL career after being told he is unwanted

PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL NOVEMBER 07, 2014 11:00PM

A SHATTERED Matt Srama is fighting to save his NRL career after being told he is unwanted by the Titans — just five months after signing an upgraded contract.

Regarded as the Titans’ No.1 hooker two years ago, Srama is now in limbo, with the courageous rake a casualty of the new regime being implemented by coach Neil Henry.

Srama seemed to be a key part of the Titans’ plans when he signed a two-year extension in June under foundation coach John Cartwright, who blooded the hooker in 2011.

But Cartwright’s resignation six weeks later has had dire implications for Srama, who has been given permission by Henry to negotiate with rival clubs.

The 23-year-old can elect to stay and fight for a Titans starting spot, but has slipped to being the fourth-choice hooking option behind Beau Falloon, Paul Carter and Daniel Mortimer.

It is another crushing blow for Srama, who is on the comeback trail after undergoing surgery eight weeks ago to correct a congenital defect in his hip and groin.

The Titans have offered to broker a move to English club Hull, mindful Srama will likely languish in the Intrust Super Cup if he opts to remain at the Coast.

“Matt has met with Neil Henry and they’ve told him he is free to go,” said Srama’s brother and manager Paul.

“There is a contract for him in the UK if he wants to go and the Titans would give him an extra $50,000 if he wanted to play over there.

“But Matt is not really keen on moving overseas at this stage. He’s just bought a new home.

“We’ll look around and see if there is interest from NRL clubs but ideally Matt is keen to break back into the Titans.”

Srama had a fine rookie year in 2011 and was dubbed a potential State of Origin hooker after a superb follow-up season in which he played 23 top-grade games.

But a series of shoulder and groin injuries restricted Srama to just six games last season, allowing Falloon to take an iron-clad grip on the Titans’ No.9 jumper.

Paul Srama said the hardworking hooker, who has played 62 games for the Titans, didn’t see the blow coming after inking a deal until the end of 2016.

“To get this news now, Matt is pretty gutted,” Paul said.

“The basic message is if he sticks around, he will be stuck behind Falloon, Carter and Mortimer. He has the option of staying but if he does he’ll basically be playing Queensland Cup.

“Matt is disappointed because he’s put his body on the line for the club. He played with a busted shoulder when the club was struggling, he’s played needled up, and now he’s been told he can leave.

“Everything is up in the air. Matt believes he is the Titans’ best hooker and he wants to play first grade, but it looks like he might have to do it somewhere else.”

- - - Updated - - -

This is a real shame.

Carter is not a hooker. Falloon is terrible. They should at least give Srama the off-season to prove his worth. Fair enough if it's that they're worried about his durability- but, i can't understand how anyone could come to the conclusion that Falloon is fourth in that pecking order based on footy ability.

I do like that Mortimer is being considered. Get him out of the halves...

Henry and co. must have some other hopeful signing moves in mind to still be looking to shed guys at this stage of the pre-season.

Sad news for Srama as I think he is the best hooker at the club. Can't believe that Falloon will be our hooker. If he is then he must stop those stupid shimmies out of dummy half and needs to add spark to our attack.

So it looks like our spine for 2015 may be:
    1. Hoffman
    6. Sezer
    7. Mortimer
    9. Falloon
    #iwillneverwalkaway

If I was Srama I'd bolt overseas

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Sad news for Srama as I think he is the best hooker at the club. Can't believe that Falloon will be our hooker. If he is then he must stop those stupid shimmies out of dummy half and needs to add spark to our attack.

So it looks like our spine for 2015 may be:
    1. Hoffman
    6. Sezer
    7. Mortimer
    9. Falloon
    Falloon is a much better passer from dummy half than srama. The difference is quite significant
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    If I was Srama I'd bolt overseas

- - - Updated - - -

Falloon is a much better passer from dummy half than srama. The difference is quite significant
    Falloon kills our attack with his flat passes from dummy half. Not to mention he throws multiple forward passes a game. Falloon's not terrible but Srama is the better hooker.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Falloon kills our attack with his flat passes from dummy half. Not to mention he throws multiple forward passes a game. Falloon's not terrible but Srama is the better hooker.
    i prefer Srama but he cannot pass to save his life. You can thumb that down til your fingers fall off but it's true. His skill set is not very good
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    i prefer Srama but he cannot pass to save his life. You can thumb that down til your fingers fall off but it's true. His skill set is not very good
    Have to agree Teke. I have been critical of Srama standing and passing from dummy half. Ball should be passed directly from the ground. When he stands to pass he is allowing the defence time to advance.

Additionally I don't think that Falloon is too much better but Falloon is more vocal on the field and provides a bit of niggle at times.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I'm putting faith in Henry. There are plenty of players that I have given some slack to because of them having to play under Carty. We have a legitimate coach now who obviously has big plans and I'm eager to see how they pan out.

I've always been a fan of Srama and if he was coached properly(taught to kick) and was injury free I think he would be in the second tier of hookers in the comp (after the rep players) by now. But it hasn't gone that way

Before I comment I would like to state for the record I like Srama...he has greater speed out of dummy half then the other options...but this highlights the complexity of compiling an existing playing roster whilst also having an eye towards the future. Srama has had some unfortunate history with injury and if he chose to he could very well return to the top grade with some solid performances in the very near future.
    Decisions like these indicate that nothing is granted anymore and performances on and off the field will determine their personal playing futures with the Titans. This gives the players a message that is very powerful in my mind...perform or move on!
    Henry is making it very clear in my opinion what is required from the players!

i must have had some crazy pills again last night...Falloon is a 'terrible' hooker? Thats an odd statement. even if he wasnt oue best option (which i think he is) he is far from terrible.

his flat passing is pretty much the standard in the NRL. Cam Smith, Farah and all the top guys throw borderline forward passes most of the game to try get that advantage. i hate it actually, but its unfair to single out Falloon for it.

Srama is an good kid, probably a victim of injury and poor coaching

now for Mortimer... he might be in the hooking rotation, but he specifically came here to not be a hooker. he had that role in a premiership team. he moved here to fight for the halfback spot. he has been quoted on that. Even roosters coach Robinson didn't want to let him go, but did because he couldn't guarantee him a shot at the 7 jumper. not we play him at 9 or of the bench hooker...Robinson would probably be pissed as much as Mortimer.

not saying he is entitled to play halfback just cos he came here. but it wont end well

I was firmly in Falloon's camp at the early part of last season but as the year went on he got worse, not better. Very predictable.
    So I am a bit disappointed that it looks like curtains for Srama but that is overshadowed in my book by the fact that Henry is stamping himself very clearly on this team and that is what I wanted to see.
    He might make the odd bad decision but a bad decision is better than no decisions as was happening before.

That's sad for Srama. Personally I'd prefer to see him in a rotation with Carter, if we're going to develop Carter as a hooker. Falloon lacks size and creativity. Once again we aren't privy to the whole picture and are only seeing pieces of the puzzle so we need to keep faith in King that he has a specific plan for certain peoples talents.

Just a question, if Mortimer is in the hooker mix then who are our halves? Seems weird that you would upset our halves before giving Srama a shot if injuries came into play. Starting to wonder where Zillman or Hoffman may end up.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Decisions like these indicate that nothing is granted anymore and performances on and off the field will determine their personal playing futures with the Titans. This gives the players a message that is very powerful in my mind...perform or move on! Henry is making it very clear in my opinion what is required from the players!
    I don't know how you get that that is the statement Henry is making from Srama being asked to move on after one week of preseason training. It would've been a much stronger message to make after 8 - 10 weeks of everyone having been given a shot to really prove themselves. For me, the timing of it just seems like Henry likes Falloon more, which is the opposite of 'perform or move on.' I'm not butt hurt about it though. I get that there are a number of unseen factors that need to be weighed up to make the decision to cut a guy - many of which we just aren't privy to. If he's not the future of the club, may as well move him on and figure out who is .... just beats me how anyone can think that person is Falloon.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i must have had some crazy pills again last night...Falloon is a 'terrible' hooker? Thats an odd statement. even if he wasnt oue best option (which i think he is) he is far from terrible.

now for Mortimer... he might be in the hooking rotation, but he specifically came here to not be a hooker. he had that role in a premiership team. he moved here to fight for the halfback spot. he has been quoted on that. Even roosters coach Robinson didn't want to let him go, but did because he couldn't guarantee him a shot at the 7 jumper. not we play him at 9 or of the bench hooker...Robinson would probably be pissed as much as Mortimer. not saying he is entitled to play halfback just cos he came here. but it wont end well
    Agree to disagree about Falloon I guess DB, terrible being a relative term. A+ for effort in defense, but ball in hand, he has got to be bottom tier NRL wide. It will be interesting to see how he plays under a different coach, because it seemed to me like a large reason for our predictable, slow, boring and ineffective play last season came down to his lack of speed, footwork, creativity or vision around the ruck. The way he'd kill momentum with a slow 'dart' out of dummy half only to be held up for ages letting the defense get back onside and line-up, or how he'd telegraph who he'd be passing to or where he'd be running, the way he'd move away from the defensive line before passing, instead of towards it almost instinctively... the forward passes and dive over attempts. I don't know how to quantify terrible i suppose, but I just don't think he was effective when we had possession. Which says alot about our season considering he won the Broughton medal.

As for Morts, I flat out couldn't disagree more. Who cares where he wants to play? It's about what is best for the team. He is a better hooker than he is a halfback right now, and he is even more valuable as a bench hooker, providing back-up for an injury in the halves - maybe he isn't happy with that, but it is what it is. I'm pretty sure Dave Taylor would be our half-back if we started letting players dictate what position they play in. At the end of the day, Cartwright brought him here as we were thin in the halves. Mortimer himself took the gamble to try and make the 7 his own, but more importantly, to get off the bench and establish himself as a starting NRL player. Cartwright is no longer the coach, Mortimer had a great opportunity to show what he could do at 7 and went ok, but now the landscape has shifted and he may still have an opportunity to claim a starting jersey in the 9, if Henry goes another way in the halves (which he will by mid season imo). He'll play wherever the coach tells him to, because that's footy. If not, he'll walk - no big loss anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    I'm putting faith in Henry. There are plenty of players that I have given some slack to because of them having to play under Carty. We have a legitimate coach now who obviously has big plans and I'm eager to see how they pan out.
    This is where I'm at as well mup23. While I have my preferences and opinions, I'm absolutely stoked about the fresh start, and am 100% behind Henry and co. I'm a Mead > Hoffman guy, I really liked Kelly and I rate Srama as well - but like you say, I'm super keen to see how the changes pan out, even if i personally disagree with some of them. We needed change, we asked for change, we're getting change. Bring it on.

[QUOTE\]The 23-year-old can elect to stay and fight for a Titans starting spot, but has slipped to being the fourth-choice hooking option behind Beau Falloon, Paul Carter and Daniel Mortimer.[/QUOTE]

This Badel story is from the Courier Mail at 11pm last night and he has not even mentioned Kierran Moseley in his article? (We have signed him haven't we??)......so I guess someone has to go, although I would have preferred that Srama was at least given a chance (if this article is fact of course) before he was told he was not needed. Seems harsh the bloke gets knocked down and a kick in the teeth before he even gets a chance to throw a punch. (Under the new regime).

I know nice guys don't win football games. But I have met and spoken with Matt on at least 3 occasions and you would not find anyone more humble. (except maybe me)

Ah, possibly Badel bull$h!t again!... Matt has said..and I quote..."Haha its all good brother, dont always believe what u read"

If we have signed Moseley then the whole debate is just academic ... Srama hasn't been axed he's been allowed to negotiate knowing he already has a contract, that means it's his choice. He can take the challenge or not ... I feel he is our second choice 9 if fully fit after Falloon who has his own issues. Moseley will need to establish himself but you can feel that Henry would like a bit more wiggle-room in the cap.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.