Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gold Coast Titans keen on Josh Hoffman

Gold Coast Titans keen on Josh Hoffman after Kelly and Blair leave

THE Gold Coast Titans are realistically in the market now for wantaway Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman after the shock departure of halves Albert Kelly and Maurice Blair to the UK Super League.

Reports of the Titans opening talks with Hoffman surfaced earlier this month, however there was little hope of the club fitting the star under the salary cap.

Hoffman was granted permission to explore offers from other clubs by new Broncos coach Wayne Bennett after being told he was not guaranteed the fullback role.

It is understood the Canberra Raiders have offered $600,000-plus a season to secure the Kiwi Test star.

However, the weekend announcement of Kelly, 23, and Blair, 30, transferring to Hull KR in England for next season makes for a whole new ball game by giving the Titans some salary cap flexibility.

Gold Coast coach Neil Henry believes his club now has the cash to attract a quality fullback or centre to the club with Hoffman a possibility.

“He (Hoffman) would be a player we’d be interested in,” Henry said.

“There is no doubt he is a quality player (and) I think we can certainly be in the market.”

Henry believes the Gold Coast lifestyle would be a big selling point for Hoffman as opposed to relocating his wife and young daughter.

“If it comes down to where he wants to live then we think we can be attractive on that end,” Henry said.

“We are not up there competing with the real cashed up clubs (but) there will be some player movement with a few clubs juggling their salary cap.”

Hoffman’s manager Paul Hogan confirmed he has held talks with Henry and new Titans recruiter Jamie Mathiou, however no official offer has been made.

“I’ve had some conversations with Neil (Henry) and Jamie Mathiou,” Hogan said. “There has been no further movement. We’re taking it a little bit at a time, make sure we are making the right decision.”

The possibility of Hoffman joining the Titans would create a logjam for the No.1 jersey with William Zillman and David Mead.

But Henry said if Hoffman joined the Gold Coast there was no guarantee he would be given the fullback role.

“It is all hypothetical (but) he is a player who can play centre, five-eighth and fullback,” Henry said.

Titans CEO Graham Annesley yesterday denied the release of Kelly and Blair was linked to the club’s salary cap sanctions handed down by the NRL last week.

The club was fined $225,000 with a further $75,000 and four competition points suspended for two years in relation to a breach involving the contract of former captain Scott Prince in 2012.

“It is completely unrelated (to the salary cap fine),” he said.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Glad to hear, I'm all for Hoffman positive steps in the right direction. Let's just hope the lure of playing on the coast under a new system is something he wants

Just seeing Mathiou's name being thrown in there as a point of contact makes me feel much more confident about us securing players.

Im a bit torn on hoffman. I dont want him as a centre, but im not sure he would bring more than Mead would at fullback. However at the same time, he may be our only hope of getting Zillman OUT of fullback.

Maybe we can pay the raiders to take Zillman?

$600k from the Raiders,,,there must be a $300k living away from home allowance attached to that figure...

If they sign him for $300k I'd be happy with that
    #itaintweaktospeak

TITANS SURGE INTO FAVOURITISM TO SECURE HOFFMAN
    Rugby League Week
    October 20, 2014

A WEEK ago they were feeling the salary cap squeeze but now the Gold Coast Titans could be on the verge of snaring the best fullback on the open market.

Neil Henry’s shock decision to release backs Albert Kelly and Maurice Blair to join Hull KR in the Super League has immediately eased the club’s 2015 salary cap strain, putting them in prime position to capture disgruntled Broncos custodian Josh Hoffman.

The Warriors and the Dragons are also said to be in the hunt for Hoffman, however with the opportunity to stay in Queensland and the ability to offer the 26-year-old a starting fullback gig – the Titans have now surged into favouritism to secure his services.

“He (Hoffman) would be a player we’d be interested in,” Henry told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

“There is no doubt he is a quality player (and) I think we can certainly be in the market.

“If it comes down to where he wants to live then we think we can be attractive on that end.

“We are not up there competing with the real cashed up clubs (but) there will be some player movement with a few clubs juggling their salary cap.”

Hoffman’s manager Paul Hogan confirmed he had been in talks with Henry over a potential deal, however at this stage, no offer has yet been made.

“I’ve had some conversations with Neil (Henry) and Jamie Mathiou (Titans recruiter),” Hogan said.

“There has been no further movement. We’re taking it a little bit at a time, make sure we are making the right decision.”

Last week the Titans were fined $225,000 with a further $75,000 and four competition points suspended for two years relating to a breach dating back to 2012.

However, CEO Graham Annesley denied the release of Kelly and Blair were anyway relating to the sanctions handed down.

“It is completely unrelated (to the salary cap fine),” Annesley told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    $600k from the Raiders,,,there must be a $300k living away from home allowance attached to that figure...

If they sign him for $300k I'd be happy with that
    100% correct ... but where does he fit? left centre? ... if we re-deploy Zillman out of position, like anywhere in 1st grade at all other than on the wing, then we are truly kidding.
    Last edited by Titanic; 20-10-14 at 06:46 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

If Hoffman signs with us he must play fullback. I rate him above both Mead and Zillman. He is defensively strong and runs the ball back with impact and intent. Mead should be our second choice fullback but I would rather an international at the back. Hoffy would be great at centre but he would preform much better at FB. Mead is also an exceptionally good winger who has played his best footy there.

I'd be stoked with Hoffy here cause it will mean Mead walks
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't see why people rate Mead over Hoffy. Here is from an article in 2013 about Hoffman:

There can be little doubt about the quality of Hoffman's running game. He made more tackle breaks than any other player in the NRL in the 2013 regular season (a bragging right that was Barba's the year before). He can also do the job in defence, ranking third in the league for try saves last season.

Hoffman crossed for 15 tries in 2012 – seven more than any other Bronco – while also leading the club for line breaks and ranking second (behind Kangaroos workhorse Corey Parker) for metres gained.

Hoffy is an established fb in a better side, of course he's going to have better stats.

Mead is trying to become an established FB and I've told him many times it wont be for the Titans.

He should go forth and get his dream wherever he can, most prob in the UK.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

What player in their right mind would leave the big league to play in the UK? If Mead does want to stay in the NRL he will have to suck it up and play wing because no club needs him atm. Hoffman>Mead for fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    What player in their right mind would leave the big league to play in the UK? If Mead does want to stay in the NRL he will have to suck it up and play wing because no club needs him atm. Hoffman>Mead for fullback.
    As I see what player wouldnt want to leave this mess of a club when you've been Zillman'd after getting 4 or 5 Dally M pts from 6 games, 4 MoM, PLayers players in a Rep. If you need more reasons, you can throw in more money, more fun, playing in a position you desire to improve at...shall i go on?

Scary words - He's not guaranteed to get FB if Titans got him....lol....why else would we chase him.

Zillman is one powerful dude
    Last edited by teke; 20-10-14 at 08:45 PM.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    As I see what player wouldnt want to leave this mess of a club when you've been Zillman'd after getting 4 or 5 Dally M pts from 6 games, 4 MoM, PLayers players in a Rep. If you need more reasons, you can throw in more money, more fun, playing in a position you desire to improve at...shall i go on?

Scary words - He's not guaranteed to get FB if Titans got him....lol....why else would we chase him.

Zillman is one powerful dude
    lol'd

Zillman'd (verb) - the act of being ****ed over by you're coach for his bromance relationship with William Zillman

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    I don't see why people rate Mead over Hoffy. Here is from an article in 2013 about Hoffman:

There can be little doubt about the quality of Hoffman's running game. He made more tackle breaks than any other player in the NRL in the 2013 regular season (a bragging right that was Barba's the year before). He can also do the job in defence, ranking third in the league for try saves last season.

Hoffman crossed for 15 tries in 2012 – seven more than any other Bronco – while also leading the club for line breaks and ranking second (behind Kangaroos workhorse Corey Parker) for metres gained.
    Couldn't agree more. The infatuation some have with Mead as a FB, based on very little evidence, surprises me a bit. I would take a proven fullback over one that MIGHT be a good fullback any day.